Password

Album Review

Razbari Sumthing - Forget the Words EP Album Cover

Razbari Sumthing - Forget the Words EP

Reviewed by
Razbari Sumthing - Forget the Words EP
Release Date: 2003
Record Label: Unsigned

It's not everyday you come a cross a band who literally overwhelms the listener with talent, excitement, and the craving for more, even more notably only after seven tracks. Razbari Sumthing manage to create an undescribable energy on their sophmore, six song effort, Forget The Words. Having released the disc themselves, it unfortunately tends to go virtually unnoticed amongst the general public, not to mention the less-than hearty assistance from the dying popularity of ska itself. However, this is a collection that deserves recognition, praise, and most of all, deserves to be noticed.

The EP opens with "Cardiojennacide", which could actually be described as an atypical choice for a record kickoff, due to the slower pace in comparison to the rest of the remaining tracks. Nevertheless, it's an impressive opener complete with infectious hooks, with all aspects being complemented nicely by the bands massive horn section. "True Love", the bands second offering, draws more straight-forward influences from traditional ska than anything else found here, as well as an attractive reggae vibe. Persoanlly, I feel this is not only where the groups lead vocalist Mike Larkin proves his ability to shine, but additionally bassist Rory Edwards is highlighted accurately. "I Feel Fine", the records third track, stands as probably the most authentic, accurate representation of the bands sound as whole. Furthermore, the guitar work from Chris Markle displayed here is equally as appealing as the bands self-descriptive, penetrating sound. "For Your Mother", though by no means a dissatisfactory song, is quite easily recognizable as the weakest track in place amongst the handful offered. On the other hand, the EP's fifth track, "Cuidado (Piso Mojado)", is undeniably one of the most remarkable, jaunty ska anthems I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. With unfortunately truthful lyrics depicting where a career in this business will get you (relationship wise), this is without a doubt the epitome of the near twenty minute running time. Trumpet players Vincent Giarrusso and Derek Brainard show off their admirable ability in the tracks breakdown, which notably emphasizes some amazing potential. "Stuck in Mediocrity", which is technically the last acclaimed track, seems to be the most popular amongst the majority. Not only does the song include a reference to one of the most powerful, influential third-wave ska bands of all time ("Fairy god mother, please wave your magic wand. I don't want to be another Reel Big Fish in a tiny pond."), but precisely characterizes the incredible talent behind the bands rhythm section, including the aforementioned Rory Edwards and now departed drummer Justin Ezzo.

Regardless of how many readers feel I am wrongfully stretching my appreciation for this disc, and how many people feel i''ve exaggerated my thoughts, I whole-heartedly stand by every word I just spit out. Forget The Words is not only an almighty sophmore release, but moreso a collection of infectious, long-lasting hymns describing the ups and downs of daily life. When asked to describe their sound, Razbari Sumthing respond with something along the lines of "a musical circus act", and I couldn't agree more. All factors aside, it all boils down to one truth: few bands can create this type of energy; Razbari Sumthng is one of those bands.
This review is a user submitted review from Brandon Allin. You can see all of Brandon Allin's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version