AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Self Against City - Take It How You Want It E.P. Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.5
Production 6.75
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.42
Lyrics 9.33
Production 9.58
Creativity 9.08
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Self Against City - Take It How You Want It E.P.

Reviewed by: ALI.v.s.FRAZIER (11/30/05)
On April 5th, 2005 Drive-Thru Records gave birth to its sister label Rushmore Records with a healthy 6 song E.P. from Sacramento California’s Self Against City. Take It How You Want It, Rushmore Records inaugural release from this 5 piece follows the road that groups like Mae, Copeland, and The Rocket Summer paved over the last 2 years but still is stapling the pop/punk Drive-Thru sound that we all have come to know.

The first track on the record, “The Process (Tonight),” is a great opening track full of catchy lyrics and hooks that are sure to get the little hearts of all the scenesters pumping. “Speechless,” in my opinion, was a little sluggish and I felt it wasn’t placed well on the album to keep the energy going after the opening song. I first heard the song on the Rushmore compilation and while it is a decent it just doesn’t grab my attention like some of the other tracks. The album then picks up where the opening track left of and pumps out more catchy hooks with “All This Time,” “Let You Go,” and the title track “Take It How You Want It.”

These tracks really make the record enjoyable and show the ability this band has to become a well known name in the Drive-Thru/Rushmore roster. The closing track entitled “Always” is my personal favorite on the records. Not only is it a great song, it really closes out the 6 song E.P. well and leaves the listener anticipating the full-length that these boys are working on. Self Against City and Rushmore Records debut Take It How You Want It is an excellent start to what seems to be a promising label. ** 7/10 **

self against city@purevolume

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
12:47 PM on 11/27/06
luvmusic1017
User Info.
I love this ep!! and i cannot wait for the full length in january!!!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums