AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Recommended News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Staff Recommendations (12/04/05)

Posted by - 10:34 PM on 12/03/05
The staff recommendations for the week can be found below; please click 'read more' to view them all.

Jason: Morrissey. Dare I say the greatest living song-writer?

Brandon A.: I had my good buddy Rory Edwards from Razbari Sumthing join me. Check it out!

Drew: Strokes, Strokes, Strokes. I love "Juicebox" and I cannot wait for this album. The Strokes new album, First Impressions Of Earth is awesome. Buy it January 3rd.

Rohan: Boys Like Girls, August Burns Red, Quietdrive, and Goodbye Tomorrow.

Garett: I recommend...

Darren: Something for everyone this week. Check it out right here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 64
10:40 PM on 12/03/05
Sycro
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Read More" doesn't exist until other people actually post their lists :)
10:45 PM on 12/03/05
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Originally Posted by Sycro
"Read More" doesn't exist until other people actually post their lists :)
Just trying to stay ahead of the game, my man. :)
10:59 PM on 12/03/05
minusthejosh
Kill the big pig
User Info.
acoustic ataris - just got back from the acoustic ataris show. i would have to say that if it comes anwhere remotely close to you, you should go. hands down one of the best peformances i have ever seen. kris and john played 4 or 5 new songs and they sounded amazing. if you doubt that "welcome the night" will not be good, then go see kris play them acoustic and be prepared to be blown away. also if you go you can get a great cd of acoustic covers done by kris. all i can say is that "welcome the night" has just jumped up to my most anticipated cd of '06, even above brand new or anything like that. now go see for yourself.
11:02 PM on 12/03/05
rellish91
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yeah im pretty stoked for the strokes...
11:04 PM on 12/03/05
The Silencer
the one above all
User Info.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
11:07 PM on 12/03/05
elvis2x
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by AnoFxI10

Great movie.
11:08 PM on 12/03/05
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
Music

Ray LaMontagne:
Such a soulfoul voice that you can't go wrong. He's an amazing singer live too, which makes me incredibly sad at the thought of all those American Idol contestants. Check out "Trouble", and be on the look out for new stuff that sounded amazing live.

M. Ward: Goes sort of unnoticed by him, but I hope that since Jared is posting some more 'indie' news that we'll see a few posts about him. "Transfiguration of Vincent" is my favorite album.

Jenny Lewis: First solo albumfrom this siren of Rilo Kiley fame drops in January. I heard "Rabbit Furcoat" all way through this past week and I'm impressed. It was a bit more of a country twang to it, but that shouldn't keep you away. Definitely going to buy this, and you should too (if you dig it).

Neutral Milk Hotel: A favorite of some around these parts, but I'm recommending them because a few demos were unearthed. Specifically, I'm focusing on recommending "On Avery Island" because that has a tendency to get overshadowed by the follow up. Go listen to "Song Against Sex" right now, it will get stuck in your head forever.

Junior Boys: Think Postal Service minus the cutesiness (not that that's a bad thing). The beats all sound a little more sensual to me. Interested? Go check out "Last Exit" from 2004.

Northstar: I know some of you might think "With his music tastes why does he even come here?". Well, aside from the ever-present warm receptions ( :bigsmile: ) bands like Northstar keep me coming back. Pollyanna did everything right in my book, and I busted out Is This Thing Loaded? earlier this week too. I really miss this band and can't wait to hear more from Cassino.

Something Corporate: Ignoring "Punk Rock Princess" and "If You C Jordan", both of which bugged me since day one, Leaving Through The Window has some fantastic songs (not to mention that I Woke Up in a Car name-drops Po-Town). Cavanaugh Park is such a great song. Any takers?

"Movies"

Scrubs, Season 2:
While no where near as good as the first season in my opinion, it picks up as the season progresses. Then again, virtually nothing good touch the first season for me. It was just in the right time and the right place right when I needed it. So, I recommend that too.

Anyone have any movie recommendations for me? I haven't seen any in forever and I need things to watch when I get home after finals. So far on my list:

Books

"Privating Education: Can the Marketplace Deliver Choice, Efficiency, Equity, and Social Cohesion?" by Henry M. Levin: Okay, so I'm cheating a bit since I'm reading this book for my research paper. But it's intersting though...honest! The title says it all. Read it if it interests you.

Has anyone read "The Amateur Marriage" by Anne Tyler? I bought it a while back, but never had time to read it and was curious if anyone has an opinion on it. Thanks.
11:09 PM on 12/03/05
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
Listen to this man. Fantastic movie. I can't believe that Jim Carrey went from this to some dumb-looking holiday movie (i think...i remember seeing a brief commercial not too long ago).
11:09 PM on 12/03/05
I am all talk
May 29, 2009
User Info.
I recommend everyone gives the knicks some credit for almost beating the pistons
11:11 PM on 12/03/05
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by FeynmanWannabe
"Privating Education: Can the Marketplace Deliver Choice, Efficiency, Equity, and Social Cohesion?" by Henry M. Levin: Okay, so I'm cheating a bit since I'm reading this book for my research paper. But it's intersting though...honest! The title says it all. Read it if it interests you.

What did the book say? I'm a huge libertarian (and economics major), so that sounds like my kinda thing.
11:14 PM on 12/03/05
1check_1love
True Punk Fan
User Info.
my recs

Paulson "All At Once" - Came out the last week of November. Paulson is a solid band and their CD is really good. For fans of Minus the Bear and Dredg.

A Love like Pi "A Love like Pi" - Even though this ep only consists of 3 songs, each song is special in its own way. Solid solid band.

The Class of '98 - These newcomers to TMG will be your next favorite pop band. period.
11:16 PM on 12/03/05
crit
@CRlTTER
User Info.
Originally Posted by minusthejosh
acoustic ataris - just got back from the acoustic ataris show. i would have to say that if it comes anwhere remotely close to you, you should go. hands down one of the best peformances i have ever seen. kris and john played 4 or 5 new songs and they sounded amazing. if you doubt that "welcome the night" will not be good, then go see kris play them acoustic and be prepared to be blown away. also if you go you can get a great cd of acoustic covers done by kris. all i can say is that "welcome the night" has just jumped up to my most anticipated cd of '06, even above brand new or anything like that. now go see for yourself.

what non-old songs did they play? i'm seeing them twice next week, i'm dying to know.
11:17 PM on 12/03/05
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by 1check_1love
my recs

Paulson "All At Once" - Came out the last week of November. Paulson is a solid band and their CD is really good. For fans of Minus the Bear and Dredg.

A Love like Pi "A Love like Pi" - Even though this ep only consists of 3 songs, each song is special in its own way. Solid solid band.

The Class of '98 - These newcomers to TMG will be your next favorite pop band. period.

I like your recs very much.
11:19 PM on 12/03/05
zeketheplmbr
erection selection
User Info.
Originally Posted by AnoFxI10

That movie hits me hard, I love it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives