Username
Password
TV News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
TV
Inside AP.net

Bon Iver Turned Down Playing the Grammys

Posted by: Jason Tate (02/03/12)
In a recent interview with Billboard, Justin Vernon said that Bon Iver was asked to play the Grammys if the band collaborated with another artist. Justin said, "...and all of a sudden we were being asked to play music that had nothing to do with that. We kind of said 'fuck you' a little bit and they sort of acted like they wanted us to play, but I don't think they wanted us to play."

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 105
10:05 AM on 02/03/12
Ryan Dennehy
Seriously, the Grammys are the worst.
10:06 AM on 02/03/12
IceAge/HeatWave
hello earth
User Info.
wonder who they would have made him collab with.
10:07 AM on 02/03/12
carcrashofahart
climb is all we know
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
now don't show up! thanks.
10:10 AM on 02/03/12
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
The only person I could rationalize them collaborating with would be Kanye. Otherwise, I completely agree that they should be up there to showcase their own work.
10:14 AM on 02/03/12
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
he ain't winning shit now
10:16 AM on 02/03/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Seems kinda condesending to me. Its like "We're better than the rest of you, and as such only want to play our better music". All the issues they raise about it are beefs with the Grammys in general, but then why don't they just say "We don't want to play the Grammys because fuck the Grammys?". Implying that they *would* play if they got to do their own song all by themselves just makes them appear to be a bunch of selfish jerks.

Seriously, Bon Iver makes a lot of great music. But so do a lot of other bands that wouldn't turn down a chance to play at the grammys just because they had to share the stage with someone else.
10:18 AM on 02/03/12
Mibabalou
Desolate Earth :: The End Is Here
User Info.
Bon Iver is a boss.
10:22 AM on 02/03/12
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
Would love to see him play Bon Iver stuff, or play with Kanye. I like the line, "We kind of said 'fuck you' a little bit".
10:24 AM on 02/03/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Seems kinda condesending to me. Its like "We're better than the rest of you, and as such only want to play our better music". All the issues they raise about it are beefs with the Grammys in general, but then why don't they just say "We don't want to play the Grammys because fuck the Grammys?". Implying that they *would* play if they got to do their own song all by themselves just makes them appear to be a bunch of selfish jerks.

Seriously, Bon Iver makes a lot of great music. But so do a lot of other bands that wouldn't turn down a chance to play at the grammys just because they had to share the stage with someone else.
You can't actually believe this ... what the hell?
10:24 AM on 02/03/12
xJesusFreakx
duh please
User Info.
We obviously don't know the details, but this sounds like he was being a prima donna. No need to take this so seriously. It's the Grammys. I know it's hip and marketable to reject 'em, but come on, have some fun with it.
10:25 AM on 02/03/12
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.

yeah, i feel you. i fucking adore Bon Iver, etc., but the guy can come off like quite a twat at times
10:25 AM on 02/03/12
carcrashofahart
climb is all we know
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

you must be new.

and there goes the kanye wank. *face!palm*
10:30 AM on 02/03/12
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.

You really can't blame the guy for wanting to be true to his music, and it's his choice whether or not to play. If he had gone up there and done a song of his in collaboration with some pop star, everyone would start to cry "sell out."
10:31 AM on 02/03/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
You can't actually believe this ... what the hell?

All I'm saying is the reasons he gives doesn't lineup with the actions taken. I'd completely understand if he thought the Grammys were a farce and didn't want to play for that reason. Or if he didn't like being told to play a specific song of theirs and didn't want to play for that reason. But how is saying "I don't want to play with someone else" not completely selfish?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests