Password

07:40 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
bobthebaker81
Maywood, NJ
Male - 23 Years Old
Thought i would on here. Hate all you want

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr....cH1gxC80LsY%3D

"With all due respect, I don’t think I’ve ever been so disgusted with what one would call our present-day local “music scene”. Hell, I don’t even see why we are flattering ourselves claiming it as such.

I would like to know when all of these free, emotionally-driven, basement born shows had manifested into such a gluttonous, parasitic cult, led by the stereotypical, conniving, money-hungry promoters who do nothing but milk musicians of their time and talent, promising them a measly opening slot on their so-called “show” as long as they can manage to sell what to them is a “quick 50 tickets worth $15 a piece”. Little do these sloths know, they are forcing a negative mindset amongst the new musicians, bands, and fans only one generation’s length away, creating an irreversible domino effect of false impressions and ideas. Convincing the same handful of friends to come to the same shows they have already seen a dozen times builds nothing but aggravation, not a better fan base.
I have this relentless ulcer of frustration consuming me from the inside out, caused by those who advertise violence and destruction as a point to see them play, or encouraging their fans to harm against one another in an effort to make their live performance more entertaining to make up for their inadequate musicianship. And we have those involved on the other side of the spectrum, whose sole purpose creating a “band” is for no other reason than to persuade an underage female to sleep with them on the back of their tour bus at local shows, festivals, etc.

Anyone reading this article has witnessed this pitiful state of where we are in this time, we’ve already seen it to believe it. New Jersey (as well as everywhere with this similar situation), where are you? Where has everyone been this past decade?
Why do I feel like I am one of the outspoken few who has the true willingness to take a strong stand?
Yes, maybe I am only a single human being of a youthful 19 years, but no longer am I impressionable. Furthermore, I know anyone else who has been around this dumpster-of-a-scene long enough isn’t either.
As only one underground band in this monstrous pool of people we will not be able to pull this off single handedly. This is a shout out to all of the unseen bands, fans and friends within our own area code as well as the outside world. All of your favorite bands will venture miles upon miles to perform for you, and just imagine their reaction to an unresponsive crowd (if they even have one) or to the promoter barely tipping them their amount due for gas. There’s no worse feeling than leaving a show empty-handed, whether it be making new friends or having a nice plate of food to eat. In some cases the band may have such a terrible experience they may not even want to come back on their next tour.

While we were on our “HOTSummer Tour” of 2011, a promoter/ musician’s activist by the name of Jared Bowers from Hamilton, Ohio, replaced the burden of bitterness and helplessness in our minds with nothing but love, nurture, and hope in all its purest elements. Without a question or favor to ask, he had taken us from the road, and had held us captive under his wings of hospitality. He ordered us plenty of food, beverages, and even friends to claim our own. Not only has he treated us this way, but he has also done this with more notable bands, such as The Swellers, O’ Brother, Evan Weiss from Into it. Over It., and many others to follow. I preach to put a positive spin on their long day of travel. Maybe provide them with a warm place to stay. Maybe cook them a meal. No matter how large or small our “gift” will be, the lengths of your generosity will never be taken for granted, I assure you. It’s always the simplest things that we remember, especially when we put all that we have, our jobs, our personal hobbies, or even our relationships on the line to deliver an honest message to you, as a great, yet humble attempt to impact your life for nothing but the better.
So why am I here? What is the point of my blunt anger and honesty?

On behalf of my highly held respect for all fans, friends, bands, and solo musicians, I want you all to know you’re not alone in this “fight for what is right”.

Say what you want, do what you want, and above all, feel what you want. I can promise you all your fans and listeners will want to hear the truth, and with validity and passion behind your words, thoughts, and musical ideas, you WILL “market”. Never think that you must write something in order to “conform” to what some may claim as better or more professional, because at the end of each song you have submitted something to the rest of us on this planet and cannot take it back, joining this “domino effect” in leaving new impressions on your listeners and fans. I’d like to think of my words as an opportunity for rebirth, a Renaissance in this time of uprising. I, and my band “Hands on the Stereo” are looking to bring back our once healthy and thriving music scene, cultivating and reassembling our strong ties that once held the framework of our family between humble musicians together.

And as a parting message, to those promoters who try to put a price on our musical expression, the last time I checked, true expression has only been found in the heart. Not in a fucking wallet.

-Matt Trawinski of Hands on the Stereo."
07:44 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
So where am I supposed to feel sorry for this dude? Bad promoters are nothing new, either deal with it like every other band ever does or quit while you're ahead and get a job/go back to school. I'd support the latter as this dude clearly cannot handle the harsh reality of the music industry.
07:53 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
cowlord
( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
Dayton, OH
Male - 20 Years Old
Yeah. I like this band, but it's kinda hard to sympathize. He's doing what he loves to do, pursuing his dream. If it were easy there'd be way more fish in the sea. This is how promoters are...awful.
08:02 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
BigG1392
I have a crippling fear of heights
I-75
Male - 22 Years Old
Isn't that the whole point of an industry?
08:02 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
Agree about the shitty promoters and selling tickets bullshit. But also gettin' sick of 'we aren't trying to make money so we're better than those other bands who make money' mindset too. Can't ya'll just play music?
08:06 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old

The second hand embarrassment from that is so strong.
08:07 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
cococrisp20
3Hunna
Agree about the shitty promoters and selling tickets bullshit. But also gettin' sick of 'we aren't trying to make money so we're better than those other bands who make money' mindset too. Can't ya'll just play music?
this post made me

good job, sir.
08:08 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Palm Coast, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
Ugh, what a wordy douche.

'Pop punk that feels, not pop punk that sells'
08:13 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
Harker Heights, TX
Male - 23 Years Old
"Shut up and play music." - Dustin Harkins
08:14 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
FayeQC
you're pretty fetch.
England
Female

this this this.

Music can mean something while being successful at the same time.
08:15 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
Hope this thread derails into talking about how douchey that shirt/attitude is.

"We're REAL music, straight from the heart!! We don't care about money at all!! BUY this new shirt tho!!"
08:18 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Palm Coast, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
DEFEND POP PUNK!!!
08:22 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
Funny how the dude who posted this happens to have a tacky DEFEND POP PUNK avatar.
08:23 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old

So I'm guessing this band consists of four high school kids and one of their dads?
08:23 AM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
Jacksonville, FL
Male - 27 Years Old

The second hand embarrassment from that is so strong.

Haha, I love that. He complains about promoters doing what they do, when he promotes this message.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos