User Info.
KingsCrossing
What are you waiting for?
Queens, NY
Male
The Reproduction of Privilege

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.c...-of-privilege/

Quote:
Instead of serving as a springboard to social mobility as it did for the first decades after World War II, college education today is reinforcing class stratification, with a huge majority of the 24 percent of Americans aged 25 to 29 currently holding a bachelor’s degree coming from families with earnings above the median income.

Seventy-four percent of those now attending colleges that are classified as “most competitive,” a group that includes schools like Harvard, Emory, Stanford and Notre Dame, come from families with earnings in the top income quartile, while only three percent come from families in the bottom quartile.

Anthony Carnevale, director of the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce and co-author of “How Increasing College Access Is Increasing Inequality, and What to Do about It,” puts it succinctly: “The education system is an increasingly powerful mechanism for the intergenerational reproduction of privilege.”
12:18 AM on 03/14/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
`
Chico, California
Male - 23 Years Old
Only 24 percent of people between 25 and 29 have college degrees? I definitely thought it was way above that.
05:47 AM on 03/14/12 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
this seems to me to be making a strong argument for radically reducing the cost of higher education.
06:59 PM on 03/14/12 
User Info.
plyb
true progress
Male - 26 Years Old
Sigh, these comments... can't believe these people live around me. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...th-making.html
08:23 PM on 03/26/12 
User Info.
Mitch
this is water
Jamaica Plain, MA
Male - 26 Years Old
Not sure that this has anything to do with race, but I went shooting with a friend (who's black) today in a small town not too far from here, and we found the remains of a building (just pillars). Looked pretty cool, and it was in an open area next to a house and an apartment complex. Absolutely no "No Trespassing" signs or anything. Well, first we noticed graffiti that said, "FUCK NIGERS [sic]," and we turned to each other and thought that maybe we weren't in the best area, but we continued to snap photos. All of a sudden, some guy opens the door to his deck and stands watching us for a minute, and then decides to start screaming at us to "GET OUT, YOU'S TRESPASSING" and then his wife joined him and started screaming, "GEEETTTT OUTTTAAAAA HEEEE.'" Almost started shooting photos of them but decided not to start trouble.

Not sure if that had anything to do with race, but I thought I'd share. Place was a hellhole--confederate flags everywhere, people staring as down from trucks, etc. Honestly never felt more uncomfortable in my life.
08:44 PM on 03/26/12 
User Info.
Mitch
this is water
Jamaica Plain, MA
Male - 26 Years Old
Oh and one time I opened the Trayvon Martin thread.
10:12 PM on 03/26/12 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 28 Years Old
Oh and one time I opened the Trayvon Martin thread.
haha you just beat me to it, I was gonna link it.
10:14 PM on 03/26/12 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 28 Years Old
Only 24 percent of people between 25 and 29 have college degrees? I definitely thought it was way above that.
the number of uneducated registered voters in the US sickens me.
10:36 PM on 03/26/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Delaware
Male
Not sure that this has anything to do with race, but I went shooting with a friend (who's black) today in a small town not too far from here, and we found the remains of a building (just pillars). Looked pretty cool, and it was in an open area next to a house and an apartment complex. Absolutely no "No Trespassing" signs or anything. Well, first we noticed graffiti that said, "FUCK NIGERS [sic]," and we turned to each other and thought that maybe we weren't in the best area, but we continued to snap photos. All of a sudden, some guy opens the door to his deck and stands watching us for a minute, and then decides to start screaming at us to "GET OUT, YOU'S TRESPASSING" and then his wife joined him and started screaming, "GEEETTTT OUTTTAAAAA HEEEE.'" Almost started shooting photos of them but decided not to start trouble.

Not sure if that had anything to do with race, but I thought I'd share. Place was a hellhole--confederate flags everywhere, people staring as down from trucks, etc. Honestly never felt more uncomfortable in my life.

I mean...you ARE from York PA....haha
11:15 PM on 03/26/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
`
Chico, California
Male - 23 Years Old
the number of uneducated registered voters in the US sickens me.

Elitist!
08:34 AM on 03/27/12 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 28 Years Old
truth. I'm not ashamed.
08:42 AM on 03/27/12 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
i'm a super northeastern elite. i was at the miami airport for 5 minutes before internally judging everyone around me and feeling superior.
08:44 AM on 03/27/12 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 28 Years Old
I had a transfer at Dallas forth-worth heading to a super elitest conference on the west coast. I feared for my life, didn't leave the terminal.
06:24 AM on 03/28/12 
User Info.
redsox1988
No Avatar Selected
Birmingham
Male
a friend of a friend managed to replace how we would use "lame" or "sucks" with "jewish". like, "ah you couldn't make it to the show, that's so jewish". unreal.
06:35 AM on 03/28/12 
User Info.
birdman
Don't hold your breath
No Avatar Selected
Atlanta, Ga
Male
The psychological effect of racism:

When discussing having children with my partner, she began crying and decided that we shouldn't have them, since they could be subject to random acts of violence like the situation in Florida, where a black teenager was murdered by a white neighborhood watch captain because he was suspicious.

quote from former Texas NAACP leader CL Bryant:

Quote:
“Why isn’t somebody angry about that six year old girl who was killed on her steps last weekend in a cross fire when two gang members in Chicago start shooting at each other? Why is there no outrage about that?”
“The epidemic is truly black on black crime,” Bryant told TheDC. “The greatest danger to the lives of young black men are young black men.”

Via

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version