Password
This Thread is Closed.

04:27 PM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
this is even better:

Quote:
. We respect the fact that blacks make good football players. But we believe that by looking at football and sports overall through an objective lens rather than simply accepting the propaganda slant of the media, it is clear and obvious that whites are just as good as if not better athletes than blacks. To give just one example, even though whites are only 10 percent of the world’s population, they win over 90 percent of the medals at the Winter Olympics and over 70 percent of the medals at the Summer Olympics, including many medals in sprinting and jumping.
04:47 PM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 29 Years Old
The psychological effect of racism:

When discussing having children with my partner, she began crying and decided that we shouldn't have them, since they could be subject to random acts of violence like the situation in Florida, where a black teenager was murdered by a white neighborhood watch captain because he was suspicious.
07:23 PM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Xuut
Always carry a towel
Canada
Female - 18 Years Old
My brother has told my Chinese immigrant mother (who doesn't speak English well) a billion times that "n*gga" and "n*gger" are two totally diffrerent things. He is a skinny, tall, Asian male who thinks he's the shit and goes around saying things like that around my seven year old brother and nine year old sister and my twelve year old sister.

The to promptly claim he's "not racist" because "it's the truth". He's 18. And wanted to be a lawyer.

The funniest thing ever was the one time we were in downtown Toronto and he was going on in the car about n-bombs and how awful they are and then we stop by a curb and there's this big black guy around the corner and instantly my brother shuts up.

God damn cowardice prick.
08:13 PM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Nevuk
Post-Structural Anarchist
Cincinnati OH
Male - 25 Years Old
If anyone is really bored and wants a somewhat global reaction to the use of the n word by a prominent member of a community... starcraft (the video game) recently had one. The gaming community is constantly filled with homophobic and racist remarks, but starcraft has a weird sort of tradition of "manner" which is kind of like manners in the real world. So certain actions are bad manner (flipping your opponent off) and others are good manner (shaking hands with the person who just beat you). -orb- was a person initially known for being bad mannered and whining constantly on his stream about two and a half years ago. His gameplay improved greatly and he was hired by the gaming team EG to cast games and was apparently completely professional and did an excellent job of casting. The a few days ago he was playing a game online and called someone a n****** and tried to cover it up. It's kind of fascinating to me even though I barely follow the sc2 scene anymore.

Here's the thread where his actions are detailed :
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=318860

Here's the thread where his boss justifies firing him (he claims that he would have fired anyone who had used the n word due to his background in african-american studies). : http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=319018

Adding in to the complexity of all of this is that EG's star player (Idra/Greg Fields) has called people a ****** many many times, even during tournament matches, but hasn't been fired.

The number of people defending orb in both threads is... depressing. SC2 has a truly global community and this incident is a sad indicator of the current state of racial relations as people from numerous countries defend Orb.

edit : It basically boils down to whether or not a person's actions outside of their professional life should be held against them. Orb claimed that he had friends who used his account for the most recent incident and that he hadn't raged like that in over two years (he still maintains this, but there is a lot of evidence against his claim). EG claimed they would fire anyone who had ever used the n-word in such a context at any point in their lives so that his defense of "these cases happened two years ago" was not sufficient grounds.
04:33 AM on 03/11/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Palm Coast, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
This is a tragedy of the society, enjoy is really, and buy yourself the best

Well said, frwushen. Well said.
10:48 PM on 03/13/12 
User Info.
KingsCrossing
What are you waiting for?
Queens, NY
Male
The Reproduction of Privilege

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.c...-of-privilege/

Quote:
Instead of serving as a springboard to social mobility as it did for the first decades after World War II, college education today is reinforcing class stratification, with a huge majority of the 24 percent of Americans aged 25 to 29 currently holding a bachelor’s degree coming from families with earnings above the median income.

Seventy-four percent of those now attending colleges that are classified as “most competitive,” a group that includes schools like Harvard, Emory, Stanford and Notre Dame, come from families with earnings in the top income quartile, while only three percent come from families in the bottom quartile.

Anthony Carnevale, director of the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce and co-author of “How Increasing College Access Is Increasing Inequality, and What to Do about It,” puts it succinctly: “The education system is an increasingly powerful mechanism for the intergenerational reproduction of privilege.”
12:18 AM on 03/14/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
Only 24 percent of people between 25 and 29 have college degrees? I definitely thought it was way above that.
05:47 AM on 03/14/12 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
this seems to me to be making a strong argument for radically reducing the cost of higher education.
06:59 PM on 03/14/12 
User Info.
plyb
true progress
Male - 25 Years Old
Sigh, these comments... can't believe these people live around me. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...th-making.html
08:23 PM on 03/26/12 
User Info.
Mitch
this is water
Jamaica Plain, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
Not sure that this has anything to do with race, but I went shooting with a friend (who's black) today in a small town not too far from here, and we found the remains of a building (just pillars). Looked pretty cool, and it was in an open area next to a house and an apartment complex. Absolutely no "No Trespassing" signs or anything. Well, first we noticed graffiti that said, "FUCK NIGERS [sic]," and we turned to each other and thought that maybe we weren't in the best area, but we continued to snap photos. All of a sudden, some guy opens the door to his deck and stands watching us for a minute, and then decides to start screaming at us to "GET OUT, YOU'S TRESPASSING" and then his wife joined him and started screaming, "GEEETTTT OUTTTAAAAA HEEEE.'" Almost started shooting photos of them but decided not to start trouble.

Not sure if that had anything to do with race, but I thought I'd share. Place was a hellhole--confederate flags everywhere, people staring as down from trucks, etc. Honestly never felt more uncomfortable in my life.
08:44 PM on 03/26/12 
User Info.
Mitch
this is water
Jamaica Plain, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
Oh and one time I opened the Trayvon Martin thread.
10:12 PM on 03/26/12 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 27 Years Old
Oh and one time I opened the Trayvon Martin thread.
haha you just beat me to it, I was gonna link it.
10:14 PM on 03/26/12 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 27 Years Old
Only 24 percent of people between 25 and 29 have college degrees? I definitely thought it was way above that.
the number of uneducated registered voters in the US sickens me.
10:36 PM on 03/26/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
Not sure that this has anything to do with race, but I went shooting with a friend (who's black) today in a small town not too far from here, and we found the remains of a building (just pillars). Looked pretty cool, and it was in an open area next to a house and an apartment complex. Absolutely no "No Trespassing" signs or anything. Well, first we noticed graffiti that said, "FUCK NIGERS [sic]," and we turned to each other and thought that maybe we weren't in the best area, but we continued to snap photos. All of a sudden, some guy opens the door to his deck and stands watching us for a minute, and then decides to start screaming at us to "GET OUT, YOU'S TRESPASSING" and then his wife joined him and started screaming, "GEEETTTT OUTTTAAAAA HEEEE.'" Almost started shooting photos of them but decided not to start trouble.

Not sure if that had anything to do with race, but I thought I'd share. Place was a hellhole--confederate flags everywhere, people staring as down from trucks, etc. Honestly never felt more uncomfortable in my life.

I mean...you ARE from York PA....haha
11:15 PM on 03/26/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
the number of uneducated registered voters in the US sickens me.

Elitist!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version