AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

06:55 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
there will atleast be precedent though, considering that it seems most trials that have come about recently concerning stand your ground have resulted in not-guilty verdicts.
09:37 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
What's up Hot Dog?
Connecticut
Male
Freedom!!!!!
08:01 AM on 04/23/12 
User Info.
oakhurst
Faith, Love, Hope
Male - 22 Years Old
What will be their reasoning for not finding him guilty? Like the ones that they'll discuss with the media. Or will they openly use racist and biased opinions to justify their non-conviction?

I think they'll openly use racist and biased opinions either way, as most of the things you hear are on the media are both.
08:07 AM on 04/23/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
They will probably follow the law. Usually "bad jury verdicts" are really just bad prosecutors in these high profile cases. In this case it will probably just be a bad law (the stand your ground law). I highly doubt its going to be some biased and racist jury.
09:09 AM on 04/24/12 
User Info.
GojiraShallDie
No Avatar Selected
Kanto
Male - 22 Years Old
Love As Arson, does this answer your "justifiable rage" question?

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/apr/23/man-beaten-mob-critical-condition-ar-3659891/

I have no doubt that more of this stuff will happen either.
09:22 AM on 04/24/12 
User Info.
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
The MO!
Male - 30 Years Old
Love As Arson, does this answer your "justifiable rage" question?

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/apr/2...on-ar-3659891/

I have no doubt that more of this stuff will happen either.
I'm not saying I know anything about this story, but the way this story was written was complete bullshit.

"According to police, Owens fussed at some kids playing basketball in the middle of Delmar Drive about 8:30 Saturday night. They say the kids left and a group of adults returned, armed with everything but the kitchen sink."

What does 'fuss'ing with kids mean in this case? Who writes that they came back with "everything but the kitchen sink." And how the fuck can they verify that some kid said "That's justice for Trayvon." This is just as race-baiting and terrible as anything done in the reporting for the Trayvon Martin case. And of course, white people are up in arms because of these unsubstantiated claims.
09:27 AM on 04/24/12 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 28 Years Old
I don't see why "Stand Your Ground" would maintain relevance once this goes to trial, since the whole point of the law is to make sure things don't proceed that far. At that point, given that the law wasn't applied, it should be a standard self-defense claim.
09:37 AM on 04/24/12 
User Info.
GojiraShallDie
No Avatar Selected
Kanto
Male - 22 Years Old
I'm not saying I know anything about this story, but the way this story was written was complete bullshit.

"According to police, Owens fussed at some kids playing basketball in the middle of Delmar Drive about 8:30 Saturday night. They say the kids left and a group of adults returned, armed with everything but the kitchen sink."

What does 'fuss'ing with kids mean in this case? Who writes that they came back with "everything but the kitchen sink." And how the fuck can they verify that some kid said "That's justice for Trayvon." This is just as race-baiting and terrible as anything done in the reporting for the Trayvon Martin case. And of course, white people are up in arms because of these unsubstantiated claims.

Possibly it was his sister or whoever the witness was. The way the media created it into a huge racial case will definitely have disturbing responses if Zimmerman isn't convicted.
09:39 AM on 04/24/12 
User Info.
mattmatumbo
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Salt Lake, UT
Male - 25 Years Old
See: the LA riots.
10:00 AM on 04/24/12 
User Info.
Gaugzilla
The MO!
Male - 30 Years Old
Possibly it was his sister or whoever the witness was. The way the media created it into a huge racial case will definitely have disturbing responses if Zimmerman isn't convicted.
Right, but none of what the witness or his sister (who would be an incredibly biased source) has been substantiated by police or any other source.

And it was a racial case way before the media got ahold of it. I remember tons of blogs and Tumblrs pushing it out into the forefront. The journalist that broke the story didn't even expect it to be that big of a story because things like that have happened before.

Regardless, conviction or not, Zimmerman will always be the guy that killed an unarmed kid. There's no escaping it and if he's not found guilty, he still has a shitty life of hiding from everyone to look forward to.
10:18 AM on 04/24/12 
User Info.
GojiraShallDie
No Avatar Selected
Kanto
Male - 22 Years Old
Right, but none of what the witness or his sister (who would be an incredibly biased source) has been substantiated by police or any other source.

And it was a racial case way before the media got ahold of it. I remember tons of blogs and Tumblrs pushing it out into the forefront. The journalist that broke the story didn't even expect it to be that big of a story because things like that have happened before.

Regardless, conviction or not, Zimmerman will always be the guy that killed an unarmed kid. There's no escaping it and if he's not found guilty, he still has a shitty life of hiding from everyone to look forward to.

True. Even though I highly doubt he will be convicted due to a photo showing that foul play was received on both ends (that will just help his "stand your ground" even more).
I don't think there will be any large retaliations or "la riots" due to him not being convicted but if so, I will 100% blame most of the media for making one murder of an unarmed kid into a huge race deal (I literally hear more of what color the two people were, more than which one was unarmed) which will obviously start more racial actions.
10:39 AM on 04/24/12 
User Info.
Gaugzilla
The MO!
Male - 30 Years Old
True. Even though I highly doubt he will be convicted due to a photo showing that foul play was received on both ends (that will just help his "stand your ground" even more).
I don't think there will be any large retaliations or "la riots" due to him not being convicted but if so, I will 100% blame most of the media for making one murder of an unarmed kid into a huge race deal (I literally hear more of what color the two people were, more than which one was unarmed) which will obviously start more racial actions.
100% blame the media? Granted, they helped blow it u and NBC screwed it up, but it would have been an issue regardless. I'd blame 50% media and 50% people not being able to use their own brains to form opinions.
11:20 AM on 04/24/12 
User Info.
plyb
true progress
Male - 25 Years Old
Why do people have a problem with the media portraying a race issue as a race issue?
11:29 AM on 04/24/12 
User Info.
derekjd
Mr.DRM
No Avatar Selected
Ashland, VA
Male - 20 Years Old

Excuse me? White people? I'm not trying to pick a fight, but my first thought was "Oh my god, that poor man was beaten. I really hope they catch the guy(s) who did it and that they are punished for their crimes." Not "Race war!!!!"
It's just sort of funny that people assume this is not true but assume the Martin case is. I mean, we think this is bullshit, but believe everything said in the Martin case, going as far as to doubt Zimmerman's injuries.
12:25 PM on 04/24/12 
User Info.
mattmatumbo
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Salt Lake, UT
Male - 25 Years Old
Why do people have a problem with the media portraying a race issue as a race issue?

Apparently it's a part of our culture after so many years as a racist country.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos