Password

Album Review

Cinema Sleep - Make Your Way EP Album Cover

Cinema Sleep - Make Your Way EP

Reviewed by
Cinema SleepMake Your Way EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: May 29, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
There’s something about blistering melodies and colossal vocal arrangements that really get us talking. We’ve seen it with groups such as Anberlin and Emery record after record, and it looks like Cinema Sleep seem to have picked up plenty of tips from these types of artists. As a result, debut EP Make Your Way shows off the handiwork of Kris Crummet, who has worked with Tides of Man and Emarosa, riff after riff, with each track packing its own punch.

Look no further than the opening guitar licks of “Through This House” – it’s meaty yet melodic. The crushing chorus has Emery written all over it, with vocalist Brady Reis absolutely raging against the gritty guitar riffs. Thunderous drums and dexterous guitar riffs battle throughout “Light To Shadows” while still allowing Reis to take complete control vocally, demonstrating the musicianship of the band.

“Take Me Home” veers away from the harder sound, having more of an Anberlin feel to it, as Cinema Sleep again prove their way with melody, while “In Dreams” follows with the heaviest number on the EP as Reis soars, “This is the sound of chasing dreams / It’s not as easy as it seems.” Moments like this – the quick change from soaring harmonies to caustic screams; and a smooth transition, at that – convey the uncommon capability of such a young group.

As the final riffs of “The Response” fade out, it’s clear there’s something fresh here. From Crummet’s signature production to Reis’ powerful vocals and the proficient musicianship throughout Make Your Way, Cinema Sleep have clearly started to make their way down an impressive path, with all eyes on their future and where they will go with their upcoming debut full length.

7.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
09:39 AM on 05/30/12
dookiedog
You're Effin Out!
User Info.
Really like what I hear, going to pick up this EP today
11:15 AM on 05/30/12
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
Definitely a good debut. I will continue to check these guys out.
By the way... According to Spotify "The Response" is only a bonus track, which would explain why the production is different on that track.
11:20 AM on 05/30/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Definitely a good debut. I will continue to check these guys out.
By the way... According to Spotify "The Response" is only a bonus track, which would explain why the production is different on that track.
That's what I thought. Thanks for clarity
12:09 PM on 05/30/12
B.Leibo
User Info.
For how highly you spoke of it, I don't see how a 7.5 cuts it. This EP is phenomenal, each song is different - shows their range as a band, I can't speak highly enough of it myself. I'd probably reach for an 8.5
12:25 PM on 05/30/12
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like this EP a lot, and I feel that the singer is really good, but just not in the same league as Anberlin or Emery, yet...definitely hear the potential for them (him) to get there though.
07:11 PM on 05/30/12
justbradley
User Info.
I can totally hear the Anberlin, Emery, and Emarosa comparisons. They don't sound exactly like those bands, but they're in that same niche. I absolutely love what I'm hearing, regardless. I love bands like these.
08:24 PM on 05/30/12
scooterf
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Doesn't seem to be a particularly unique sound, but they do it well so I don't mind. For a debut EP, this is excellent. They getting any label attention?
10:52 PM on 05/30/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
For how highly you spoke of it, I don't see how a 7.5 cuts it. This EP is phenomenal, each song is different - shows their range as a band, I can't speak highly enough of it myself. I'd probably reach for an 8.5
This, maybe even a 9 for me. This was such a surprise and further proof that what ever Kris Crummet produces turns to gold. I his Wiki page wasn't taken down by some dumbshit for now I will never be able to reference a full list of his produced works again to check out.
10:18 AM on 06/02/12
OceanTheGuitar
User Info.
I really like it, can't wait to hear more...
01:21 PM on 06/12/12
H.e.n.r.I.
User Info.
RIYL Emarosa and Emery? Will be checking this out ASAP!
01:27 PM on 06/12/12
H.e.n.r.I.
User Info.
First track was amazing...I am going to love this

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News