@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Not a huge fan of this cover...or her voice
11:22 AM on 10/02/12
plns
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is stupid. Why do people think it is okay to cover songs that just came out?

The unspoken rule is the song needs to be at least 10 years old or the band needs to be broken up for at least 5 years. I know some will think this is ridiculous, but it makes sense. Let the band that wrote the song perform it.
I'm gonna guess you haven't been on youtube in the past few years...
11:55 AM on 10/02/12
NickIsI
I'm Only Here to Disappoint
User Info.
I'm gonna guess you haven't been on youtube in the past few years...

I have, but don't search for covers. It is quite obvious not everyone shares my opinion. If I want to hear a song that is relatively new, I will just listen to the original version. To me, the point of a cover song should be for a relatively unknown band to get a live audience involved by playing a classic song that the audience would enjoy that also represents the style of the band performing the cover.

For example, a punk band covering a song by The Misfits.
12:12 PM on 10/02/12
xrider105
This is closure once and for all!
User Info.
I have, but don't search for covers. It is quite obvious not everyone shares my opinion. If I want to hear a song that is relatively new, I will just listen to the original version. To me, the point of a cover song should be for a relatively unknown band to get a live audience involved by playing a classic song that the audience would enjoy that also represents the style of the band performing the cover.

What about when bands re-imagine a song to their own sounds? Like any Punk Goes... Compilation.
12:43 PM on 10/02/12
NickIsI
I'm Only Here to Disappoint
User Info.
What about when bands re-imagine a song to their own sounds? Like any Punk Goes... Compilation.

Covering a song as a tribute to the artist and covering a song just to make money are two completely different things. I'm referring to the Punk Goes series specifically.
01:09 PM on 10/02/12
evvandflow
full of shit and free beer
User Info.

You don't understand the point of cover songs. Stop going to Bennigans on Wednesday nights and hearing a high school alt-rock band cover some Radiohead song.
01:32 PM on 10/02/12
justbradley
User Info.
I kinda like this cover. I mean, I think this song just doesn't fit the female singer's vocals. Brian has a distinct way of singing, so it sounds rather strange to hear this girl singing, even if she's not bad. It just doesn't seem like a song that should be slowed down at all. At least they covered Gaslight, though. That's always good to hear.
01:36 PM on 10/02/12
xrider105
User Info.
You don't understand the point of cover songs. Stop going to Bennigans on Wednesday nights and hearing a high school alt-rock band cover some Radiohead song.

You still have Bennigans?? I thought they all closed.
01:37 PM on 10/02/12
evvandflow
User Info.
You still have Bennigans?? I thought they all closed.
It was a joke
01:39 PM on 10/02/12
xrider105
User Info.
Covering a song as a tribute to the artist and covering a song just to make money are two completely different things. I'm referring to the Punk Goes series specifically.

What about YouTube artists like Pomplamoose or Karmin? Them covering current radio hits and re-imagining them to their sound actually got them somewhat known, and signed.
01:39 PM on 10/02/12
xrider105
User Info.

Oh man. You got me excited.
03:42 PM on 10/02/12
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
What about YouTube artists like Pomplamoose or Karmin? Them covering current radio hits and re-imagining them to their sound actually got them somewhat known, and signed.
you say that like it's a good thing.
04:20 PM on 10/02/12
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
not a fan of this rendition. kinda simple and her voice makes it sound all scene-y
06:44 PM on 10/02/12
evvandflow
User Info.
yea but she's hot
07:47 PM on 10/02/12
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
Not really.

Not a bad cover though, it was okay.
Options