Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 33
08:23 PM on 10/04/12
NJUNDERDOG
I HAVE RECORDS FOR SALE, PM ME
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
a sure fire way to avoid delays is to not do pre-orders. just wait till the records are in hand before selling them. if a label does not have the money to release a record and they need the money from pre-orders to get the release going they should not release it, plain and simple. the biggest culprits with delays are all these new jack "labels" starting up that solely license out albums to press because it's one they loved in high school and they think it's cool to run label.
08:27 PM on 10/04/12
treyj1234
This is the last night in my body.
User Info.
Finally just got my refund from PayPal for the TOYPAJ preorder.
08:30 PM on 10/04/12
anamericangod
User Info.
a sure fire way to avoid delays is to not do pre-orders. just wait till the records are in hand before selling them. if a label does not have the money to release a record and they need the money from pre-orders to get the release going they should not release it, plain and simple. the biggest culprits with delays are all these new jack "labels" starting up that solely license out albums to press because it's one they loved in high school and they think it's cool to run label.
So you're saying that they shouldn't take any risk and just not bother trying to put out an album that hundreds of people might want because it could possibly take longer than expected?
08:34 PM on 10/04/12
Eurotrash Drock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So you're saying that they shouldn't take any risk and just not bother trying to put out an album that hundreds of people might want because it could possibly take longer than expected?
while i dont necessarily agree with the other commenters statement, it would be prudent to wait until a substantially shorter amount of time when you have a more concrete date from wherever you happen to be getting the vinyl pressed to start doing preorders.
08:45 PM on 10/04/12
anamericangod
User Info.
while i dont necessarily agree with the other commenters statement, it would be prudent to wait until a substantially shorter amount of time when you have a more concrete date from wherever you happen to be getting the vinyl pressed to start doing preorders.
I don't disagree with that. The other statement, however, is a bit idealistic.
10:53 PM on 10/04/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
it's part of marketing a record. you want to put up the preorder when the most people are interested in buying the album. if a smaller band gets a song stream on AP.net, for example, they'll put up their preorder that day. you want to capitalize on impulse buys for the people who get interested.
10:53 PM on 10/04/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Sure wish I could finally get my Anthony Raneri vinyl. I know I know "it's in the mail"
thomas at paperandplastick.com give me your order number and i'll respond with a tracking number.

because an AP.net thread is the right place to handle customer service.
10:57 PM on 10/04/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
not all of it can be blamed on the companies pressing the vinyl. sometimes its poor management/planning, like P+P.
would love to hear more about this. when a pressing plant takes 8-12 weeks to press a record (that is how long the delays have been this year, like Jenna said in her quote in the article), it's pretty hard to get the record in time for your street date. we could always just say "ship date TBA" in the product description, right? that way we're off the hook and no one will ever complain? wrong, people will always complain. a lot of times these things are out of the label's control. currently our flatfoot 56 records are sitting in the headquarters of a freight truck company and they left the plant over 3 weeks ago. they should have absolutely been here 2 weeks ago. they were finished being pressed 4 weeks after the target date. label owners can't control that.
11:58 PM on 10/04/12
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Good job Erik. You da man
02:30 AM on 10/05/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Way to get all set your goals on us :)

If you can't handle a snarky comment or two about labels that take just about forever to get a record out you might not wanna check AP.net's really good article thread about the subject

And btw the it's the mail comment was aimed at p+p saying that you were waiting on the record to ship from the plant and it was being shipped then it wasn't then it was. I was Not asking for bad customer service.
i don't even understand what you're saying. the record release you're referring to is in erik's article. the plant sent us 100 less anthony raneri records than we were supposed to get so we get a replacement variant sent along with our repress and those went out immediately. the record release went off fine and on time except for the ~60 orders that we couldn't fulfill due to that mistake.
07:24 AM on 10/05/12
ViTOP
http://twitter.com/VitoPagano
User Info.
Although not in the same field, as a Director of Operations for a manufacturing firm it appears to me the entire system is flawed.

Nobody is making new pressing equipment.
Parts and equipment nearly impossible to find.
Plants are at full capacity.
Vinyl increasingly getting harder to press.

The pressing plants may not be willing to gamble on this current love for vinyl with huge capitol investment, although I feel the CD is dead for some time now and vinyl is here to stay.You take your music mobile with a DL and get something cool to collect. No brainer.

so kiddies ... take that engineering degree and produce a new more highly efficient vinyl press.
Nothing moves forward without it.

Ramblings of the old dude who really doesn't know much about vinyl pressing but would LOVE to learn ;)

oh shit !! Erik AWESOME JOB !!
12:12 PM on 10/05/12
schenksta
Derp.
User Info.
Finally just got my refund from PayPal for the TOYPAJ preorder.

From MTS?
03:35 PM on 10/05/12
Eurotrash Drock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
would love to hear more about this. when a pressing plant takes 8-12 weeks to press a record (that is how long the delays have been this year, like Jenna said in her quote in the article), it's pretty hard to get the record in time for your street date. we could always just say "ship date TBA" in the product description, right? that way we're off the hook and no one will ever complain? wrong, people will always complain. a lot of times these things are out of the label's control. currently our flatfoot 56 records are sitting in the headquarters of a freight truck company and they left the plant over 3 weeks ago. they should have absolutely been here 2 weeks ago. they were finished being pressed 4 weeks after the target date. label owners can't control that.
i know. and im not specifically talking about that. and i dont want you to think im a dick or feel like im trashing your place of employment because i love a lot of bands and releases on P+P. it is legitimately one of the best labels of the last few years. but im very good friends with a few bands on the label and friends with some others who have had one off releases. without throwing anyone under the bus, i would just like to state that in my opinion, vinnie is just stretched too thin. with more than two dozen active bands on a thriving label, managing ltj, and becoming a new father, from what ive seen and heard, some things just dont get the attention they deserve (because of more important priorities). one album came out a year ago and never materialized on wax (with no plans to currently). some others have had to wait for months, others weeks. again, not trashing you, P+P, or vinnie, just stating my observations.
05:46 PM on 10/05/12
treyj1234
This is the last night in my body.
User Info.
Nope, I put in a claim with PayPal a while back and followed up.
11:50 PM on 10/05/12
The_Effort
User Info.
i don't even understand what you're saying. the record release you're referring to is in erik's article. the plant sent us 100 less anthony raneri records than we were supposed to get so we get a replacement variant sent along with our repress and those went out immediately. the record release went off fine and on time except for the ~60 orders that we couldn't fulfill due to that mistake.

Are there still copies of that record left? I sure would like to pick me up one!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos