Username
Password
Anberlin News - Page 8
Displaying posts 105 - 120 of 235.
12:23 PM on 10/11/12
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
I'm curious as to what in those three albums you mentioned you find more appealing than Vital. I figured the nostalgia factor would play in a lot, but to me, this is their best musically, by far.

I just think their older songs have better structures and hooks to them. Songs like the resistance, dismantle repair, paperthin hymn etc are heavy but heavy in the right moments. Some of these new songs sound like a mess to me, heavy guitar which isn't really that rythmic, loud synth from the 80's that sounds like a video game ... its so cluttered. I feel like you need to let a song breathe on its own, and the new songs don't possess that. They seemed so forced
12:23 PM on 10/11/12
contra11mundum
I am not magnificent.
User Info.
Love the electronic influence.
12:24 PM on 10/11/12
RyanPm40
Ryan
User Info.
I just think their older songs have better structures and hooks to them. Songs like the resistance, dismantle repair, paperthin hymn etc are heavy but heavy in the right moments. Some of these new songs sound like a mess to me, heavy guitar which isn't really that rythmic, loud synth from the 80's that sounds like a video game ... its so cluttered. I feel like you need to let a song breathe on its own, and the new songs don't possess that. They seemed so forced
I agree, a lot of it sounds cluttered and busy. I almost want to listen through my tinny laptop speakers just so I'll hear a bit less of the busy work in the background, if that makes any sense XD
12:25 PM on 10/11/12
robdobi
hates your guts.
User Info.
never been a huge fan, although i found never take friendships personal to be super catchy. this new album starts off strong but i faded quick, energy didn't last throughout.
12:27 PM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Its really not heavy. A couple heavier tracks, but that's it. With that being said, I encourage EVERYONE who sits here and says cities is better or "heavier" to go back and listen to cities. That album is the same, a few heavy cuts, a lot of slower and pop cuts as well...... This album is very, very good so far.

*ok now i am listening to Modern Age. Holy shit.

Very true - both albums split time between being high energy, soft, and heavy. If one band understands creating dynamics across an album, it's Anberlin. And Haha, Modern Age is a monster.

personally I think Cities is better lyrically and it's much more diverse muscially which is a huge positive for me. Plus, (*Fin) >>

But seriously, this has a better chance of eventually toppling Cities for me than I thought it did. It's fucking great.

Agreed on both points. Cities is definitely more diverse, while Vital is much more concise - I think both strategies worked nicely for their respective records.

the only songs i liked were self-starter, someone anyone, and God, Drugs, & Sex after listening for the first time. i think cities and new surrender are far superior. didn't really like the 80's vibe on some of the songs

Interesting choice of favorites - "Desires" and "Modern Age" did nothing for you? Or "Intentions" (80's-esque, but very NTFP).
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
never been a huge fan, although i found never take friendships personal to be super catchy. this new album starts off strong but i faded quick, energy didn't last throughout.
Did you by chance drop off after "Innocent?" I find the first half to be high energy, followed by a cool down section, ending on massiveness.
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
I've never understood the people who rave about The Resistance, that is such a bland, mediocre track to me. Self Starter shits all over it.
12:28 PM on 10/11/12
fsmith84
Lock and load
User Info.
Am I the only one who thinks Modern Age would have been a better closer?

Don't get me wrong, I love the entire album, but that song just GETS me. Maybe just because it's their typical massive stadium song. But the shoegaze elements in GDS are also superb.

You know what, fuck it, I'm wrong.
12:30 PM on 10/11/12
jdplasma11
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Agreed - one of the few tracks on NS that I really didn't like. The lyrics aren't bad or anything, it's just kinda hard to get into. No real rhythm for me.
12:31 PM on 10/11/12
henry chinaski
User Info.
I love 'Intentions' So damn catchy
12:32 PM on 10/11/12
i_was_a_lid
And This is How
User Info.
After 3 listens I'm really digging Other Side, Desire, Little Tyrants and Modern Age (I already loved Self Starter and Someone Anyone)
12:33 PM on 10/11/12
COLEMAN902
acommonyear.com
User Info.
HOLY SHIT.
12:33 PM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Meh, looks like we just disagree. I think the hooks here are just as strong as Cities, though in a different way. Don't feel like there's a "mess" here at all - I think it's more of an accomplishment that they made such thick music work. I like this direction for the band.
12:34 PM on 10/11/12
jtalep
Save Me From Myself
User Info.
I seriously expected heavier ? I don't really dig the slower tunes ... I have to listen again and after not getting up from nightshift to really base a good opinion on this ..
What? Heavier? You know they're not a metal band right? This is definitely their most aggressive record to date, Anberlin are Anberlin because they're able to balance the heavy stuff, with the lighter slower stuff, if it was 11 heavy tracks it would just be tiresome. They've nailed the balance, and created something that has the staying power of Cities, and hats off to them.
12:35 PM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've never understood the people who rave about The Resistance, that is such a bland, mediocre track to me. Self Starter shits all over it.

I actually really like The Resistance as a song, but the mix/production on the album is TERRIBLE - such a hollow track. Maybe not as strong as some of their other heavy tracks, but it's a damn good song and sounds great live.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums