Password

05:49 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
Louisville, KY
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
What benchmarks are you judging by? The songs on For Emma don't strike me as any more or less difficult to pull of in a cover setting than those of just about any other modern folk artist. The same does not hold true for the songs on the follow up, which, aside from "Holocene," would be pretty hard for anyone else to pull off.

Okay sorry, I should have clarified I guess. Yeah sure a lot of people could rip off a cover of "Flume" and it could sound pretty good but I don't envision myself particularly enjoying it. Personal bias, but removed from the context and atmosphere of For Emma the song is going to feel like it's missing something to me. And I dunno, it's gonna have to be a damn good "Holocene" cover for me to love it...that's my favorite song put out in the last several years.
08:20 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
I mean, you would have to have a pretty decent knowledge on tunings/blues-folk style to pull a lot of them off. There's some interesting open tunings and chord voicings on that album that make it different from just your standard strumming of a guitar.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, bur I didn't think that was what he was talking about. That's a technical hurdle, to be sure, and something that makes the songs difficult (the same can be said for songs with wide vocal ranges, extreme high notes, expert guitar/piano/drum solos, etc.), but when I think of a song as "uncoverable," it's because there is something inherent in the original version that cannot be adequately be captured by anyone else.

Okay sorry, I should have clarified I guess. Yeah sure a lot of people could rip off a cover of "Flume" and it could sound pretty good but I don't envision myself particularly enjoying it. Personal bias, but removed from the context and atmosphere of For Emma the song is going to feel like it's missing something to me. And I dunno, it's gonna have to be a damn good "Holocene" cover for me to love it...that's my favorite song put out in the last several years.

Ahhh, gotcha. I mean, I've heard some magical covers of the songs off For Emma, so maybe that's why I don't necessarily think they are untouchable. And I love love love "Holocene" too, and it's definitely not a song that everyone can pull off (Brian Fallon, for example, has far too heavy a voice to really do anything by Bon Iver), but I can still imagine a reinvention of that one more than something like "Beth/Rest."
08:52 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
EndlessPrisoner
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male
That and the thing's off-rhythm at times and the backing vocals sound like shittttt

Yup. Taking out the backing vocals and have it be a Fallon song where he tries to minimize the accent, and it'd probably sound better. Boring, but better. Not great, but better. At least not terrible.
09:04 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
Louisville, KY
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
That's an interesting way of looking at it, bur I didn't think that was what he was talking about. That's a technical hurdle, to be sure, and something that makes the songs difficult (the same can be said for songs with wide vocal ranges, extreme high notes, expert guitar/piano/drum solos, etc.), but when I think of a song as "uncoverable," it's because there is something inherent in the original version that cannot be adequately be captured by anyone else.

Ahhh, gotcha. I mean, I've heard some magical covers of the songs off For Emma, so maybe that's why I don't necessarily think they are untouchable. And I love love love "Holocene" too, and it's definitely not a song that everyone can pull off (Brian Fallon, for example, has far too heavy a voice to really do anything by Bon Iver), but I can still imagine a reinvention of that one more than something like "Beth/Rest."

Yeah "Beth / Rest" would be a bitch for sure. I think "Perth" would be the most difficult though--no way in hell could anyone pull off a cover of that song.
09:05 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
Louisville, KY
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
And this is coming from someone who likes a lot of Gaslight's covers--that version of "House of the Rising Sun" might be my favorite version of that song that's been recorded, no joke.
09:12 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
CubbyNick42
@NickDevlin
Atlanta, GA
Male - 29 Years Old
And this is coming from someone who likes a lot of Gaslight's covers--that version of "House of the Rising Sun" might be my favorite version of that song that's been recorded, no joke.
Yep, incredible.
10:53 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
S/T
There's a lot of buzz around Lenny
Definitely not into For Emma, but Misery is so, so good.
12:38 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Yeah "Beth / Rest" would be a bitch for sure. I think "Perth" would be the most difficult though--no way in hell could anyone pull off a cover of that song.

Good lord, no one else could do "Perth." Hahaha, I can't even imagine what that would sound like.

I kind of just wish they would do a EP worth of Tom Petty covers, haha. I'm just surprised they haven't done more Springsteen covers.
05:05 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
barkjon
//
Seattle, WA
Male - 17 Years Old
Alright, so I got into the Gaslight Anthem. I grabbed all four LP's.

Now I'm hooked.
08:13 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
Indiana
Male - 25 Years Old
I kind of just wish they would do a EP worth of Tom Petty covers, haha. I'm just surprised they haven't done more Springsteen covers.
I get the feeling they're sick to death of the constant Springsteen comparisons so to keep covering him would just reinforce the "Springsteen imitators" comments. Maybe? I dunno. I'd love to see more covers of stuff like "House of the Rising Sun" (love love love their version). Older 50s/60s songs in the blues/soul vein.

Anyway I like this EP a lot and I guess the fact that I do correlates to the fact that I could give a shit about Bon Iver. Shrug.
10:04 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
I get the feeling they're sick to death of the constant Springsteen comparisons so to keep covering him would just reinforce the "Springsteen imitators" comments. Maybe? I dunno. I'd love to see more covers of stuff like "House of the Rising Sun" (love love love their version). Older 50s/60s songs in the blues/soul vein.

Anyway I like this EP a lot and I guess the fact that I do correlates to the fact that I could give a shit about Bon Iver. Shrug.

I'm sure you're right, but I guess I just don't really understand why the Bruce comparison is something they're trying to run from now. They spent an entire album quoting him and they could kill a good number of his songs on these cover EPs they do. Would much rather see that than them trying to do Bon Iver songs.
10:54 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
New, Mexico
Male - 26 Years Old
Ditto. I'm guessing it may have something to do with how little I care about Bon Iver, though...Liking the cover, though!

little-care-about-bon-iver high five!
10:56 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
New, Mexico
Male - 26 Years Old
they should put out another EP that sounds SOS/Senor/"Howl"-esque. i wouldn't mind just a little more of that.

EDIT: and include a cover of "trusty chords" or "condition oakland" or something.
11:24 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
Brookline, MA
Male - 30 Years Old
I'm sure you're right, but I guess I just don't really understand why the Bruce comparison is something they're trying to run from now. They spent an entire album quoting him and they could kill a good number of his songs on these cover EPs they do. Would much rather see that than them trying to do Bon Iver songs.

Have you interacted with any hardcore Springsteen fans who also like Gaslight Anthem? It's bizarre in some cases. "I don't understand Handwritten. I mean, there's no Springsteen in it! Why would they alienate their core fan base like that?!" That's definitely a generalization, and a bit of an exaggeration but I've heard something along those lines from a few people.

I actually read somebody on a message board who basically dissected the lyrics to "Howl" in such a manner that nearly every line was a reference to a Bruce Springsteen lyric. I'm not a Springsteen guy, so I don't know how directly it all compares but I shrugged at the comparisons and said, "So uh, they both mention sitting on the hood of a car. That seems like a common experience more than a reference to another lyric." I can see why they'd want to avoid those comparisons if that's how exaggerated they've become.

That being said, I don't know that they're "running from" the comparisons so much as just...Moving on? Stretching their wings? Shrug.

they should put out another EP that sounds SOS/Senor/"Howl"-esque. i wouldn't mind just a little more of that.

EDIT: and include a cover of "trusty chords" or "condition oakland" or something.

Yes please! Mostly for the "Trusty Cords" and "Condition Oakland" covers. I'd definitely like to hear them take on some Sam Cooke and/or Johnny Rivers, too...
11:47 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
mike'smannequin
Registered Member
New Jersey
Male - 20 Years Old
Alright, so I got into the Gaslight Anthem. I grabbed all four LP's.

Now I'm hooked.

welcome

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests