Username
Password

10:03 PM on 11/16/12 
User Info.
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
I see that Toledo was on your list. I don't know shit about that school or the city, but as someone who has suffered from Ohio his whole life, don't go to Toledo.

Here here, would be a glorious waste of a study abroad. With the exception of two semesters abroad, I lived in the Toledo area my whole life. Went to college at BGSU, which would be a good taste of "typical" American college town but not worth it. There's no real attraction for Ohio besides Cedar Point and Hocking Hills.
10:15 PM on 11/16/12 
User Info.
jeffersin
I love you!
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 22 Years Old
Here here, would be a glorious waste of a study abroad. With the exception of two semesters abroad, I lived in the Toledo area my whole life. Went to college at BGSU, which would be a good taste of "typical" American college town but not worth it. There's no real attraction for Ohio besides Cedar Point and Hocking Hills.

Haha I know. I mean I go to UC and it's not bad, but I know a guy from China who studies abroad there, and I felt the need to apologize to him for getting stuck here. I'd say OSU would probably be the only school worth it if you're really trying to get an experience. It's a pretty cool place. But yeah, there's not much.
10:19 PM on 11/16/12 
User Info.
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
Could you give me a summary of the differences? Thanks

EDIT: Yeah I'm doing a year abroad, not moving to America, as much as I'd love to.

I studied in Spain (Escuela Universitaria Cardenal Cisneros - Alcala de Henares) and France (Audencia: École de Management) and observed that these schools and many others I had found seemed to be maybe one or two buildings that catered towards a more specific field. In North America, it's much more typical for a University to cater towards a variety of majors. Thus, student populations are much more immense. At my home school, Bowling Green State University, there are ~17,000 students right now which isn't even a huge amount but shows how a small town in the middle of nowhere can attract alot of students. The actual size of the universities in the US is often akin to a small city. I think BGSU had ~15-20 buildings including a two storied (and basement) rec centre, huge hockey building, basketball stadium, football field, baseball field, etc....)

Some differences in the students; Americans are often much more non chalant and less concerned with appearances and grades. I don't mean this as a slam for it's often truth. It's widely accepted for students to come wearing pajamas like they rolled out of bed or in gym clothes. Quite a long shot from in France where mes camarades de class français would often where business casual to dressy. Many of the teachers I've had in the US were very laid back and willing to adjust the curriculum if students complained while in Europe, students accepted the schedule as it was and didn't complain.

Personally I'm glad to have experienced both. I prefer the culture and professionalism of the European universities as well as the smaller student body but I liked the size, resources, and friendliness/helpfulness of staff in American colleges.
10:40 PM on 11/16/12 
User Info.
Almost421
How did I get here?
New Jersey
Male - 22 Years Old
Harvard
07:49 AM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
kruz1023
duh
Austin, TX
Male - 27 Years Old
I would check College of Charleston (CofC) out if I were you. The college and city (Charleston, SC not Charleston, WV) are both great. Every exchange student I met, which was a fair amount, still raves about their study abroad experience at CofC.
08:50 AM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 23 Years Old
Have you ever been to Disneyland? Google maps days Long Beach is less than 30 min from it. Lol
09:49 AM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
XjoseoleXX
Male - 25 Years Old
go to stony brook its a great school close to NYC and tons of stuff to do also they have a ton of culture meaning different types of ppl. black white asian hispanic. trust me i went to school in the south and it was just white ppl and boring rednecks i transferred to stony and loved it,.
09:51 AM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
XjoseoleXX
Male - 25 Years Old
also if you go abroad just for the weather and bands you are fucking retarded.
10:01 AM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
Regards
I am Groot
Wisconsin
Male - 26 Years Old
What are you going into? Stout and Whitewater are both quality schools.
12:17 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
JoeLovesMO
JoeLovesMansions
Manhattan, KS
Male - 23 Years Old
also if you go abroad just for the weather and bands you are fucking retarded.

I'm going abroad because I want to go abroad. Sorry if this offends you.

What are you going into? Stout and Whitewater are both quality schools.

If you're asking what I study, I'm currently in 2nd year of Geography BSC
05:13 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
Cameronisonfire
I want my toast with butter and jam
Austin, TX
Male - 28 Years Old
There are a few universities in and around Austin (if you like music it is the place to be) which is not like your preconceived notion of Texas/the south. I dont know what your abroad program is like and if you can just pick any school or a specific one but I went to/graduated from Texas State. I had the time of my life and then some. Great people/classes, tons of activities to partate in, beautiful campus/girls. Please dont go to Oklahoma.
05:20 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
shit stroll
Atlanta
Male - 25 Years Old
Atlantaaaaaa. Emory University. Fantastic school. We get wonderful tours most of the time, if that's a deciding point for you. MO lives here. Atlanta =/= Georgia, so you don't have much to worry about with rednecks.
This! I just moved right down the street from Emory and it's such a nice area.
07:02 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
Jimmy_Love
Philadelphia/Lancast...
Male - 24 Years Old
Philadelphia.
04:33 AM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
If you want bands, I probably wouldn't recommend really too much of the South. Maybe Atlanta.

I'd say NY or Southern California. I love Long Beach, so much to do, and a thirty minute drive to everything else!
07:39 AM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
Austin, TX
Male - 28 Years Old

because Lancaster is so exciting.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music