Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 15
Displaying posts 210 - 225 of 248.
12:50 PM on 11/21/12
ChaseTx
You know I like my chicken fried.
User Info.
Ahhh, I see what you mean now. I suppose that could be the case, but I prefer to think that the critics just saw a stronger start-to-finish record in MBDTF. In the Slant Magazine review for The College Dropout (which they gave 3.5 stars), the writer kicked off the review by saying, "Like every hip-hop album (even the great ones), Kanye West's The College Dropout is marred by too many guest artists, too many interludes, and just too many songs period. (I challenge every hip-hop artist working today to record just one album with 12 tracks or less—no skits, no guests, no filler.)" They gave Late Registration the same rating, but crowned MBDTF as the best album of 2010 and gave it a perfect 5-star rating. Pitchfork had similar reservations about Dropout, but gave Twisted Fantasy the rare 10.0 and also named it the album of the year. I agree that their misgivings were assuaged, but that's because Kanye largely dropped the gimmicks: he got rid of the skits (well, nearly), he trimmed down the number of tracks and kept many of the guest spots shared between a core group of confidantes. And as a whole, the record felt a lot less scattershot or overlong, even though it still stretched to almost 70 minutes. For me, that record flies by in what feels like half the time that it takes me to listen to the other two.

I think your second paragraph is a tough question to ask, since you obviously have a big, important personal connection to TCD. I don't think there's a weak track on MBDTF (which ones don't you like, btw?), but there are a few that I skip on both College Dropout and Late Registration. It could just be a matter of perspective, of our differing musical roots and differences in what we look for in a hip hop album, but I have, over the past two years, gotten the feeling that the appreciation for MBDTF remains very heartfelt and widespread.
In most cases, I agree that albums with over 16 tracks, several skits, and a lot of guest spots do suffer from the problems they're referring to. But, I think those first two Kanye albums are an exception. The skits are funny and revolve around a recurring theme or pattern. The guest spots are all good verses from good rappers, but Kanye is never overshadowed on the track. Because there are so many songs, it doesn't feel like he's crowded out by guests; and because of his control over the albums, they remain very much his, as opposed to feeling like an ensemble work (which are typically bad). And as to the length, every song on those two is solid, in my opinion.

Just going through MBDTF, I'm not a big fan of "So Appalled". I don't care much for the beat/feel of the song at all, and the last half of the track should have just been cut. The song would have been better with just Kanye and Jay-Z, and I could keep the Pusha verse as well, but after that, I'm done with the song. The rest of the tracks are good, I just feel the first two albums have more tracks that I get excited to hear. I'd say the length plays a big part in that.
12:50 PM on 11/21/12
Kixur413
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Cartel's Chroma has been played in it's entirety at least once a week since day one of release. I don't see that changing any time soon. So fantastic.
01:03 PM on 11/21/12
ChaseTx
You know I like my chicken fried.
User Info.
I think the biggest issue you're not really getting is that by striving to release a "classic" album, some artists may compromise their sound to fit into the mold of previous classic albums. Not every hip-hop album needs to sound like Illmatic to be a classic, not every rock album has to sound like Sgt. Pepper's or whatever, not everyone should be trying to sound like Bon Iver just because he released a great record.

There may be some related aspects that take an album into the "classic" level that are common across many, but one I think is definitely necessary is crafting a unique style that is cohesive across an entire album. The issue comes from certain artists striving to repeat the style from a perceived greatness from one album, when they have higher potential going in a different stylistic direction. In this way, by copying the format and tone of a great "classic" album in order to release their own classic, they compromise their style to fit into a mold they don't necessarily match, while also releasing an album that is not as strong as it could have been if they just played towards their strong suits and released what they wanted to without having the pressure of needing a "classic" in their catalog.

Essentially, artists would be better off listening less to what albums fans name as instant classics, and more focusing on what they can do to make the best album in the sound they're going for.
Great post, I agree entirely. I do think artists can make a great album by replicating or expanding upon the style of the preceding album -- see Linkin Park's Meteora, Common's Finding Forever, even Late Registration -- and it can be another classic, if it continues to be influential and widely well-received.

When an artist tries to make a great album by copying stylistic decisions on another artist's album, it diminishes the greatness of their album and it's viability as a possible classic, because the sound is not unique to that artist. It does, however, reinforce the classic status of the album they're striving to recreate.
01:15 PM on 11/21/12
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
Don't listen to it if you don't want, but I bet you people will still be calling it a classic in 10 years... just my opinion

You people? Maybe people will, but less than a month after its out is a weird time to judge that

I guess I should have used better punctuation. What I was trying to say is "I bet you, that people will be calling it a classic in 10 years" not "you people"

I understand why you think that calling something a classic when it's less than a month old is weird, but sometimes you have a gut reaction when you first hear something... I could be wrong, maybe it's not a classic... in fact I like Section 80 much more than GKMC, but I think they are both great albums, and I think GKMC will go down in hip hop history as a classic. Maybe it's too soon to call it that, but I'm just saying what I think based upon my first impression of the album... Do I think Kendrick is the GOAT? No, but I think he made one hell of a album(s)
01:16 PM on 11/21/12
The_Effort
User Info.
When an artist tries to make a great album by copying stylistic decisions on another artist's album, it diminishes the greatness of their album and it's viability as a possible classic, because the sound is not unique to that artist. It does, however, reinforce the classic status of the album they're striving to recreate.

I agree with this whole heartedly.
01:27 PM on 11/21/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
A "classic" is what turns the genre completely on its head. Hip hop: Nas' Illmatic was (and is still) a classic. FIVE MICS.

No but seriously, it really changes what a genre means consciousness wise, production approaches, lyrical ideas, etc etc that everyone gravitates to experimenting with in a similar way or beyond it.
01:30 PM on 11/21/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Also, hats off to Adam for opening such a big discussion.
01:33 PM on 11/21/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Like how brand new tried to make a 90s alt rock record and failed completely

But they didn't ...
01:34 PM on 11/21/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yeah, but what he's trying to say (and what the article basically said) is that a lot of artists strive for other people's greatness rather than their own and the result is a decrease in innovation.

But that is a straw man of my argument.
01:40 PM on 11/21/12
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
An album is a classic when it connected with a cultural or social issue of a specific time, but was good enough to ascend to higher proportions and continue being enjoyable once said cultural or social issue passed with time.
01:49 PM on 11/21/12
Star Slight
User Info.
are you going to address my serious posts or just that one
02:12 PM on 11/21/12
3GunGaz
Claret and Blue
User Info.
I would say what makes an album a 'classic' is something that cannot be written down or explained. As such, there is no point trying!
02:18 PM on 11/21/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Great post, I agree entirely. I do think artists can make a great album by replicating or expanding upon the style of the preceding album -- see Linkin Park's Meteora, Common's Finding Forever, even Late Registration -- and it can be another classic, if it continues to be influential and widely well-received.

That's true, a "classic" album does rest highly on influencing the entire genre, so the more people try to sound like it the more classic it becomes. But really every "classic" is going to have its own identity and a completely unique sound.

I would say what makes an album a 'classic' is something that cannot be written down or explained. As such, there is no point trying!
This too, and I'd argue its a different answers for every artist out there. There's no single way to make a great memorable album.
02:18 PM on 11/21/12
ship of fools
hello
User Info.
Being good. Time. Other people agreeing with you.
02:44 PM on 11/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Omg. Just gonna listen to built to spill all day :)

Haha exactly. doesn't get much better than Conventional Wisdom when it comes to indie rock.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests