AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Woe, Is Me - Genesi[s] Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 1
Musicianship 1
Lyrics 0.5
Production 0.5
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 5%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.13
Musicianship 3.08
Lyrics 2.54
Production 5.04
Creativity 2.21
Lasting Value 2.21
Reviewer Tilt 3.54
Average: 33%

Woe, Is Me - Genesi[s]

Reviewed by: justbradley (11/20/12)
Woe, Is MeGenesi[s]
Record Label: Rise/Velocity Records
Release Date: November 20th, 2012

If you listen to post-hardcore / metalcore, there’s a 95% chance you know who Atlanta, GA band Woe, Is Me is; they’re popular among most 14-year-old scene kids, basically. That’s a rather cruel statement, but it’s also the truth. That’s the only demographic that seems to take this band seriously anymore, and in a way, it’s understandable. Most of those kids parade through Hot Topic, thinking they’re the most unique kids to exist, and think anything with screaming is “hardcore,” but only listen to the same 10 or so bands, with Woe, Is Me being one of them. Back in 2009 and early 2010, this was a well-hyped band. They had a few demos on their MySpace page (back when MySpace was relevant), and they also had a cover of the Ke$ha hit “Tik Tok.” The cover was generic, but the demos showed potential. They mainly showed potential through frontman Tyler Carter, who had a voice only rivaled by that of former Emarosa and Dance Gavin Dance frontman Jonny Craig. He was the rising star of the band, and with good reason. When debut album Number[s] dropped in 2010, it was a very interesting record; while it was generic, it also showed a lot of potential. The guitarwork by former guitarist Tim Sherrill was really cool, and it was unique. The programming by former keyboardist Ben Harris was also really cool. They were rather generic, but overall, this was a band to watch out for, especially in the post-hardcore scene. Some would say that the band’s demise began in 2011 when Tyler Carter left the band, but I think the demise came much before that with single “Fame Over Demise, ironically. That’s the last song to feature Carter, but before that, the band contributed a cover of Katy Perry’s “Hot and Cold.” This also contributed to their demise, because most bands only have a couple of “ironic” covers under their belt. Well, Woe, Is Me has three, and it seems they’re known for making covers now. After Carter left, the band enlisted former Oh Manhattan vocalist Hance Alligood, who is fantastic, and the only good thing left about this band. It’s rather saddening to see how a band that once had potential is now the laughing stock of the post-hardcore genre. They’ve gone through so many member changes over the last two years that they’re not even the same band anymore. The ultimate question, however, is how does sophomore record Genesi[s] compare to Number[s]? For the record, I really hate typing out that stupid “[s]” every single time; that’s just one reason why I can’t take this band seriously anymore. Regardless, the answer to that question is, it’s one of the worst albums I’ve ever heard. It’s a joke of an album; this is a band that’s obviously just grasping for any amount of fame they can get at this point, which is barely anything. Don’t even get me started on the whole “feud” between this band and Tyler Carter’s new band, Issues, whom ironically released a new EP the week prior.

The album starts off with intro “D-Day,” and this 37-second intro scares me from the beginning. This is an unnecessary intro, because it’s literally nothing but really weird noises, and even some gunfire, I guess. Why was this even made? What is the point of this? I like music that challenges me, but this just leaves me with unanswered questions. It leads right into second track “F.Y.I,” and this is where things get really awful, really fast. It also leads me to the first of many problems – screamer Doriano Magliano. He joined the band in 2012, and he’s most famously known for being the former screamer of former Rise Records band That’s Outrageous. You know what else is outrageous? He gets more time on this album than Alligood. He’s the real star, not this guy. I cannot stand this guy’s screams. They sound like a 12-year-old who just discovered screaming for the first time. It doesn’t help that he starts screaming on the second track… Basically, this song is just one giant breakdown. Scratch that – the whole album is just one giant breakdown. It’s a whole breakdown with very immature and horrible lyrics that a 13-year-old would write and think is really great. These lyrics are absolutely awful. There is not one song that actually features decent lyrics. It’s all about how haters wouldn’t get to them, they’re better than Issues, and a lot of profanity that doesn’t even need to be there. Basically, if “F.Y.I” says anything to me, it says this: “F.y.i, this is an uninspired, and generic piece of garbage that shouldn’t even be listened to.” Seriously, any possibility of this album being good has been thrown out of the window. And to make matters worse, Alligood doesn’t even appear on the album until the third song “A Story to Tell” on the chorus, of all places. That’s it. He’s just in the chorus and bridge for barely any time. I’d rather hear him than Magliano, because he’s just terrible, honestly. I’m only about three songs into this, and it’s really awful. It’s generic, uninspired, and so boring. Why was this album even made? This band is the definition of beating a dead horse – they shouldn’t be together, but they are. Why do people still take this band seriously? Most albums have at least one or two songs that are okay, or save it a little bit. This doesn’t really have it at all. Every song sounds exactly the same, and it’s just the same cliché breakdown over and over. There’s nothing creative about this at all. I can’t take anything from this. Yeah, Woe, Is Me got heavier, and ditched the interesting keyboard flourishes. At least after the third song, Alligood appears more so in the same, mainly just in the choruses. Speaking of which, Magliano’s screams are really irritating. He has no range whatsoever, and in fact, none of the band members (besides Alligood) really know what they’re doing. They’re all awful musicians, basically. Even the sole original members, drummer Austin Thornton and rhythm guitarist Kevin Hanson can’t even save this band.

Fifth song “Nothing Left to Lose” does provide a bit of variety, specifically in the beginning with a pop-punk-esque chorus that just seems so out of place. Even that is uninspired, and boring. Alligood is the only thing keeping that part afloat. But then Magliano’s annoying scream appears, and all hope for the song disappears. His screams are awful, and I don’t understand why he takes the lead vocal duties, while Alligood is left behind. He’s their secret weapon, but they’re not utilizing him the way they should. Instead, it’s almost like they want to be a cliché genericore band. Next track “The Walking Dead” (the TV show is much better, trust me) features Memphis May Fire vocalist Matty Mullins, but even he can’t save this album. There is literally no song on this album that is distinguishable. The only ones that come close are the acoustically driven “Family First” and the acoustic version of “Nothing Left to Lose” at the end, which is a nice touch. That’s it, though. Every other song sounds exactly the same. It’s almost like they just wrote the same song ten times over, and put it all into a record. But my favorite (read: the worst, but I’m only being sarcastic) song on the record is first single, “I Told You So.” This song was written for the former members of Woe, Is Me, and it has some of the most cringeworthy lyrics that I’ve ever heard in my life. This one takes the cake: “You’re so proud of all the one-liners you wrote / It must be hard to talk s**t with a d**k in your throat.” Is that real? Are those real lyrics? I can’t believe a man would even say those words in that order… Remember what I said their lyrics sounding like a thirteen year old’s? Yeah, that’s what I meant. I can imagine a thirteen year old scene kid writing this and thinking it’s gold.

In all honesty, this album is a trainwreck, but I had to listen to it for myself to see how truly terrible it was. The only song that sounds sincere is the acoustically based “Family First,” and the acoustic version of “Nothing Left to Lose” at the end, because they feature Hance Alligood much more. He’s the sole reason this band is actually still going; no one cares about the rest of the awful members. We all were hoping for Hance to step up to the mic, but no. Instead of that, we get 32-minutes of Magliano vomiting into a mic. It sounds great, doesn’t it? Sarcastically speaking, of course. This record was doomed from the moment they announced it. Even if Hance was on the album much more, there’s no way it would’ve topped Number[s]. This is a joke, basically. Everything on here sounds so uninspired and boring. I’ve heard this a million times, but the thing is, there are bands that are generic, but have fun. This band doesn’t do that. I have a feeling they genuinely think they’re great musicians. It’s a shame that kids eat this stuff up, though; it’s certainly going to sell, and it’s a shame. There are loads of band in this genre that deserve the “success” that Woe, Is Me have gotten. A part of me hopes this is their last record, to be honest. At this point, they’re just beating a dead horse, and really need to quit. I really wonder why this was even made, because this is absolutely terrible. Woe, is me? Yes, woe is me for listening to this abysmal garbage.

Recommended If You Like If you like uninspired and pointless music, this is for you.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. D-Day
2. F.Y.I.
3. A Story to Tell
4. With Our Friend[s] Behind Us
5. Nothing Left to Lose
6. The Walking Dead (feat. Matty Mullins)
7. I Came, I Saw, I Conquered
8. Call It Like You See It
9. I’ve Told You Once
10. Family First
11. Nothing Left to Lose (acoustic)

Woe, Is Me is:
Hance Alligood – clean vocals
Doriano Magliano – harsh vocals
Andrew Paiano – lead guitar
Kevin Hanson – rhythm guitar
Brian Medley – bass guitar
Austin Thornton - drums

www.facebook.com/woeis

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21.
01:29 PM on 11/22/12
Bradalee21
ll.
User Info.
Wall of text is.....ugh. And you used the word "generic" so many times it's become, well, generic.
07:22 PM on 11/22/12
justbradley
User Info.
Wall of text is.....ugh. And you used the word "generic" so many times it's become, well, generic.
Well, that's pretty much what the album is -- generic. Just because I said it a lot doesn't make it any less true, well, in my opinion, anyway.
03:02 AM on 11/23/12
numbernine
User Info.
You think that Hance's vocals deserve 1/10? Sorry, but you're deaf...This guy have a really nice voice and he fits well in music like this. Im not the biggest fan of this album, but I would give a solid 6/10. I know that you wanna be funny and sarcastic, but dont forget to be objective next time
05:38 PM on 11/23/12
justbradley
User Info.
You think that Hance's vocals deserve 1/10? Sorry, but you're deaf...This guy have a really nice voice and he fits well in music like this. Im not the biggest fan of this album, but I would give a solid 6/10. I know that you wanna be funny and sarcastic, but dont forget to be objective next time
Well, to be honest, he's a good vocalist, but he's barely on the album. I can't give his vocals a huge score when he's not even on the album. When I count vocals, I count both screams and cleans, and well... Their screamer is terrible, so I'm not going to rate vocals a six, despite Hance being great. If he was featured more on the album, I would've given the vocals a six, hands down. This review was more funny and sarcastic than "serious," and I do understand what you mean, but I accounted for both vocalists, rather than just one.
04:44 AM on 11/24/12
numbernine
User Info.
Its not about vocals only, I think rating this album 5/100 is a little unfair. Of course its generic, but almost all bands like this are generic today. Its short, energetic kick of some metalcore stuff with very nice clean vocals imo, thats it. Nothing special, but I think new Parkway Drive album is as same generic as Genesis, and everyone love it. Just because its Parkway ;)
07:52 AM on 11/24/12
WakingTheMisery
<3
User Info.
I stopped after the first sentence because of that presumption.
10:20 AM on 11/24/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
that opening statement isn't too far off, maybe like 35 % of scene kids do or something

either way, reviewer score is very correct so congratz
05:32 PM on 11/24/12
de1337ed
I hope you made it through December
User Info.
I don't know what to take more seriously, this band or this review.
07:16 PM on 11/24/12
justbradley
User Info.
I stopped after the first sentence because of that presumption.
Funny how after I wrote that sentence, I explain who the band is, but okay.
07:17 PM on 11/24/12
justbradley
User Info.
I don't know what to take more seriously, this band or this review.
Funny how Jack's review has the same score as mine, and had a lot of the same things to say about this album, too. This isn't my most serious review, either; it was meant to be humorous, with some subtle truths behind it.
07:19 PM on 11/24/12
justbradley
User Info.
Its not about vocals only, I think rating this album 5/100 is a little unfair. Of course its generic, but almost all bands like this are generic today. Its short, energetic kick of some metalcore stuff with very nice clean vocals imo, thats it. Nothing special, but I think new Parkway Drive album is as same generic as Genesis, and everyone love it. Just because its Parkway ;)
You do have a point there; the new Parkway album is rather generic, but there are moments where it does step outside the boundaries. Woe Is Me don't even attempt to, and it's just your straightforward chug-a-thon. There aren't any attempts to creativity here. Parkway Drive are at least trying to get metal fans to take them more seriously, and not just classify them as a scene band.
08:03 PM on 11/24/12
TheRealJohnOC
I've seen 701 bands/artists live
User Info.
Quote:
Yes, woe is me for listening to this abysmal garbage.

01:59 AM on 11/25/12
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.

Wow, attempting to compare Parkway to this rubbish, are you 12?
02:58 AM on 11/25/12
numbernine
User Info.
Wow, attempting to compare Parkway to this rubbish, are you 12?
no, Im 25 and I know Parkway from almost their beginning. Seen them live 3 times, so believe me, I know what Im talking about and I will stick with my opinion. Im not comparing anything ! Just think, that you cant say shit about bands, only because they style is generic. Whats not generic these days...PD new album sounds the same as last one, whats new on it? Some bad sounding gang vocals, scratches or what? I listened to it 2 times and I dont remember anything, just another typical mc album. At least they're awesome live
btw, its funny when 19yo dude asking "are you 12?" haha. Im in music like this from 2004 mate, got my own taste and opinions. Someday you'll stop to call bands shit, just because theye generic, believe me.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS