AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Last Call - Dog Years Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9.13
Production 9
Creativity 8.13
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.38
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net

Last Call - Dog Years

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (11/28/12)
Last CallDog Years
Record Label: Broken Arrow Collective
Release Date: November 27, 2012

Who would have thought that one of the best surprises and pop-punk records of the year would come out at the end of November. Well, true to their name, Last Call have done just that with Dog Years, their debut full-length record. Even though it has only been a year since their last EP, Stay on the Outside, I lost track of them in this time, as they’ve been on quite a roller-coaster since the release of that EP. Abruptly parting with Mightier Than Sword Records in the midst of recording, Last Call started their own record label, Broken Arrow Collective, with some friends.

The result of all this chaos, interruptions, and change is Dog Years, one of the year’s biggest curveballs and strongest pop-punk releases. Basically, Last Call have combined the aggressive nature of The Starting Line (“Nothing, Ever” and “Small Town Blues”) with the sensibility and wit of The American Scene or The Dangerous Summer (“No Bridge Back”), wrapped it all with the best elements of pop-punk, and crafted their debut record.

There is a sense of brooding sadness within these songs, masked and bolstered by gritty riffs, feisty drums, and rapid vocals. Take a minute to digest the opening “Generation Gap” for perfect proof of this sentiment. The drums get your foot tapping, a burly bass dances around in the background, and then the guitars kick in at full speed. Sure, it all sounds happy-go-lucky here, right? However, the lyrics are socially conscious and really perk up the ear: “Did you learn a thing about her pain / How it felt when her father walked out / Did you give a damn / When he told you she broke his heart / Left him there in the winter air / In his father’s car.” There’s a sophisticated imagery and feeling of heartache here that’s incredibly easy to relate to – these are stories we have all heard and know. That’s the thing about Dog Years, it’s honest to the core and begs to be heard and understood.

Both lead single “Bones” and later “Glassell St.” augment further intensity, with heavy reliance on dual vocals letting the songs pack a one-two punch. Conversely, “Winter Clothes” is a slow burning fire, employing pulsating palm mutes to give the track its sting. Clearly, Last Call realize what works best to convey different moods, switching pacing from all out rocking to mellow jamming. After the hollowing instrumental “Limbo,” the backbreaking drums of “Braid” come in out of nowhere – catching your attention form the get go. In similar fashion, the isolated bass line on “Dog Years” ensures the line, “It’s a house I’ll never buy / And a bed I’ll never make / It’s a wife I’ll never wed / And a song I’ll never meet / I’m sorry” hits home. Moments like this lend excessive weight to the words due to the instrumentation – the bass line perks up your ears, while Austin Jeffers’ words remain in your head even after the song ends.

Near the end of the record comes what seems to be Last Call’s anthem with “Live Like Roark” due to the defining line, “When all we have left / Is love and respect / If we lose that / Then we’re losing everything / And all we’re trying to be / Is decent human beings.” With Dog Years, I’d say Last Call accomplish all this and more. Despite all of their hardships, Last Call come out on top here, releasing one of the strongest, most authentic and heartfelt records of the year.

8/10

Recommended If You LikeThe Starting Line; The American Scene; The Dangerous Summer; Transit; The Wonder Years

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Generation Gap
2. Bones
3. Winter Clothes
4. Dog Years
5. Limbo
6. Braid
7. Live Like Roark
8. Glassell St.
9. No Bridge Back
10. Nothing, Ever.
11. Breathing Fire
12. Small Town Blues

Last Call is:
Adam Blasco – Drums
Austin Jeffers – Vocals
Ryan Stokke – Guitar
Kyle Peterson – Bass

Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
08:05 PM on 11/28/12
SuperSharkWeek
www.twitter.com/goawaytkus
User Info.
So good! They totally deserve it after all the effort they put into the record.
08:52 AM on 11/29/12
Micah511
Let's Talk About Your Hair
User Info.
whoa, those RIYL are right up my alley. hopefully it does have that sensibility guitar wise like the american scene and transit, thats the reason those bands stick around for me.
09:12 AM on 11/29/12
Quijiba
User Info.
pretty sweet record. Listening to it today. Great stuff
09:16 AM on 11/29/12
StayFaithful
Pray for a reason to breathe.
User Info.
Fucking love this record. This and FCC's contender are my best pop punk albums of the year.
09:32 AM on 11/29/12
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Gotta check this out I guess
10:00 AM on 11/29/12
Xiegfried
Reconnect This
User Info.
Haven't even heard of these guys. I'll have to grab this.
10:11 AM on 11/29/12
ViTOP
http://twitter.com/VitoPagano
User Info.
For everything this band has fought through to get this record out ... IT FUCKIN KILLS.
Amazing dudes that make awesome music in a hard town to be a band with a label that fucked them over along with leaving them high and dry while recording. This would have been enough to cripple most bands but these dudes came thru on the other side. <3

BAND IS BACKED HARD.
Love you ~ V
10:49 AM on 11/29/12
avarice14
A Waste Of A Time
User Info.
If you consider yourself a fan of pop punk, this album is a must.
12:16 PM on 11/29/12
RobbieBerns
"We are the Lionel"
User Info.
Man, this album is great.
02:32 PM on 11/29/12
ninjajoe
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so so so so good.
03:51 PM on 11/29/12
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
User Info.
Hadn't heard of them before but I'm liking this album so far.
06:18 PM on 11/29/12
Chris Immunity
Immunity Clothing
User Info.
these are my best friends and this record is top 3 for the year.
10:51 AM on 11/30/12
punchlinekid182
This wind changed me
User Info.
loving this record. he sounds so much like kenny from TSL
04:06 PM on 12/01/12
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
about 3/4 of this is really enjoyable for this genre. I'd probably give it the same score, maybe a tad lower
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums