AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Heart To Heart - Heart To Heart Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 5
Production 7
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 63%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.38
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.38
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.63
Lasting Value 8.38
Reviewer Tilt 8.63
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Heart To Heart - Heart To Heart

Reviewed by: Kelly Doherty (12/04/12)
Heart To Heart - Heart To Heart
Record Label: Anchor Eighty Four Records
Release Date: October 9, 2012

California’s Heart To Heart are a pop punk band. They check off every single ingredient needed to get the masses moshing and are everything that the kids like. Angsty lyrics? Check. Catchy choruses and heavy verses? Check. Yelled, quasi-inspirational lyrics and screamed anger? Check. So, before going into this review, just know that Heart To Heart certainly aren’t bringing anything new to the table and they’re not leaving behind breathless, inspired musical fans. If this sounds like it won’t be your cup of tea, you’re probably right, however if you’re looking for some catchy pop punk, Heart To Heart are right up your alley.

Heart To Heart works sort of like a summary of the current pop punk genre. Each track slips into a different chapter, or a different group of bands from the scene. Opener “In Case You Haven’t Noticed” sounds identical to an A Day To Remember track. Whether it be the the growl/ sing dynamic, the lite breakdowns, or a small spoken part where I had to double check if Jeremy McKinnon was doing a guest spot, the song is a an exact replica of anything that could have been heard on Homesick. It’s not a bad track, it starts off with a bouncy punk edge which is quite fresh sounding and the initial focus on bass guitar is pretty original, but the lyrics... Oh the lyrics. Lines such as “ In case you haven’t noticed, I’m set to self destruct” sound like they’re straight off a teenager’s regrettable tattoo and subtlety is left at the door when listening to this record.

Second track, “Your Name Here” focuses on the poppier side of things. With more than a hint of The Starting Line minus Vasoli’s dulcet tones, it’s one of the better tracks on the record. Coming across as quite a fun track, it’s ultimately very likable. “Life Preserver” is terrible. Honestly. The growls are so forced at one point of the track we get to hear the vocalist making a Hulk-like intake of breath before an over-long growl which ends, of course, with the a heavy sigh. It goes beyond the realms of generic to just being irritating. The rest of the record follows the pattern set out before them. Each track is the product of the following formula: slow verse x noodly guitar + breakdown - heaviness * soft vocals x br00tal growl = success - lyrical talent. The only track that deviates from this is “GV”, the acoustic track, which ends in a crescendo of gang singing. No, I’m not reviewing Homesick. This is actually a completely separate release.

“Life Preserver” is the only time actual emotion (anger) is evoked by the record. By and large, the record is pleasant, but no more than that. Heart To Heart will provide your jams for the week, but when it comes down to it, there’s hundreds of bands doing exactly what they do, but better. It’s a release aimed at the same kids who will love a pop punk album as long as it brings the mosh no matter how it actually sounds, but certainly won’t gain the band any new fans, due to a lack of personality coming through the release. If Heart To Heart want to make a name for themselves, they need to find an identity before their sophomore album. If not, this is just another band, from another town, that’ll get lost in the mix.

Recommended If You LikeA Day To Remember; Close Your Eyes; Stickup Kid; grrrr

Additional Information Track Listing
1. In Case You Haven’t Noticed
2. Your Name Here
3. Life Preserver
4. Forty Forty Twenty
5. See Sick
6. The Turn
7. Thanks For Nothing
8. Thanks For Everything
9. Stuck
10. Sleepless
11. GV
12. 300 To Life

6/10

Official Site
Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
04:58 AM on 12/04/12
blackmold
Bro
User Info.
Been meaning to check this album out but haven't gotten around to it yet. This review will probably make me put it off even longer. I feel like this is one of those bands that does things DIY so kids act like they're the best thing around but, according to this, they're really not. Will probably still check this out eventually so I can judge for myself.
08:10 AM on 12/04/12
zippoX41
GooGoo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This review sucks, this record is awesome.
08:29 AM on 12/04/12
dmcaloon
www.facebook.com/The30thOfFebruary
User Info.
I loved their song "Requiem." Really surprised to see that their full-length is anything like how you described it. I'll have to see for myself I guess.
08:44 AM on 12/04/12
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
I loved their song "Requiem." Really surprised to see that their full-length is anything like how you described it. I'll have to see for myself I guess.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you.. I heard a track by them a few months ago and I liked it. I'd expected something more original
10:44 AM on 12/04/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
This review is incredibly accurate. They are a super average band that has their moments. Sometimes reads like a track by track, but whatever.

Excellent review for a 5.5/10 album.
01:46 PM on 12/04/12
drummer13
http://chaplinband.bandcamp.com/
User Info.
This review sucks, this record is awesome.
This is kinda mean, but I'm forced to agree. I love this record, and the emotions are tangible. Also, Tony Geravesh's amazing guest vocal is overlooked. I'm not saying HTH bring anything groundbreaking to the table, but I don't think there's a bad song on the record. And I love "Life Preserver." This review seems very slanted.
04:18 PM on 12/04/12
AbsentTruth
we will overcome
User Info.
Personally, I would have rated this higher. This album is awesome.
04:43 PM on 12/04/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
This is kinda mean, but I'm forced to agree. I love this record, and the emotions are tangible. Also, Tony Geravesh's amazing guest vocal is overlooked. I'm not saying HTH bring anything groundbreaking to the table, but I don't think there's a bad song on the record. And I love "Life Preserver." This review seems very slanted.
Your band is pretty good. Reminds me of Anberlin. The production occasionally bugs me but yeah it's kinda different, certainly interesting. Also I find it a bit taxing to go through the whole album.
09:34 PM on 12/04/12
adamblasco
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I honestly don't think I've ever disagreed with a review more... literally on every point made. This record slays, and I highly recommend everyone check it out. For the record - It sounds nothing like ADTR.
11:13 PM on 12/04/12
ZICKKKK
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I honestly don't think I've ever disagreed with a review more... literally on every point made. This record slays, and I highly recommend everyone check it out. For the record - It sounds nothing like ADTR.

Love you
11:56 AM on 12/05/12
Kelly Doherty
User Info.
Kelly,

I enjoy reading reviews on my band whether they are good or bad as long as they are well written And the writer knows what they are talking about. You got 1 of 2 of those traits right. Ill give it to you, you got potential. It sounds like you are a 16 year old from Ireland. If I'm not mistaken, you are. I know about your creditability at Absolute Punk so not too worried about this review. Can't please them all. Next time just get your facts straight and know a little more about what you are talking about. I can't wait to review your bands record. Let me know when you release that. Keep it up though. You got heart. For those few who commented and wanted to check out the record message my personal Facebook and ill email it to you for free. Then you can tell me what you think. Much love.
Dude from band,

I find it incredibly ironic that you refer to my age (which is actually 17) and youth as a negative thing in what I believe to be an incredibly immature comment. I apologize greatly that I didn't give your band 100%, however 63% is not a negative review, I said that your album is pleasant. Before you decide to get all angry about a review, try to read it first, don't just look at the numbers. And yes, I'll send you a copy of my band's album so you can give it a bad review without listening to it, well done. I enjoyed your first EP and found that this lacked personality, but was overall decent enough. You've got potential. It's very interesting that you find no flaws in your own music. Feel free to send me your next release, I'll give it a fair review, as I do everything.

Also, my "creditabilty" or lack thereof? Just, wow.
11:57 AM on 12/05/12
Kelly Doherty
User Info.
Forgot to mention. Go fuck yourself.
Eh.. Right.
12:20 PM on 12/05/12
ZICKKKK
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I apologize. I do appreciate what you do. Keep in touch.
12:42 PM on 12/05/12
ZICKKKK
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

I let a friend read this last night on my phone and he had posted this. I didn't see it till now. I apologize. Sorry.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums