Male - 23 Years Old
The Mezingers for sure, if you're into TGA
08:35 AM on 02/03/13 
User Info.
barkjon
we were a roman candle
Seattle, WA
Male - 17 Years Old
Been listening to alot of TGA recently, and I'm still convinced that SoS is their best release (not by much, though). So many good songs, so much passion.
10:06 AM on 02/03/13 
User Info.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
New, Mexico
Male - 26 Years Old
cool, thanks man! I'll check some of em.

People have rec'd me Against Me!, The Bouncing Souls, and Frank Turner - where to start?

for Against Me! check out Reinventing Axl Rose and As the Eternal Cowboy for them at their folk-punkiest. And look into Sam Russo. His debut album, Storm, is pretty sweet. when Sink or Swim came out, Gaslight got a lot of comparisons to American Steel, Against Me! and Lucero (see: That Much Further West; Tennessee).

Also, try Avail - Over the James and Front Porch Stories (ESSENTIAL)
05:59 PM on 02/03/13 
User Info.
kehuchau
No Avatar Selected
edmonton
Male
Been listening to alot of TGA recently, and I'm still convinced that SoS is their best release (not by much, though). So many good songs, so much passion.

Yep SOS still the best!
01:42 AM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
England
Male - 25 Years Old
Let Me Run - Meet Me At The Bottom
11:28 AM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
6george4
No Avatar Selected
Male - 23 Years Old
BLACKWATER '64: Good time Rock n' Roll from St.Louis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2JLp4h9NxA

http://www.facebook.com/Blackwater64
12:18 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
qwerty22
we're pieces on the board
Maryland
Male

I feel the same way, even though I like everything that came after. Those songs aren't super innovative, but they never get old. I go through phases with that album where I listen to it nonstop for weeks.
12:50 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
Hey guys.

Sooo, I'm a huge fan of TGA, so I'm looking for some bands that have a similar sound to them, that sorta folky-punk thing going on (don't rec Springsteen, tried and failed to get into him). Recs please?

EDIT: and what album of their's to start with, if possible

The Replacements, Banquets, Against Me!, Lucero, Gin Blossoms (more on the pop end of things), maybe try Titus Andronicus, Langhorne Slim, Riverboat Gamblers, later stuff by The Weakerthans (kind of).

But mostly The Replacements. Best advice anyone will ever give you. And try Springsteen again you schmuck, which album did you listen to?

Edit: Saw you wanted albums. For The Replacements go with Tim or Let It Be, the AM! and Lucero albums already mentioned in this thread are good, Banquets hasn't done much so get everything they have, New Miserable Experience is the only Gin Blossoms record that counts. The Monitor for Titus, try Langhorne Slim's newest record, To the Confusion of Our Enemies for Riverboat Gamblers, and Reconstruction Site for The Weakerthans.
12:53 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
S/T
There's a lot of buzz around Lenny
Wreckingball is likely the most accessible Springsteen album for a Gaslight fan looking for somewhere to start. Probably one of my three favorite albums from last year. If you don't like the title track I don't know what to tell you.
02:07 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Wreckingball is likely the most accessible Springsteen album for a Gaslight fan looking for somewhere to start. Probably one of my three favorite albums from last year. If you don't like the title track I don't know what to tell you.

Eh. IMO Born to Run is still more accessible. If you like the lyric portion of Gaslight (and who doesn't?) I don't see how you make it through Thunder Road without turning into Springsteen fan. Wrecking Ball wasn't a bad album, but it doesn't show off his greatness.
02:34 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
S/T
There's a lot of buzz around Lenny
Eh. IMO Born to Run is still more accessible. If you like the lyric portion of Gaslight (and who doesn't?) I don't see how you make it through Thunder Road without turning into Springsteen fan. Wrecking Ball wasn't a bad album, but it doesn't show off his greatness.

In general, I'd agree, but from the position of a Gaslight fan I think the production values and style of Wreckingball are a little more inline with Gaslight. Since he mentioned the folky style I was tempted to mention Nebraska or another of his slower albums, but I didn't really think they'd be a great place to start.

I gotta disagree with the sentiments about Wreckingball, though. I think the title track and Land of Hopes and Dreams are some of the best songs he's done. Not to mention it's arguably the best vocal work of his career and the fact that he put it together at age 61/62. I think it's arguably one of his top three albums when it comes to "showing off his greatness."

We need to get cshadows in here; I know he'd have something to say about this.
03:22 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
We need to get cshadows in here; I know he'd have something to say about this.

Hey I'm probably Springsteen fan #3 on this site behind other Chris (cshadows) and Craig, so I'll speak to this.

In my opinion at least (and many others'), Born to Run is always going to be the best album recommend to 98% of people as an entry point to the Springsteen catalog (the other 2% being those rare breeds who only dig Nebraska of his work). The reason for that is simple: it's his best album. It also contains some of his most instantly recognizable (and best) songs, and is the most concise and clear encapsulation of what Bruce is and what his music represents. Sure that has changed somewhat from album to album over time, but there's a reason people's minds always jump to Born to Run when they think of Bruce: it's the most critical piece of the Springsteen story.

That being said, I absolutely understand where you're coming from in rec'ing Wrecking Ball to him, in terms of the sound of the album alone. It is a great record and has some moments that sound a lot like what he's looking for. I'm gonna have to take issue with you suggesting it's arguably his best vocal work though. Not knocking his vocals on the record obviously.....but goddamn man you can't stack it up against Darkness and expect it to come out on top haha.

Speaking of, I would recommend Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River (particularly the first half) as other places for him to look in the Springsteen catalog based upon what we know he likes.

Anyway, that's that.
04:19 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
barkjon
we were a roman candle
Seattle, WA
Male - 17 Years Old
I actually have listened through Darkness, Wrecking Ball, Born to Run, and Tunnel of Love. Didn't really get into it *shrugs* liked some stuff off of Tunnel of Love, though.
04:21 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
I actually have listened through Darkness, Wrecking Ball, Born to Run, and Tunnel of Love. Didn't really get into it *shrugs* liked some stuff off of Tunnel of Love, though.

I'd give all of those albums a repeat listen or several and try Born in the USA too if you were into some of Tunnel
05:04 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
New, Mexico
Male - 26 Years Old
but really, cheque out Avail. they don't get enough love nowadays.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos