AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Rika - How To Draw A River Step By Step Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Rika - How To Draw A River Step By Step

Reviewed by: Kelly Doherty (02/17/13)
Rika - How To Draw A River Step By Step
Record Label: Count Your Lucky Stars Records/ Goddamn Records
Release Date: February 15, 2013

The world can be a bit rubbish sometimes, canít it? A lot of things seem to suck. And when things suck, weíre left feeling a bit sad, or angry, or however it is we feel about things sucking, and itís hard to make that better. One of the things that make the bad things better, though, is music. Considering that this review is posted on a community filled with kids that love and live music, I can safely say the vast majority of us have cried listening to a song, or have had our day improved by the presence of a melody in our ears. We all have those songs that we turn to when we want to feel better, or when we want to wallow (personally, my ĎReally Bloody Sadí playlist is always a help), and itís one of the ways that we connect with music. Rikaís How To Draw A River Step By Step is a collection of those songs. Throughout the course of the album, they sit the listener firmly on a rollercoaster of emotions. Itís an emo album, so obviously sadness has its place, but itís so much more than that. Expect melancholy, euphoria and a whole load of feeling from the very first moment you place your earphones in until the very last struck chord.

Rika, hailing from Austria, are a four piece destined for big things. Recently added to the roster of Count Your Lucky Stars Records - a label that appears to have an inability to do anything wrong - the band meld together the emo of their label mates with a somewhat more accessible, indie rock sound. In a few words, they are what would happen if Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) and Death Cab For Cutie decided (after a bonding session over their unwieldy band names) that they would come together and make a really sad album. The alternation between delicate piano and twinkly guitars throughout the album gives Rika a fresh feel and makes them stand out from many of their peers as being that little more mature in their songwriting. Opener ďRestlessĒ is wonderfully delicate, and starts the release off to a beautiful, melancholic start. The hushed, completely unforced vocals allow the piano-led instrumentation to shine and feel truly special. However, itís not just when wielding a piano that Rika feel special; ďSee-ThroughĒ slowly meanders around tired, deliberate guitarwork to make way for violins. Whilst violins on an emo song may sound a little peculiar, Rika make the transition from noodly guitar to violin seem like the most natural thing in the world. Itís this fluidness that makes Rika just a little bit special. The entire album glides through the speakers with an ease that makes the listening experience not just emotional but enjoyable. Itís so easy to like Rika, they donít aurally challenge their listener, but are never too saccharine or mundane; itís easy listening because itís beautiful.

The only aspect of How To Draw A River Step By Step that isnít quite perfect is the lyrics. Sometimes theyíre a little too clunky or a bit nondescript, but considering that Rika are Austrian, itís not a particularly big problem. The band manage to make emotive music that doesnít rely on relating to the lyricism, but on skillful instrumentation. Overall, How To Draw A River Step By Step is a truly excellent album. The band have crafted ten tracks that are worth revisiting over and over again, and can proudly stand alongside classic bands such as The Appleseed Cast and Mineral. Get into this, you wonít regret it.

Recommended If You LikeEmpire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate); The Appleseed Cast; Mineral; Death Cab Goes Emo; emotional music

Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Restless
2. Port Dover
3. Mute
4. See-Through
5. Safety Points
6. Ultramarine Blue
7. October
8. Retrospect
9. Treasure
10. Departure

Band Members
Natascha
Stefan
Richard
X:Chris

8.8/10

Official Site
Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
04:49 AM on 02/17/13
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
Side note: I really love the artwork.
07:49 AM on 02/18/13
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
lovely album, great review. Such an easy album to listen to. Would love to see your "Really Bloody Sad" playlist. CYLS really can do no wrong.
08:47 AM on 02/18/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
yuppppp
12:25 PM on 02/19/13
bradsonemanband
Change To Fire/Cootie Catcher
User Info.
just ordered this on vinyl. woo!
11:38 AM on 02/21/13
showyourteeth
Busy, Busy, Busy
User Info.
I was looking forward to this full length after the split they put out with E! E! and it definitely exceeded my expectations. Wonderful album, great review.
11:54 AM on 02/23/13
JayDanielHammer
solidkneeplus.tumblr.com
User Info.
Mineral is my favorite of all time. The only band I was willing to tattoo on myself.

Will check this out. Thanks for the review!
01:14 AM on 05/02/13
gameboyman5
Rockin!!
User Info.
CYLS is a perfect label and this is just showing it for the hundredth time . great record
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums