Password

Album Review

The Words We Use - Morals EP Album Cover

The Words We Use - Morals EP

Reviewed by
The Words We Use - Morals EP
Record Label: Pale Horse Management/Self-Released
Release Date: June 11, 2012
Sometimes, I feel like people take music too seriously. The main purpose of music being released is generally so the public can reap some kind of enjoyment from listening to it (unless, of course, you're brokeNCYDE or BOTDF). However, unfortunately, people in this scene (and, I presume, nearly every other) get too worked up over the smallest things. Thus, it's hard to go to a youtube video of a post-hardcore or metalcore band's music and not find any hateful comments claiming it as "generic" or whatever else. More often than not, the primary purpose of music is lost, and its nature as art disappears. It's the unfortunate downfall of the hardcore music scene, but there are some things we just can't fix.

My point in saying that is this: I really enjoyed listening to this album. Like, I really liked it, but some others wouldn't for the reasons stated above. Now, putting my reviewing cap on and removing my bias as well as I can, bottom line is that this is a really fun listen if you're into post-hardcore. I look down at the notes I took while listening through it and see mostly positive comments, so they must have done something right. Allow me to elaborate.

The first thing that caught my attention, as always, were the vocals. While their screams aren't anything we haven't heard before, clean vocalist Tyler Richmond impressed me right away. His range is pretty noteworthy, and he sounds like a mixture of Misha Camacho and Matty Mullins in a band that sounds like a mixture of theirs. He has great control of his voice and used it just the way that flattered him, so I was really impressed. Even the screams are a tasteful support to the music and, when the two vocalists clash against each other, add a texture that enhances the music.

Speaking of the music, it wasn't too bad at all. There's certainly talent and potential in their writing and playing. They have nice ambient leads throughout their songs, which keeps your mind off of the chugging when it gets monotonous. They also had some really cool riffs, and even got technical in some passages (a brief tapping phrase here, a sweep-picking riff there). Their guitar work sounds really similar to Memphis May Fire's The Hollow, which also brings me to my next point. One thing these guys do really well that others in their genre ultimately fail to is blend the poppier elements of post-hardcore (see "Building Coral Castle") with the heavier influences ("Morals"). Their catchy choruses were actually, well, catchy, and Richmond's vocals only made them better. Their breakdowns were heavy and powerful, even if they weren't too creative. If anything, this band really has a lot of elements that makes them stand out above the rest, but not too much.

I also immediately took note of the Chango-sounding production, and appreciated its subtlety in the music--contrary to the usual drowning that kind of sound does to the music (I eventually figured out afterwards that the EP was, in fact, recorded at Chango Studios, but produced by Jake Garland instead of Cameron Mizell). It really added to the band's sound, itself.

Overall, like I said, this album is a really fun and enjoyable listen, even if it's not something too incredibly special or groundbreaking. There's no doubt these guys are going nowhere but up and have immense amounts of potential, but until they harness that potential, they're gonna get all the hateful comments on youtube and dumb labels everywhere else.

...but I have a feeling they'll come through.

Recommended If You LikeMemphis May Fire, Sleeping With Sirens, Outline in Color, Broadway.

https://www.facebook.com/TheWordsWeUse
This review is a user submitted review from hanselromero. You can see all of hanselromero's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
01:01 PM on 03/12/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
The singer has a a twitter account that solely posts Lydia lyrics
01:01 PM on 03/12/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Good review by the way.
01:18 PM on 03/12/13
dmcaloon
www.facebook.com/The30thOfFebruary
User Info.
I feel like people just get frustrated. They hear this music they like, but after 5, 10, 15 years, eventually it loses its charm. Even if the newer bands aren't doing anything wrong, they often get ignored for that reason.

That's not to say I've never listened to a newer band and not liked it because they sound similar to too many other bands, but the opposite has definitely happened as well. It's just the way it is I guess.

Regardless, good review. Glad to see my home state getting decent representation. Really hope these guys go somewhere.
05:36 PM on 03/12/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Great review, very fair for a subjective take. My personal rating would be probably an 8.5/10 for enjoyment. Cameron Mizell uses touches in some way everything that comes into Chango and I'm pretty sure he mastered this one. Band has some great sounding sections - i.e.; the clean guitar section of Coral Castle.
05:40 PM on 03/12/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
I feel like people just get frustrated. They hear this music they like, but after 5, 10, 15 years, eventually it loses its charm. Even if the newer bands aren't doing anything wrong, they often get ignored for that reason.

That's not to say I've never listened to a newer band and not liked it because they sound similar to too many other bands, but the opposite has definitely happened as well. It's just the way it is I guess.

Regardless, good review. Glad to see my home state getting decent representation. Really hope these guys go somewhere.

Bingo. Regardless of genre, there's only so many chances to sound truly original so it's always a bit disheartening to see people so vehemently negative. The Words We Use is a great example of a band who does this sound well; they stay within normal boundaries but keep it tight and fresh throughout without relying on too many clichés.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos