AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

06:52 AM on 03/12/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 28 Years Old
I'm hoping to get into a PhD program after my undergrad in bio-medical science, and the preparations are killing me. I keep my GPA up, but I am working my ass off to do as much research on campus as possible. Hoping to work with some local biotech companies soon.
Anything you're leaning towards? what sorts of labs have you checked out? Boston is fantastic if you want to go into pharma or biotech, so much opportunity (relatively speaking).
07:10 AM on 03/12/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Anything you're leaning towards? what sorts of labs have you checked out? Boston is fantastic if you want to go into pharma or biotech, so much opportunity (relatively speaking).

Boston is fantastic for biotech, one of the main reasons I go to school in the city. My professors are fantastic. I have looked at Genzyme and Biogen, the real big ones in the area. I'm hoping to get some work done with professors in their labs, so I could ideally have taken their class, worked in their lab, and get a recommendation letter from them. I'm hoping to get some work done in the cellular or molecular fields, since I want a PhD in molecular genetics or microbiology. There is also this really cool internship I want at the New England Aquarium where you are on the emergency medical staff and aid in animal emergencies and also research what instances happened to the animals.

EDIT: Also I am doing my honors thesis on horizontal gene transfer, so I am hoping that helps as well.
11:10 AM on 03/12/13 
User Info.
ShimmerAndSpill
Be Brave
Tallahassee
Male - 23 Years Old
awesome stuff, great job!

Thanks!
01:36 PM on 03/16/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 28 Years Old
Boston is fantastic for biotech, one of the main reasons I go to school in the city. My professors are fantastic. I have looked at Genzyme and Biogen, the real big ones in the area. I'm hoping to get some work done with professors in their labs, so I could ideally have taken their class, worked in their lab, and get a recommendation letter from them. I'm hoping to get some work done in the cellular or molecular fields, since I want a PhD in molecular genetics or microbiology. There is also this really cool internship I want at the New England Aquarium where you are on the emergency medical staff and aid in animal emergencies and also research what instances happened to the animals.

EDIT: Also I am doing my honors thesis on horizontal gene transfer, so I am hoping that helps as well.
Ya any research experience is awesome. My advice to you is to really gravitate towards labs where you get some independence but also decent guidance (whether it be from a PI, postdoc, or grad student). Avoid labs that don't have technicians because they'll just make you a technician which is kind of like, a scientific maid/butler. You want to learn the scientific method so definitely look towards labs that're actively churning out publications (you can get that info just by googling the professor's name or searching on pubmed). Mol gen and micro are always hot topics. Utilize your summers wisely. If you have questions about specific labs and how to search em up, PM me the name of the PI and I'll help you out. Good luck!
01:37 PM on 03/16/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 28 Years Old
so your program starts in the fall i guess? It's a 2 year MA? I don't know if you said so but what're your long term goals?
05:47 PM on 03/17/13 
User Info.
ShimmerAndSpill
Be Brave
Tallahassee
Male - 23 Years Old
so your program starts in the fall i guess? It's a 2 year MA? I don't know if you said so but what're your long term goals?

Yeah starts this fall. It's a 36 credit hour MS so it can be done in a year. I plan on doing a master's thesis and then using it to get a Phd in sport management. I'll probably take a year or two off after the master's and see if I can get some experience in the field, preferably in college athletics. Will be easier to transition back into the Phd that way.
06:33 PM on 03/17/13 
User Info.
Skadrist
Más mexicano que vos
Dallas, (Pleasant...
Male - 27 Years Old
I plan on becoming a licensed professional counselor. I am currently teaching right now; I love teaching but I am not a fan of the current system of teaching. In simple terms I love the profession but I hate it's bureaucracy. Hell, I work in a school where kids are lucky to get 5 minutes of recess a day. The job is also quite taxing mentally and takes a lot out of me.

Also knowing that Spanish speakers are really underrepresented when it comes to mental health issues is a big motivator to become a counselor.
09:09 PM on 03/17/13 
User Info.
xxemo_kittyxx
meow.
Brisbane, Australia
Female - 24 Years Old
Should be reading journals so I can actually get into a Grad school but instead I'm on AP.

Yep.
10:03 PM on 03/17/13 
User Info.
Tedyosteopy
No Avatar Selected
The Bahamas
Longchamp {latest|most recent|newest|most up-to-date|most current|hottest|current|most recently released} 2013 {spring|springtime|early spring|planting season|spg|originate|spring and coil|new season} series exudes {color|colour|shade|coloring|colora tion|colouring|colors|tone} avant-garde {fashion|style|trend|manner|vogue|d esign|way|designer} atmosphere {{longchamp le pliage|longchamp pliage hobo|longchamp pliage bag|longchamp le pliage bags|longchamppliagebags.webnode.co m|home|about|homepage}|{longchamp le pliage|longchamp pliage hobo|longchamp pliage bag|longchamp le pliage bags|longchamppliagebags.webnode.co m|home|about|homepage}|{longchamp le pliage|longchamp pliage hobo|longchamp pliage bag|longchamp le pliage bags|longchamppliagebags.webnode.co m|home|about|homepage}} http://longchamppliagebags.webnode.com,Tuo te {bags|totes|hand bags|luggage|carriers|baggage|sacks |plastic bags}, hobo {bags|totes|hand bags|luggage|carriers|baggage|sacks |plastic bags} or {dinner|supper|meal|evening meal|an evening meal|dining|dinner time|food} {{ sac a main michael kors|sac michael kors|michael kors sac|sacs michael kors|michaelkorssacs.bligoo.fr|home |about|homepage}|{ sac a main michael kors|sac michael kors|michael kors sac|sacs michael kors|michaelkorssacs.bligoo.fr|home |about|homepage}|{ sac a main michael kors|sac michael kors|michael kors sac|sacs michael kors|michaelkorssacs.bligoo.fr|home |about|homepage}} http://michaelkorssacs.bligoo.fr are {filled with|full of|filled up with|stuffed with|loaded with|packed with|containing|brimming with} indigo, vermilion, light {brown|dark brown|brownish|darkish|brown leafy|brown lightly|red|dark}, white {and|as well as|and also|along with|in addition to|plus|together with|and even} bright {sunny|sun-drenched|sunlit|warm|inviting|brigh t} yellow color. Longchamp {bags|totes|hand bags|luggage|carriers|baggage|sacks |plastic bags} D {series|sequence|collection|string| line|set|range|chain} is inspired {by the|through the|from the|with the|because of the|by|by way of the|via the} architectural style {in the|within the|inside the|inside|from the|while in the|during the|with the} spring {of|associated with|regarding|involving|connected with|with|for|in} 2013 {to|in order to|to be able to|for you to|to help|so that you can|that will|to help you} champ {{longchamp pliage tote|longchamp le pliage|longchamp pliage bag|longchamp bags|bags longchamp uk|longchamppliage.ucoz.co.uk|home| about|homepage}|{longchamp pliage tote|longchamp le pliage|longchamp pliage bag|longchamp bags|bags longchamp uk|longchamppliage.ucoz.co.uk|home| about|homepage}|{longchamp pliage tote|longchamp le pliage|longchamp pliage bag|longchamp bags|bags longchamp uk|longchamppliage.ucoz.co.uk|home| about|homepage}|{longchamp pliage tote|longchamp le pliage|longchamp pliage bag|longchamp bags|bags longchamp uk|longchamppliage.ucoz.co.uk|home| about|homepage}}, http://longchamppliage.ucoz.co.uk, {In the|Within the|Inside the|Inside|From the|While in the|During the|With the} the {{isabel marant chaussures|basket compensée isabel marant|isabelle marant chaussures|isabel marant baskets|isabel-marant-baskets9.webnode.fr|home|about|home page}|{isabel marant chaussures|basket compensée isabel marant|isabelle marant chaussures|isabel marant baskets|isabel-marant-baskets9.webnode.fr|home|about|home page}|{isabel marant chaussures|basket compensée isabel marant|isabelle marant chaussures|isabel marant baskets|isabel-marant-baskets9.webnode.fr|home|about|home page}|{isabel marant chaussures|basket compensée isabel marant|isabelle marant chaussures|isabel marant baskets|isabel-marant-baskets9.webnode.fr|home|about|home page}} (http://isabel-marant-baskets9.webnode.fr){high heels|high heel shoes|high heel pumps|women's high heel sandals|ladies high heel sandals|high heel dress shoes|stiletto heel shoes|high heel slides} to {come out|emerge|turn out|appear|end up|show up|turn up|surface. {How To|How You Can|The Best Way To|The Way To|Tips On How To|Ways To|A Way To|Methods To|Easy Methods To|Learn How To|Tips To|Simple Methods To|Proven Methods To|Best Ways To|Method To|Strategy To|Ideal Way To|Solution To|Very Best Way To|How Can I} {Find|Discover|Locate|Uncover|Come Across|Obtain} {{bcbg dresses|bcbg canada|bcbg max azria|bcbg dresses canada|bcbgmaxazria|bcbgdresses.ca| more|site|home}|{bcbg dresses|bcbg canada|bcbg max azria|bcbg dresses canada|bcbgmaxazria|bcbgmaxazria dresses}|{bcbg dresses|bcbg canada|bcbg max azria|bcbg dresses canada|bcbgmaxazria|bcbgmaxazria dresses}} {The Best|The Very Best|The Most Effective|The Top|The Ideal|The Most Beneficial} dresses sale {Deals|Offers|Bargains|Discounts|Sa vings} {On The Web|On The Net|Online|On The Internet|On-Line|On Line|Using The Web|On Search Engines|Through The Web|Via Internet} {{bcbg dresses|bcbg canada|bcbg max azria|bcbg dresses canada|bcbgmaxazria|bcbgdresses.ca| more|site|home|bcbg outlet}|{bcbg dresses|bcbg canada|bcbg outlet|bcbg dresses canada|bcbgmaxazria|bcbgmaxazria dresses}|{bcbg dresses|bcbg canada|bcbg max azria|bcbg dresses canada|bcbgmaxazria|bcbgmaxazria dresses}|{bcbg dresses|bcbg canada|bcbg prom dresses|bcbg dresses canada|bcbgmaxazria|bcbgmaxazria dresses}} 2013. {Nevertheless|Nonetheless} {there's also a|gleam} {way to|method to} {yield|deliver} {things|points} {slightly|somewhat} {cheaper|less expensive} {when you|whenever you} {acquire|obtain} {{magasin guess|guess solde|guess 2013|magasinguesssoldes.webnode.fr| home|about}|{guess solde|guess 2013|soldes guess femme}|{soldes guess femme|guess pas chère|sacs guess}} pre {owned|possessed} {or|or even} {in a|inside a} {secondhand|used} {or|or even} {second hand|used} {condition|situation}. {Such as|For example} {when you|whenever you} {acquire a|get a} {nearly|almost} {new|brand new} {ipad|apple ipad}. {You can|You are able to} {retain|keep} {hard cash|income} {acquiring|obtaining} {secondhand|used} {as the|since the} {asking price|selling price} {will|may} {most certainly|most definitely} {be|end up being} {lowered|decreased} {and|as well as} {sometimes|occasionally} {at a|in a} {very reasonable|affordable} {toll|cost}. {The same|Exactly the same} {apple ipad|ipad} {that can be|that may be} {purchased|bought} {{monster beats|Beats By Dre |beats by dre dre|bybeatsdrdre.weebly.com|home|ab out}|{monster beats|Beats By Dre |beats by dre dre}|{beats by dre dre|beats by dre uk|beats by dre headphones}} {from a|from the} {major|main} {merchant|vendor} {or|or even} {ipad|apple ipad} {reseller|merchant} {can often be|is often} {purchased|bought} {on line|online} {from a|from the} {distinguishing|differentiating} {vendor|merchant} {or|or even} independant {Apple ipad|Ipad} {vendor|merchant} {for a|for any} {portion of|part of} {the|the actual} {closing|shutting} {price|cost} {you would|you'd} {pay|spend} {so|therefore} {large|big} {finances|financial situation} {offers|provides} {to be had|available}.
09:46 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 28 Years Old
Should be reading journals so I can actually get into a Grad school but instead I'm on AP.

Yep.
haha I should be analyzing data but here I am. What sort of journals?
06:54 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
xxemo_kittyxx
meow.
Brisbane, Australia
Female - 24 Years Old
haha I should be analyzing data but here I am. What sort of journals?

Some Social Psych ones to read for an assignment for one of my courses. It takes me forever to get through Social Psych journals, they can spend pages trying to explain some complex model and spend another five more trying to test it. Definitely not a fan.
03:03 PM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 28 Years Old
And I should be writing code, but here I am.
A buddy of mine suggested this website lunda.com for learning code. Ever use it?
03:04 PM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 28 Years Old
Some Social Psych ones to read for an assignment for one of my courses. It takes me forever to get through Social Psych journals, they can spend pages trying to explain some complex model and spend another five more trying to test it. Definitely not a fan.
Oh god social science papers are a theoretical mind fuck. Better know your stats inside out.
08:36 AM on 03/23/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 28 Years Old
Never heard of it, though when I went to it, it didn't seem to have anything to do with programming.
sorry, lynda.com.
07:52 PM on 03/27/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 28 Years Old
Don't know that one either, though I don't really keep track of such things. Having learned all my fundamentals in college, I don't know how easy it would be to learn online (it certainly wouldn't be good for me, I don't learn well that way).

Edit: MIT's Open Courseware (or whatever it's called) would probably be my first choice for online learning. Choose their intro programming class (I think it's in Python, which is relatively easy to learn [compared to something like C++]) and you'd have all the materials.
ya python is really user friendly though it might be slightly limited in terms of libraries I can use. I just got a hold of matlab so I might chip away at that during my free time. MIT's OCW is amazing and there're tons of free lectures streamable on youtube these days.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos