Username
Password

01:26 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
Ponyboy
i'm stayin gold
New Jersey
Male - 25 Years Old
Hey guys so it looks like I may be moving to Madison Wisconsin this summer in a couple months. An opportunity to move there with my girlfriend has presented itself and it seems a good move. She has a family house passed onto her and the only monthly costs will be utilities and such. With that said, I'm from NJ (right near nyc) and it's going to be a big change. Is anyone from the area that can let me know how it is there? Any advice on the area would be appreciated. Going to visit the house and clean it up a bit in a month or two so i'll get a feel for the area then and know if I definitely want to move but anything you can tell me would be appreciated. The culture, food, music scene, workforce, ect. Thanks.
01:43 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old

Feel like helping this guy out?
02:02 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
Hey guys so it looks like I may be moving to Madison Wisconsin this summer in a couple months. An opportunity to move there with my girlfriend has presented itself and it seems a good move. She has a family house passed onto her and the only monthly costs will be utilities and such. With that said, I'm from NJ (right near nyc) and it's going to be a big change. Is anyone from the area that can let me know how it is there? Any advice on the area would be appreciated. Going to visit the house and clean it up a bit in a month or two so i'll get a feel for the area then and know if I definitely want to move but anything you can tell me would be appreciated. The culture, food, music scene, workforce, ect. Thanks.

I go to the university, where about will you be living/working?
02:20 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
Ponyboy
i'm stayin gold
New Jersey
Male - 25 Years Old

Not too far off of the Campus. I'm going to try to relocate from the job i'm at now (UPS) while ultimately trying to get into the Universities security. Graduated last year with a Criminal Justice degree so I figured that's a good option.
02:23 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
Ponyboy
i'm stayin gold
New Jersey
Male - 25 Years Old

The neighborhood is Sunset Village?
02:31 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
First off, I've never been here during the summer (this year will be my first one) so this is all second hand knowledge. But campus itself is usually pretty dead during the summer besides a few summer classes, professors staying for research, and construction. That being said, State Street/Capital Square area is pretty much your go-to place. Just down the street from campus and on an isthmus between two lakes, lots of retail, museums/art gallery's, a few venues, lots of bars. Memorial Union and Monona Terraces are supposed to be great places to grab a pitcher during during the day if that's your thing. So if you're near campus all that should be pretty accessible.

I think your plan to kind of scope out the place next month or whenever is a good idea. Depending on when you're here you might get a really good glimpse of Madison at its best, right at the beginning of summer. I've spent all of one week in the NY/NJ area so I don't really know what it's like, but Madison is a passable small- to mid-sized city, especially if you're in your twenties.

Edit: That's a little bit off campus, a few miles, but in the right direction as far as nice residential goes. Sorry to say I can't give specifics for that area as far as things to do go. On the plus side, Madison is a great city for biking if that's your thing.
03:11 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
Ponyboy
i'm stayin gold
New Jersey
Male - 25 Years Old
First off, I've never been here during the summer (this year will be my first one) so this is all second hand knowledge. But campus itself is usually pretty dead during the summer besides a few summer classes, professors staying for research, and construction. That being said, State Street/Capital Square area is pretty much your go-to place. Just down the street from campus and on an isthmus between two lakes, lots of retail, museums/art gallery's, a few venues, lots of bars. Memorial Union and Monona Terraces are supposed to be great places to grab a pitcher during during the day if that's your thing. So if you're near campus all that should be pretty accessible.

I think your plan to kind of scope out the place next month or whenever is a good idea. Depending on when you're here you might get a really good glimpse of Madison at its best, right at the beginning of summer. I've spent all of one week in the NY/NJ area so I don't really know what it's like, but Madison is a passable small- to mid-sized city, especially if you're in your twenties.

Edit: That's a little bit off campus, a few miles, but in the right direction as far as nice residential goes. Sorry to say I can't give specifics for that area as far as things to do go. On the plus side, Madison is a great city for biking if that's your thing.
Thanks for the information! Yeah i've been looking at the property in the area and it looks nice. As far as work goes I would think with students for the summer leaving a decent amount of jobs would open up while I look for something more permanent. I'll check out the capital square area when i'm there. Although I love the big city I could definitely go for a change of pace. I think Madison still being a city will make it not too drastic of a change but just enough for what i'm looking for. Thanks again. I'll let ya know when i'm there. We'll grab a beer.
06:25 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
dontsneeze
Male - 29 Years Old
I grew up 20 minutes from Madison, and I've spent a lot of time there. I'm currently living overseas, but I'm moving back to the Madison sometime in October and I can't wait.

State Street is a fun place, and there are tons of great restaurants and bars. Most bands hit up Milwaukee, which is easy enough to drive to and back in a night, and you'll be able to catch some really cool smaller venue shows occasionally. Make sure to hit up Summerfest (again, Milwaukee) in the summer!

Also, the microbrews available in Wisconsin are fantastic. Madison has Ale Asylum, which brews my favorite beer (Bedlam!), but there are tons of others from around the state (definitely check out Central Waters as well.)

I'm getting excited just thinking about it. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions!
10:38 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
KingOfSpain
Goon Squad for Life
Chicago, IL
Male - 22 Years Old
State Street rules. They've got a couple good record stores there, as well as an art museum and a bunch of killer restaurants and coffeeshops.

The capital square has a huge farmer's market every Saturday during the summer, if that's your thing. Lots of local vendors and street performers show up there. It's always a good time.

As far as the music scene, there's only a couple venues. Apart from the Alliant Energy Center, which hosts some smaller arean shows on occasion, Majestic is the biggest club. The Loft is a tiny youth center that hosts some pretty cool shows sometimes (I saw ETID there in December). The only downside is that it's a dry venue. High Noon Saloon usually gets some good artists, but I've never been there. The Barrymore and The Orpheum are alright too.

And like the guy above me said, Milwaukee attracts a lot of artists, and it's a quick drive. Definitely hit up Summerfest — eleven days, about 8 stages plus an amphitheater, some killer headliners (MGMT, YYY, Imagine Dragons, Fun. and John Mayer in the amphitheater) all for about $15 admission (even less if you show up before 3:00).

I don't know a ton about the workforce. There's a pretty decent focus on supporting the local economy and crud like that. Trek Bikes are headquartered there.

Madison's easily one of my favorite cities. I go to school just outside of Chicago and live an hour from Madison in the summer, and if an opportunity presented itself to me, I'd relocate in a heartbeat. Best of luck!
06:15 AM on 04/17/13 
User Info.
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
Madison, WI
Male - 24 Years Old
Grew up in Madison and lived there for my whole life pretty much. It's a great city.
07:08 AM on 04/17/13 
User Info.
danTHEman32
chicago
Male - 23 Years Old
Madison is a vastly underrated city. Lots of young people, lots of bike trails/scenic areas, some cool bars/nightlife. I dig Madison. Biggest downfall to Madison is that it is in the state of Wisconsin where you will have to deal with bullshit Packer fans. It is annoying. I go to school in Eau Claire, WI
07:14 AM on 04/17/13 
User Info.
Ponyboy
i'm stayin gold
New Jersey
Male - 25 Years Old
Thanks for all the information everyone. Getting a little bit more excited for the move now. Sounds like a great city. Also sounds like my first purchase will be a new bike haha
07:15 AM on 04/17/13 
User Info.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
JAPAAAAAN.
Female - 23 Years Old
Madison is a vastly underrated city. Lots of young people, lots of bike trails/scenic areas, some cool bars/nightlife. I dig Madison. Biggest downfall to Madison is that it is in the state of Wisconsin where you will have to deal with bullshit Packer fans. It is annoying. I go to school in Eau Claire, WI

^^ this.

It's also pretty close to Milwaukee, Chicago and Minneapolis...if you like going to shows.
07:24 AM on 04/17/13 
User Info.
dontsneeze
Male - 29 Years Old

This guy is correct about everything except for the Packers part. He doesn't know what he's talking about there.
07:34 AM on 04/17/13 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
I mean, as a Packer fan I can admit that sometimes other Packer fans feel a bit entitled/butthurt when in all reality, we're pretty lucky as far as sports fans go. That being said, they're no worse than some fans of other teams that I know.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos