AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Sports News
Have a news tip? Submit news.
Sports

First Active NBA Athlete Comes Out

Posted by: Drew Beringer (04/29/13)
NBA free agent Jason Collins has come out as the first openly gay athlete in the four major U.S sports.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 61
09:00 AM on 04/29/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Major congrats to Jason Collins. It'll be a fantastic day when stuff like this isn't major news, but kudos for Jason for taking the first steps to that happening today.
09:00 AM on 04/29/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
Big day, echoing what Drew said this shouldn't even be news but it is. We'll get there eventually.
09:04 AM on 04/29/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Very well written, and yeah, I agree with both comments above me.
09:09 AM on 04/29/13
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
I was going to say who really cares but Drew did it already. Good for him and I hope to God the media doesn't report every athlete coming out.
09:09 AM on 04/29/13
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
good for him!
09:11 AM on 04/29/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good for him - granted, I wish this wasn't headline news. Not to detract from his announcement, but the real social experiment will be when a Top 20 player or a franchise cornerstone comes out.
09:14 AM on 04/29/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
Oh look, a website where half the comments aren't homophobic abuse towards the guy or people trying to say that being gay is a choice, I think I'll stay here.

I will never understand how some straight men think they can declare that being gay is a choice.
09:15 AM on 04/29/13
Fame<Infamy
gonna bang bang fuck you up
User Info.
Wait, what? Happy for the guy and all that, but it's 2013 and there's only one openly gay man playing professional basketball in America? Damn.
09:15 AM on 04/29/13
dannylololol
Stay Hungry. Stay Free.
User Info.
Props
09:16 AM on 04/29/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh look, a website where half the comments aren't homophobic abuse towards the guy or people trying to say that being gay is a choice, I think I'll stay here.

Our community has its fair share of ignorance, but when it comes to sexual orientation/preference, we're easily one of the most accepting I've seen online. The overwhelming support for Laura Jane Grace definitely is a prime example.
09:18 AM on 04/29/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wait, what? Happy for the guy and all that, but it's 2013 and there's only one openly gay man playing professional basketball in America? Damn.
Former Jazz center John Amaechi came out after his basketball career and wrote a book about his experiences dealing with homophobia, but no active pro athletes have ever come out.
09:18 AM on 04/29/13
phillycheese37
I'll be back around
User Info.
I was wondering when something like this would happen. Hopefully this encourages other athletes to come out as well.
09:22 AM on 04/29/13
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
Our community has its fair share of ignorance, but when it comes to sexual orientation/preference, we're easily one of the most accepting I've seen online. The overwhelming support for Laura Jane Grace definitely is a prime example.
das rite.

I'm so happy Frank Lidz co-wrote this article. He's an amazing man and an amazing journalist, and the trademark simplicity of this piece is what's going to make it iconic.
09:22 AM on 04/29/13
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
A major step forward. Great article, too.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos