AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Round-Up News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Australian Music Round-Up (05/04/13)

Posted by - 09:13 PM on 05/04/13
Head to the replies to read this week's Australian Music Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
09:13 PM on 05/04/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Australian Music Round-UpNews:

- Melbourne singer-songwriter Vance Joy has signed to Atlantic Records

- Listen to Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds new song "Animal X" here

- Lyon Apprentice is an Australian duo made up of two brothers Adam and Nathan. They travelled to Cairns to record their debut EP with Mark Myers, who has worked with other artists such as The Middle East and Emma Louise. Their EP is due out sometime in 2013. In the meantime, please check out this EP teaser

- The Occupants (ex-Cog) have released their new song “I’ve Been Thinking”. The band has been in the studio with Forrester Savell. You can hear the song here.

- Melbourne pop-rock bandThe Bellastrades has released a new single from their self-titled EP which came out last year. They’ve also got a show at The Evelyn Hotel in Fitzroy on Sunday 19th of May. More details here.

- Something with Numbers (Jake Grigg from Maniac’s original band) will release their new album Eleven Eleven on May 10. They recently released a new single ‘Wild One’ which you can buy on iTunes. You can pre-order the album from JB Hi-Fi.

- The Nation Blue’s debut album A Blueprint For Modern Noise will see a reissue on vinyl by Poison City Records. The tracks will be remastered at New York's West West Side Studios and will see release as a double LP in August. The album was originally released in 2001 through Trial And Error Records.

- Brisbane’s Marathon have announced they are currently working on their debut album. The album, which carries the title of Cure is being recorded at Sun Distortion Studios in Brisbane with Chris Brownbill (Idylls) behind the boards. The band last released the I’ll Never Look At You The Same Way 7” in 2012 through Midnight Funeral Records.

- Sydney three-piece Yes I’m Leaving have announced their third album Mission Bulb. The album will be released on May 22 through Tenzenmen Records and is the follow-up to 2012’s Nothing. Listen to Song For You here

- Pee Records will release the debut solo EP from The Decline bassist/vocalist Dan Cribb, The Memories Last. The acoustic tinged EP also features instrumental and vocal contributions from Nick Diener of The Swellers and is slated for a release in July with pre-orders available soon.

- Hobbledehoy Records will be releasing an exclusive AUS/NZ-only LP pressing of Owen’s new album L’Ami du Peuple in a choice of yellow or black vinyl. The album has a release date of July 22.

- Gay Paris have released a video for their track "Ash Wednesday Boudoir Party". The band are currently on tour in support of their recently released sophomore album The Last Good Party.

- The Amity Affliction have released a video for their track 'Open Letter'. The band's most recent album Chasing Ghosts has also been certified gold in sales.

- Melbourne hardcore band Outsiders Code will release their debut album Exiled From Birth on June 7 through Resist Records. The band contains members of 50 Lions, Her Nightmare and Hopeless.

- Jen Buxton has released an EP Desperation Demos for $3 on Bandcamp.

The Australian Music Charts:

- Phoenix has shot into the #5 slot on the ARIA Charts, and following Chrissy Amphlett's death, The Divinyls greatest hits album, The Essentials has claimed #14. Fall Out Boy's Save Rock and Roll has slid 13 places to #15 and Paramore's self titled has fallen out of the top 50 completely.

- View the full charts here.

Tours:

- Tour promoter AJ Maddah has announced the Australian Warped Tour dates.

- Tonight Alive have officially sold out all shows of their homecoming run with Sydney being the latest to sell out. Originally slated to support were Brisbane's Milestones who have had to pull out of the shows due to financial difficulties. They will be replaced by Melbourne's A Sleepless Melody.

- The first acts for The Weekender '13 have been announced. The three day festival will take place in Melbourne on September 6, 7 and 8 and will be headed up by The Smith Street Band, Joyce Manor and Cheap Girls. Also appearing will be Blueline Medic, The Nation Blue, Cory Branan, Hoodlum Shouts and Jen Buxton among others with more acts still to be announced. Tickets go on sale May 10.

- Frenzal Rhomb has announced West Australian and South Australian tour dates:

MAY
15th – Prince Of Wales, Bunbury [18+]
16th – Players, Mandurah [18+]
17th – Indi Bar, Scarborough [18+]
18th – Rosemount Hotel, Perth [18+]
JUNE
21st – Unibar, Adelaide [18+]
22nd – Shadows, Mt Gambier [18+]

Ticket information available shortly.

- Make Believe Me will be joining Funeral For a Friend on the Bunbury date of their Australian tour.

- Tenacious D has had a change of support act. Barry Morgan will no longer be able to do the tour and has been replaced by comedian Damien Power. Sasquatch will still be opening on all dates and tickets are still available in all cities.

- Volumes has announced an Australian tour.

SEPTEMBER
4th – Amplifier Bar, Perth [18+]
5th – YMCA HQ. Leederville [AA]
6th – Fowlers Live, Adelaide [Lic/AA]
7th – OLP, Ringwood [AA]
8th – Evelyn Hotel. Fitzroy [18+]
10th – The Basement, Canberra [18+]
11th – Oasis Youth Centre, Wyong [AA]
12th – Crowbar, Brisbane [18+]
13th – Eagleby Community Hall, Brisbane [AA]
14th – Bald Faced Stag, Sydney [Lic/AA]
15th – The Vault, Newcastle [AA]

- Splendour On The Grass tickets are on sale now. All information you need is here. And tickets are available here.

- Cyndi Lauper has announced an Australian tour

- Vanna will be playing a run of headlining shows with supports from Storm The Sky and Sierra.

08/05 Karova Lounge, Ballarat [18+]
09/05 Barwon Club, Geelong [18+]
10/05 Beez Neez, Frankston [18+]*
11/05 Bang Nightclub, Melbourne [18+]
12/05 Wrangler Studios, Melbourne [AA]
15/05 The Basement, Canberra [18+]
16/05 Annandale Hotel, Sydney [18+]
17/05 The Entrance Leagues, Central Coast [18+]
18/05 Crowbar, Brisbane [18+]
19/05 Expressive Grounds, Gold Coast [AA]
*Sierra not appearing.

- Newcastle’s Postal will be embarking on a national tour in June/July in support of their upcoming 4-way split release with Bison, Aids and Disparo. Accompanying them on the tour will be fellow Novocastrians Tired Minds who released their self-titled EP in late 2012 through Break Bend Records.

28/06 Blackwire Records, Sydney [AA]
29/06 Barcode, Wollongong [18+]
30/06 Sohier Park Community Hall, Central Coast [AA]
04/07 Surfers Paradise Beergarden, Gold Coast [18+] *
05/07 Rhys’ House, Sunshine Coast [AA] *
06/07 The Dungeon, Brisbane [AA - Afternoon]
06/07 Empire Studios, Brisbane [AA - Night]
07/07 The 140, Grafton [AA]
08/07 Venue TBA, Canberra
09/07 Music Man Megastore, Bendigo [AA]
11/07 Squatters Arms, Adelaide [18+]
12/07 Gasometer, Collingwood [18+]
13/07 Public Bar, Melbourne [18+]
14/07 Beach House Show, Geelong [AA]
17/07 Cambridge Hotel, Newcastle [18+]
*Tired Minds not appearing.

- Vigilante are celebrating the release of their debut EP Quality Of Life with two Sydney launch shows in late May. They’ll be supported on both shows by Melbourne bands Reincarnation and Iron Mind plus local openers on each. A donation of 25% of all door receipts will also be given to Sydney charity The Station Ltd thestationltd.org. Quality Of Life is available on 12″ vinyl and CD now through Resist Records.

25/05 Hermann’s Bar [18+] w/ Boneless and Mood Swing
26/05 Chatswood Youth Centre [AA] w/ Civil War and Death Toll

- Adelaide’s Robotosaurus and Wollongong’s Totally Unicorn have teamed up for a split 7” entitled Together Alone, soon to be released through Monolith Records. The bands will be embarking on an exclusive run of June shows in support:

07/06 The Standard, Sydney [18+]
08/06 Crowbar, Brisbane [18+]
21/06 Animal House, Adelaide [AA]
22/06 The Reverence, Melbourne [18+]

Robotosaurus’ last release was 2010’s split with the now sadly defunct Coerce, while Totally Unicorn last treated us to a dick-shaped vinyl in 2012 titled, appropriately enough, 7inches.

- Andrew Stockdale (ex-Wolfmother) has announced an Australian tour. All the details needed are on his website.

- Tickets to see Youth Of Today can now be bought.

- Parkway Drive have added a second Perth date to their Australian tour after the first Perth date sold out.

Music Video of the Week::

- Brisbane rockers Dollarosa have premiered the video for their new single “Create/Destroy”. The video was directed by David Blackley and the song notably features guest vocals from Story Of The Year’s Dan Marsala.

If you have news you'd like to submit, please send to geology.rocks.sam@gmail.com

Contributor:

Geology Rocks! and Ben
10:08 PM on 05/04/13
loopyb92
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Dollarosa deserve big things
12:04 AM on 05/05/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
I'm unsure of his username, but Ben submitted quite a bit. I feel like he submitted enough that you should credit this to him as well as myself.
04:02 AM on 05/05/13
woodmic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Apart From This release In Gloom this week.
05:20 AM on 05/05/13
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
Coerce aren't broken up.

Also, the Weekender looks awesome. Would love to see The Smith Street Band and The Nation Blue, two of my favourites.
05:58 AM on 05/05/13
xxemo_kittyxx
meow.
User Info.
Dollarosa deserve big things
They're a friend's friend's band and I've heard good things about them.
06:35 AM on 05/05/13
jings
User Info.
really hanging out for that Warped line up!!
06:45 AM on 05/05/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
Coerce aren't broken up.

I'll let Ben know. He submitted the news piece.
03:07 PM on 05/05/13
BennyNova
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Coerce aren't broken up.

Also, the Weekender looks awesome. Would love to see The Smith Street Band and The Nation Blue, two of my favourites.

They were on hiatus when I submitted the news piece actually. Coerce played a "last show" before hiatus in Melbourne recently to support their last 10" record. In the last week though they were announced to be playing two of the Robotosaurus / Totally Unicorn shows so I guess it didn't stick or the bands convinced them otherwise.

This was the original announcement so they were definitely on a break: http://www.chuckingamosh.com/2012/12/15/coerce-announce-record-launch-hiatus/
04:46 PM on 05/05/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Great roundup! Also, only a fortnight until Gaslight Anthem tours!
05:33 PM on 05/05/13
katietheskatie
walking on a wire on the ground
User Info.
looks like paramore are at #11 on the charts unless i'm reading it wrong. would be surprised if they had fallen so far out the chart considering 'still into you' is everywhere.

also didn't know something with numbers were still a thing. awesome.
07:18 PM on 05/05/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
looks like paramore are at #11 on the charts
Oh wow. I AM BLIND.

Originally Posted by Deborah Remus
Can you change the charts section to say this please?

"Phoenix has shot into the #5 slot on the ARIA Charts, and following Chrissy Amphlett's death, The Divinyls greatest hits album, The Essentials has claimed #14. Fall Out Boy's Save Rock and Roll has slid 13 places to #15 and Paramore's self titled is sitting pretty at #11"
03:50 AM on 05/08/13
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
Top stuff again guys. Always good to see what is happening back home. I'm missing out on some great stuff.

Really stoked for new Numbers.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version