Password

Album Review

Audiostrobelight - What You're Running From Album Cover

Audiostrobelight - What You're Running From

Reviewed by
AudiostrobelightWhat You’re Running From
Record Label: Little Hearts Records
Release Date: May 14, 2013
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Armed with a heavy synth feel and the help of Cartel’s Will Pugh behind production, Audiostrobelight will cater to fans of Forever The Sickest Kids musically and You, Me, And Everyone We Know vocally. Having already shared the stage with everyone from Fall Out Boy to The Academy Is to Cobra Starship, these guys have already made a nice name for themselves, but What You’re Running From is sure to cover even more ground.

After the piano-led intro of “Last Summer,” the title track is the first true taste of the band’s sound – a synth-led sound with bouncy vocals. In fact, the layering works best when coupled with the powerful vocal lead. When vocalist Kris Lynch sings, “For all the meaningless tirades / Over earth’s greatest highways / For all the messes we make,” the guitars kick in and the drums pound in the background, making sure the words hit home. Single “California Gold Rush” has a more rock feel thanks to Gabe Dyson taking the lead early on, but when Dyson and Lynch start trading off vocals the track picks up through the chorus, the track screams The Years Gone By. You’ll be repeating the word “California” throughout the song, as it’s easily the best cut on the record.

An unexpected violin makes its way into “It’s About To Get Real,” showing yet another diverse side of the band, as Lynch and Dyson sing with sharp tongues and pick up the pace. The synth sneaks in and quickens the speed even more. However, once it slows down as the guys sing, “You left note on my nightstand,” the violin takes over again, showing Audiostrobelight can sure pack a lot in to three minutes. The pace goes from breakneck to mellow violin in an instant, showing the skill of the band to change tempo just like that. In terms of songs that could be huge, “Divisions” takes the cake here, with the one-liner “She doesn’t want the boy in boyfriend / Just the man in romance” putting witty smirk on your face.

If you’re looking for some upbeat, damn fun pop tunes to pump through your car stereo this summer, throw on What You’re Running From. Between the vocal playoffs of Lynch and Dyson, unexpected violin and mandolin of Adam Cohen, Ed Camacho’s guitar work, and Scott Denham’s tempo-setting drumming, Audiostrobelight are a band to watch out for. Not to mention Will Pugh’s production deserves every compliment.

7/10

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
09:46 AM on 05/14/13
DeviateRogue
Valar Morghulis
User Info.
Actually reminds me more of Yellowcard than Forever The Sickest Kids.
02:31 PM on 05/14/13
imchriswalken
Lesser human by post count
User Info.
What's so unexpected violin and mandolin? Just because he's super buried in the mix on this release?
09:31 PM on 05/14/13
kskillzz
User Info.
You guys drew me in to listen to the stream with the RIYLs, and I like what I hear. Nothing really blew me away on the album but I really like their style and will be keeping up with everything they do in the future.
08:14 PM on 05/17/13
tee5150ii
lifeboat!
User Info.
Word! Good to see some 757 heads getting some attention.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos