AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heart Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.34
Musicianship 9.34
Lyrics 9.38
Production 9.19
Creativity 8.94
Lasting Value 9.06
Reviewer Tilt 9.44
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heart

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (06/02/13)
Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heart
Record Label: Interscope Records / Xtra Mile Recordings
Release Date: April 22, 2013

"It was a wonderful life when we were together, and now I’ve fucked up every little god damn thing." - Plain Sailing Weather

Frank Turner has won the adoration of his fans by delivering bluntly truthful, accessible and quotable lyricism alongside simple songwriting. There isn’t anything to delve into on a Frank Turner record further than his expectedly brilliant storytelling, and there’s nothing wrong with that. That’s exactly what we’re here for.

Tape Deck Heart sees Turner and his band, The Sleeping Souls, expanding upon their specialties and contributing a record that offers both upbeat tracks with punk backbones and slower numbers that often feature Turner accompanied by a lone acoustic guitar.

The end result includes multiple feel-good tracks that will make their way onto summer playlists - lead single “Recovery” and following focus tracks “The Way I Tend To Be” and “Plain Sailing Weather” define what so many people yearn for in Turner’s music. These tracks can match up with the best of Turner’s growing back catalog, but Tape Deck Heart isn’t a top-loaded record; rather, it stands out for its remarkable consistency.

"Somebody told me that music with guitars was going out of fashion and I had to laugh / This shit wasn’t fashionable when I fell in love / If the hipsters move on, why should I give a fuck?" - Four Simple Words

Turner pairs songs together in this tracklisting like an art. “Tell Tale Signs” is one of the slowest numbers, an emotive and intimate song about being used, being hurt and covering scars with tattoos. On the complete opposite end of the spectrum is the next track, “Four Simple Words,” which starts slow but explodes into a rocking and rolling rhythm, praising the purest reasons for falling in love with music. Turner uses the refrain of “I want to dance” while weaving anecdotes about his own love affair with punk rock.

A big advantage of Turner’s simple songwriting is that the man is nothing short of a machine. Accompanying Tape Deck Heart’s 12-song tracklisting is essentially another half of a record in the form of bonus songs. Hell, in one of those tracks - “Cowboy Chords” - Turner admits to his own “simple song” tendencies.

You can call these “bonuses” if you want, but these songs blend in just fine with the album’s core runtime. Eighteen songs is a lot to digest, but many fan favorites will come out of this additional music. The toe-tapping “We Shall Not Overcome” feels like it could have been the leadoff single as easily as “Recovery” was, with Turner at his most quotable in the hand-clapping chorus: “The bands I like, they don’t sell too many records / And the girls I like, they don’t kiss too many boys / The books I read will never be best-sellers / But c’mon fellas, at least we made our choice.” This is a song that should turn into a romping presence at live shows, a tune that will last as long as anything in Turner’s catalog. The rollicking “Time Machine” is a dancey number that also stands out among the extra songs.

“Tattoos” is a Turner specialty: Just him and an acoustic guitar. It’s an anthem for the inked, with a line that will be appreciated by a very select demographic (but a demographic that may just make up a majority of Turner’s fanbase): “If we had the luck to live our lives a second time through, we’d be sure to get the same tattoos.”

"We're all awkward understudies wearing comfortable shoes getting comfortable with doing it wrong" - We Shall Not Overcome

At the end of the day, I can write plenty of nice words about Frank Turner - but the point to take home is that he’s one of the most consistent songwriters currently producing music. Tape Deck Heart may not be quite as good as the phenomenal England Keep My Bones, but it’s a quality release with excellent lasting value that will be a mainstay on album of the year lists in 2013. It’s jubilant singer/songwriter rock and roll that can be enjoyed by young punk fans and their parents, which speaks volumes about Turner’s reach and continued potential.

With the combination of his stellar 2012 - the Wembley show that turned into a live DVD, his performance at the Olympics, his signing to a major U.S. label and consistently smart touring choices - and a quality 2013 full-length to support, Turner is showing that he has the wits about him to be among the top international musicians for years down the road.

8.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 43.
08:29 PM on 06/02/13
Sean.Murphy
Stay Hungry, Stay Free
User Info.
awesome review. good work!
04:11 AM on 06/03/13
SuperSharkWeek
Don't hate, just appreciate.
User Info.
Favorite album so far this year. Very good review. Frank always does amazing work.
06:12 AM on 06/03/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
Am I the only one who likes this more than England Keep My Bones?
07:14 AM on 06/03/13
jpd19125
Screw Flanders
User Info.
his second best album next to Love Ire and Song. was kinda lukewarm on the last two but i love this one. hopefully he plays gene simmons this week in philly.
07:34 AM on 06/03/13
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
good review and I think the rating is accurate as well. And I agree with everything that you've written in it.

I think the record only having 12 songs is a waste. I think that at least We Shall Not Overcome, Tattoos and Undeveloped Film shouldn't have been left out. It's still a great album though
07:38 AM on 06/03/13
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.
"Recovery" is such a great song, and hearing it on the radio is what introduced me to Frank Turner. This review has me very interested, will be sure to check this out.
08:40 AM on 06/03/13
creativemind
every planet we reach is dead
User Info.
Nope, I think this record is much better. Frank Turner's best record since Love Ire & Song.

his second best album next to Love Ire and Song. was kinda lukewarm on the last two but i love this one. hopefully he plays gene simmons this week in philly.
Agree 100 %.
08:58 AM on 06/03/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I think England Keep My Bones is his top - followed by Love Ire and Song and then this one.
09:20 AM on 06/03/13
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
not at all.
09:59 AM on 06/03/13
ffadam
Heaven Sent
User Info.
The Way I Tend to Be is a feel-good jam?
10:09 AM on 06/03/13
ale5875
primusliber-traduzioni.tumblr.com
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a great album. I had never heard any song from him before, but I'll definitely check his previous work out.
10:57 AM on 06/03/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
I remember when this first came out, everyone was saying how it's not as good as ELMB. Now it's clear that I'm not the only one who thinks that TDH is better.
11:11 AM on 06/03/13
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
The Way I Tend To Be and Telltale Signs are two of Franks best songs yet in my opinion. I absolutely adore them, and the album is great.
11:56 AM on 06/03/13
Sean.Murphy
Stay Hungry, Stay Free
User Info.
I think England Keep My Bones is his top - followed by Love Ire and Song and then this one.

agreed 100% EKMB is completely flawless IMO
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums