AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Jack's Indigo - 06.24.13

Jack's Indigo - 06.24.13

Interviewed by
Jack's Indigo - 06.24.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Jackís Indigo

www.JacksIndigo.com
www.Facebook.com/Jacksindigo
www.Jacksindigo.bandcamp.com
www.Reverbnation.com/jacksindigo

1. How did you get your band name?

Iíve always been a fan of shitty band names. When youíre with your friends having random conversations about nothing and suddenly two words just roll off your tongue beautifully and suddenly everyone thinks, ďThatís a great band nameĒ. Thatís exactly what happened with Jackís Indigo. The band and I weíre driving around town yelling out band names in the car and trying to find one that would stick. When suddenly our drummer yells out ďJACKíS INDIGO!!Ē and from that point on every other name sounded forced.

2. How did this band get started?

Eddie (Drums / Vox) and I (Guitar / Lead Vox) would jam in our garage after school, butchering the living hell out of our favorite Green Day songs. We learned to play together and developed a chemistry that we never found with any of our peers. We eventually got tired of wasting our time and knuckled down to start our own band. Our plan was to avoid playing any shows at first. I told Eddie, ďLetís work on our music for a year and write as many songs as possible. Then weíll play shows.Ē We asked Ibette (Bass / Vox) to join the band and she was a perfect fit.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Iím influenced by bands and musicians that feel real. The kind of artists that put their music before anything else. Iíve always loved the way NOFX stayed away from the MTV world when the punk explosion of 94 was happening. They have never tried to please anyone but themselves and I really admire them for that. But on the other hand Green Dayís musicianship and their dedication to being the best rock band in the world has very much influenced our work ethic.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

If our band could tour with Jeff Mangum and be his live band that would be a dream come true. Weíre all huge fans of ďIn the Aeroplane over the SeaĒ. Weíve been known to cover Neutral Milk Hotel know and again and every time we learn one of their songs we just are shocked at how much melody comes out of those three chords. We saw Adam Green do something similar with his opening band The Dead Trees. It was just awesome to have the opening act so ingrained with the headliner. It made it seems more like a show. They were a collective. Not just a warm up act but an actual part of the headliners performance.

5. Best food on tour?

Weíve not gone out on tour yet, but Iíve always loved tacos. Any place that sells them for a dollar or less is just fine with me.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I donít really think people listen to our band. I think people should watch our band. We put on a great show and play really well. Itís something weíve been working on for the last 4 years as a band. Weíve been musicians for longer than that even and it really comes through in the way we play off each other. But if youíre going to listen to us, Iíd say you find that our music is very stripped down. Itís all about the power and the energy that comes from the three of us. Less is more and that allows you to zone in on the natural melody and arrangement of our music.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Two words. Shaquille OíNeal. Why you ask? Have you seen Kazaam?

8. If you won a grammy, who would you thank?

Two words, Shaquille OíNeal. Why you ask? Have you seen Kazaam?

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Just one thing? I love singles, but we lost sight of what they were. Now a days, the single almost always comes as a cut off the album. I miss the separation. Knowing that If I buy the single Iím not going to have it interrupt the flow of the album. Iím all for pop music. So if a rock/punk/alternative band decides they want to write a fun hooky song, so be it, release it as a single. But do not let that affect the vision of the album as a whole. To this day I cannot listen to albums without skipping over the single that has been burned into my ears, beat to death due to constant radio airplay.

10. Memorable tour experience?

N/A.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

When I discovered Absolute Punk, it was the perfect hub for all of my favorite bandsí news and updates. Everything was consolidated perfectly and efficiently and I was able to check through the news feed fast and get all the info I needed. Sometimes when I saw a rumor of a band breaking up or someone having a secret show I would run to AP and make sure the info was correct. And when I was hungry for new music, APís Free Music Friday posts made sure that my iPod classic was plenty full. Thatís where I discovered bands like Autonomy Games and The Ground is Dancing.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Right now, our cover of A-Punk by Vampire Weekend. Over-all I really like our medley that we play to end our set, Riff Sandwich/Hey Darlene/I Fought the Law. It keeps people guessing. They have no idea when weíre going to end. Or if weíre going to endÖ

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Mexico. All my family is there and it really feels like a second home to me.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

My mom would always go on a cleaning spree and she would blare really loud Salsa music through our stereo system in the living room. To this day, I canít listen to anything by Sonora Dinamita without feeling like Iím 5 years old again.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

The ability to manipulate Time & Space! I was always fascinated with time travel and the Back to the Future films. Imagine being able to go back and time and fix your past, vacation to historical events and just get everywhere faster. Need to finish that project thatís due in an hour. FREEZE. Itís all good.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

No practice the day of the show. Our drummer came up with that one. He feels that we need to save our performance because weíll only get one good one a day.
Also, we freak out and start making no sense or getting overly excited about things. Like dogs.

17. What is something that most fans donít know about you?

As a band? We donít practice nearly as much as we should. Personally? Iím pretty sure that brown spot on my thigh is jock itch.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think itís a place where your band could flourish?

Radio will always reflect the trends of the time. I want our band to be on the radio, only in the sense that it will be indicative of how many people are tuning in to listen to our music (pun intended).

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

We go to eat. If weíre not playing, weíre eating. Itís an obsession really. Free food? Iím there.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I can still spell Kazaam correctly without looking it up online, even though I have not seen that movie since it came out. Seriously though, Have you seen Kazaam?

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
06:09 AM on 06/25/13
cantbesaved
you are the sheep; i am the wolf
User Info.
will check out this band cause kazaam

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles