Username
Password

06:21 AM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
SpyKi
This Charming Man
Wales
Male - 23 Years Old
Also, releasing "Sins" as the next single is kind of stupid. That song is probably the thing from this album that sticks out the least from what they've done in the past. I like it fine, but there are way more impressive songs here.
That's probably why they're doing it. A safe choice..
06:53 AM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
Florida
Male - 20 Years Old
I don't think I'm gonna listen but I'd rather it be "Sins" since we already kinda have an acoustic version of that song... more surprises come release.
09:57 AM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Spent some of yesterday walking around town listening to this. Thoughts:

1) The band's biggest problem is monotony ... their songs just all sound very similar ... you can appear anywhere on the album and not know where you are because there's a lack of differentiation within the songs. This isn't that much of a detriment in its own, cause the songs are good ... but when we've had 3 albums and 2 eps of the same stuff ... I would prefer they mix it up a little bit -- I think a different producer would help.

2) AJ's voice sounds like he's been drinking and smoking too much.

3) The "speaking through" a line (compared to opening up and singing) I noticed more than usual.

4) The sequencing is off ... the album is back-heavy.

5) This is my least favorite album by them after ~10 listens. Going back to the earlier EPs I think they showed more inventiveness in their song structures and the melody.

6) AJ should get as much credit as Soupy does for relatable lyrics.

7) "Knives" is the best song Manchester Orchestra never wrote.
10:07 AM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
Zack Zarrillo
NYC
Male - 21 Years Old
Verified

1) The band's biggest problem is monotony ... their songs just all sound very similar ... you can appear anywhere on the album and not know where you are because there's a lack of differentiation within the songs. This isn't that much of a detriment in its own, cause the songs are good ... but when we've had 3 albums and 2 eps of the same stuff ... I would prefer they mix it up a little bit -- I think a different producer would help.

3) The "speaking through" a line (compared to opening up and singing) I noticed more than usual.

5) This is my least favorite album by them after ~10 listens. Going back to the earlier EPs I think they should more inventiveness in their song structures and the melody.

Agreed on all fronts.
10:31 AM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 21 Years Old
Staff Member

i've always found him more relatable than soupy. for me, anyway
11:21 AM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
That's probably why they're doing it. A safe choice..

I mean, there's nothing here that's really risky except for maybe "Knives," and even that is very obviously a Dangerous Summer song. I just think "Sins" is a boring single choice because it's probably the song that sounds the most like their last record. I disagree with Jason: I think this album does show progression. But you can't hear it in that song. Single should have been "Miles Apart."
11:25 AM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
"Miles Apart" is 5 minutes long ... never gonna be a single. But it is probably the catchiest, straight up pop-punk, chorus.

Dunno what progression it showcases though.
11:58 AM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
fine fine, I'll give this album a listen.
12:10 PM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
"Miles Apart" is 5 minutes long ... never gonna be a single. But it is probably the catchiest, straight up pop-punk, chorus.

Dunno what progression it showcases though.

That's true. I'd say that or "We Will Wait in the Fog" would be the best plays for the mainstream. Maybe "Anchor." I don't know.

And I couldn't see "Miles Apart" (or most of the songs on this record, for that matter) on any of their earlier albums. The guitar work is completely different throughout most of the record. War Paint especially was built around these thick walls of guitar sound that didn't really fluctuate that much. I think the musical arrangements are a lot more nuanced and meticulous this time around, and I think "Miles Apart" is sort of the epitome of that. The guitar parts are way more rhythmic and effects-laden, and I think the songs sound bigger and more arena-oriented as a result. It's obviously cut from a similar cloth as far as songwriting is concerned, but I think the new guys definitely make an impression on the band's sound that wasn't there in the past.

And AJ really isn't writing melodies the same way either. Reach for the Sun was more meandering in its songwriting style. The verses really seemed like stream-of-consciousness writing, meant more to deliver the emotive lyrics than to really stand alone as melodies. And on War Paint, he toned down on that a bit and really focused on bridges instead. I think all my favorite moments of that album are the bridge sections. That's where he put his most emotional lyrics. This time around, the songs have been tightened and honed in a way that I think they lean on the choruses more than anything else. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing will depend on the listener, but I definitely think the writing was streamlined in a more straightforward pop-rock/arena-rock direction.
02:16 PM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member

5) This is my least favorite album by them after ~10 listens. Going back to the earlier EPs I think they showed more inventiveness in their song structures and the melody.

Same. My first thought after hearing the record was that it's odd that AJ used to rarely sing with such a raw, raspy sound - pretty much just at the end of "Weathered" and "Work In Progress" - but now does on every single track. It becomes a bit much.
02:22 PM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
vivatoto56
EB was left out
Billings, MT
Male - 23 Years Old
Love his voice like that. Very excited.
02:22 PM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
Coral Springs, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
^^^
02:30 PM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Borderline blown out?
02:34 PM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
SpyKi
This Charming Man
Wales
Male - 23 Years Old
I thought it sounded a bit weak on Catholic Girls. Not too thrilled to hear the whole record sounds like that.
02:34 PM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
vivatoto56
EB was left out
Billings, MT
Male - 23 Years Old
Rough...I mean I haven't heard it so I can't say for sure but the way you describe it...I love Work In Progress and Weathered.

A lot of artists have rough smoking voices...I enjoy it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos