Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 101
04:36 AM on 09/03/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
I love this album, I haven't been able to stop playing it the past few days.

But it definitely sounds like cool not cold to me...
04:48 AM on 09/03/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
I must be the only who never saw the hype for this. Regardless, album's okay.
04:58 AM on 09/03/13
cjudge90
User Info.
9/10 for me, I'll probably kill this for the next 6 months

nice review Ryan, agree almost entirely. Talk! is def a grower
05:06 AM on 09/03/13
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
for some reason i thought this band was gonna sound like a gridier mewithoutyou but its more of like a dangerous summer type of band with more pop and synth. anyways don't see the hype, not my thing.
05:13 AM on 09/03/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
I'm just gonna imagine it's cold, not cool.
06:11 AM on 09/03/13
tossit
Gather round children zip it listen
User Info.
I've listened to it a couple of times already..and I have to agree this album is pretty amazing. I'm really pleased with the end result.
06:44 AM on 09/03/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
As am I haha
07:23 AM on 09/03/13
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
Such a good album. Love how it blends all kinds of genres together. Production is amazing, and all the tracks flow nicely. I'll be listening to this for a while.
07:32 AM on 09/03/13
rbf737
User Info.
You could have gone on at length about this one as far as I'm concerned. I've been following them for awhile and was eagerly anticipating this record. I have to admit that had such high expectations the first time I listened to it I wasn't sure how I felt about it; I didn't know what I wanted from it.

The more I listen to it the more I love it and recognize it as being, like you said, a timeless record. The production is fantastic, there are so many beautiful moments, and there are so many strong songs on there; I'm always remembering another one when I think about it. I said this in the other thread but I haven't been this excited about a band in close to 10 years (since the Killers debuted with Hot Fuss).

Side note; I always liked "cool" because it just seems like she's so entranced by him. Cold has its own connotations which work well, too.
07:34 AM on 09/03/13
tacobell83200
Jesus Christ, did I fuck up?
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really like the album, definitely gonna spin it again and again, but it just doesn't live to the hype for me. I expected so much more from all I heard about the band (but I never listened to any of the EPs, so that was a first for me).

Definitely not my AOTY, but definitely a really good record. Love the synths.
07:43 AM on 09/03/13
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
Quote:
Simply put, this record already feels timeless. I rarely feel that way about such a new release, but with this debut album, The 1975 have left quite a footprint. This album is what pop music should be. This album is what indie-pop should be. It’s what the radio should play. The album really has no genre, as the band would rather break genre barriers and erase the labels.
This. Hopefully it will wake up radio listeners from their musical stasis.
07:55 AM on 09/03/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Good review, Ryan. I still think this record could have been a bit shorter, but that's a small complaint. Only song I would definitely trim would be "M.O.N.E.Y." I also like the interludes, but think the record would do just fine without most of them.

That said, there are some really, really great songs here. I'm partial to "Robbers," "Sex," and "Is There Somebody Who Can Watch Over You." The latter gives me a "Beth/Rest" vibe, not just in atmosphere, but also in how it's a complete 180 from the rest of the songs on the disc.
08:05 AM on 09/03/13
vivatoto56
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.

Haha, yeah, I came to the same conclusion.
08:07 AM on 09/03/13
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.
I think calling it timeless at this point is a bit of a stretch this early in. And I think it's contradictory of you to have said this is genre-bending while constantly saying through your review that there are a ton of good pop songs in this. Speaking of, I still don't get that comment of how this is what "good pop music" should be made of. I get that this has a lot of pop sensibilities, but I have a hard time swallowing this as pop. Could be a cultural thing though, maybe a lot of local pop music over here is just so different from this that I can't imagine this alongside most of pop music. But hey, that's just a nitpick on definitions and fences, it's not that big of a deal.

I also said this in the podcast thread, but I don't get all the praise for "Robbers." It's just okay, but there are a lot of far better songs on this album. Idk, maybe it just takes a few more listens for it to really sink in.

Still, talking in circles about genre definitions aside, I agree with you that this is a pretty great album. Two listens haven't given me that "Oh shit, this album is fantastic" feeling yet (could be I hyped this up too much), but I did enjoy this album quite a bit. I really want this band to blow up because I love their vibe so much.

This. Hopefully it will wake up radio listeners from their musical stasis.
That's ironic, considering radio is what introduced me to this band.
08:24 AM on 09/03/13
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
I think calling it timeless at this point is a bit of a stretch this early in. And I think it's contradictory of you to have said this is genre-bending while constantly saying through your review that there are a ton of good pop songs in this. Speaking of, I still don't get that comment of how this is what "good pop music" should be made of. I get that this has a lot of pop sensibilities, but I have a hard time swallowing this as pop. Could be a cultural thing though, maybe a lot of local pop music over here is just so different from this that I can't imagine this alongside most of pop music. But hey, that's just a nitpick on definitions and fences, it's not that big of a deal.

I also said this in the podcast thread, but I don't get all the praise for "Robbers." It's just okay, but there are a lot of far better songs on this album. Idk, maybe it just takes a few more listens for it to really sink in.

Still, talking in circles about genre definitions aside, I agree with you that this is a pretty great album. Two listens haven't given me that "Oh shit, this album is fantastic" feeling yet (could be I hyped this up too much), but I did enjoy this album quite a bit. I really want this band to blow up because I love their vibe so much.

That's ironic, considering radio is what introduced me to this band.
You are the exception to the rule, my friend.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos