Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 219
04:01 AM on 09/09/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
I want to backtrack on the word "positive", its really the hyperbole bothers me. BUT, if hes only writing 6-8 reviews a year, why is he getting the "high profile" reviews? i know a lot of people (including myself) that want to hear this record, and these reviews are the ones going into metacritic and the like. so why isint a more experienced reviewer (like yourself) taking the lead on these? i get that hes passionate about what he writes, i wouldn't expect an unpaid contributor to write about crap he dosent want to listen to, but it seems strange that someone who takes only 6-8 reviews a year to write the only staff review about the most anticipated records of the year (including Generation). I get everyone has their biases (i dont think ill ever read a negative ETID review from drew, even if they did a faithful Katy Perry cover album) but some times it feels too much.

i love this site, been my #1 source for years, but when i see you guys in all the major review places, i just wish the reviews were taken more seriously.

EDIT: And how can you call TGG a N/A score? He would that record a 12 if he could of. Its my favorite album this year by far, but come on, i get when he did that with Ocean Avenue, but to do that for TGG is nonsense.
This site has generally reviewed albums more positively than most other places for as long as I can remember (I started visiting in '07). Just accept that on here a 50% is basically a big failure, 75%-80% is average and anything higher is good. Don't worry about how the reviews compare to other sites.
05:04 AM on 09/09/13
jpd19125
Screw Flanders
User Info.
i love this record and this band.
glad they got up to or surpassed separation.

my preorder better show up today.
05:09 AM on 09/09/13
jpd19125
Screw Flanders
User Info.
also, how did this get a member rating of 69% so far?
06:46 AM on 09/09/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I want to backtrack on the word "positive", its really the hyperbole bothers me. BUT, if hes only writing 6-8 reviews a year, why is he getting the "high profile" reviews? i know a lot of people (including myself) that want to hear this record, and these reviews are the ones going into metacritic and the like. so why isint a more experienced reviewer (like yourself) taking the lead on these? i get that hes passionate about what he writes, i wouldn't expect an unpaid contributor to write about crap he dosent want to listen to, but it seems strange that someone who takes only 6-8 reviews a year to write the only staff review about the most anticipated records of the year (including Generation). I get everyone has their biases (i dont think ill ever read a negative ETID review from drew, even if they did a faithful Katy Perry cover album) but some times it feels too much.

i love this site, been my #1 source for years, but when i see you guys in all the major review places, i just wish the reviews were taken more seriously.

EDIT: And how can you call TGG a N/A score? He would that record a 12 if he could of. Its my favorite album this year by far, but come on, i get when he did that with Ocean Avenue, but to do that for TGG is nonsense.
Now sure how long you've been around, but Thomas was probably the most prolific writer on the site as little as two years ago. He graduated and got a job, and that leaves less time to review. Doesn't mean anyone is going to stop him from writing about the albums he wants to write about.

Anyway, good review Thomas. I like this record, though I think it gets a bit samey and monotonous along the way.
06:55 AM on 09/09/13
joshc
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great review. great album. enough said.
06:56 AM on 09/09/13
punchlinekid182
This wind changed me
User Info.
I've never checked this band out, but I think it's time I do
07:02 AM on 09/09/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.

I believe I have more reviews than all active staff that aren't Drew, Blake or Greg Robson. I feel that makes me fine in terms of experience. Plenty of the 200+ reviews I've written have been negative. In the apparently short time you've been reading me, I've already given an extremely negative review to a high-profile release in Transit. Yellowcard's acoustic thing I don't consider a real review and I say that in the piece. But as Jack mentioned, now that I can't write 60-100 reviews a year, I choose my most anticipated albums or the ones that strike me hardest. I feel that's fair of me at this point. I also reviewed Balance's last LP, for what it's worth.

Sorry that you found it to be hyperbole, it happens, but I figured that I'd explain that for ya!
07:12 AM on 09/09/13
NicolasD
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album blows Separation away, the only thing I rolled my eyes at a little was when Dirty Head started playing, but other than that, this album's amazing. Great review Thomas.
07:16 AM on 09/09/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
my bros dig separation hard, gotta get this.
07:45 AM on 09/09/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
my bros dig separation hard, gotta get this.
wat
07:54 AM on 09/09/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Often find Thomas's praise of albums a little exaggerated (no offense intended, just my observations) but in this case I think we will be on the same page. Album is wonderful from what I've heard. Is there a stream anywhere?
07:55 AM on 09/09/13
absintheparty9
Step back. Evaluate. Recognize.
User Info.
"We listen and strongly relate to stories told through the eyes of characters we’ll never meet, filtered through the lens of someone’s mind which we’ll never fully understand."
Really awesome line. Can't wait for my shit to arrive.
07:55 AM on 09/09/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Great, great review.

Mentioned this in a thread somewhere, but one thing I think is important to mention about this record - it doesn't 'replace' Separation for me in any way. I love both records, for different reasons.

The opposite is true of Thrice's final LPs. I really enjoyed Beggars - but when Major/Minor released, Beggars became...less. The latter record stayed within the world of the former, so much so that it almost made Beggars irrelevant to me (that's an exaggeration, but I certainly listen to it much less now).

Separation and The Things We Think We're Missing hit different notes for me. The earlier album is more raw and unrefined, while the new is more polished and explores the more bombastic sides of B&C. Both will continually receive regular plays, and I'm not sure I have a favorite between them.

Hopefully that made sense.

Still surprises me that people enjoyed Major/Minor as much as they did. Such a dreadfully boring record and a whimper that great band went out on.
08:04 AM on 09/09/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
08:09 AM on 09/09/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Still surprises me that people enjoyed Major/Minor as much as they did. Such a dreadfully boring record and a whimper that great band went out on.
Yeah beggars outshines m/m in every way.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos