Username
Password
Funny News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Funny
Inside AP.net

Reddit Has A Big Stand-Up Comedy Problem

Posted by: Cody Nelson (01/07/14)
Hey, everyone. I know it's been awhile since you've heard from me on the news page. I'll deal with that in the morning with some new comedy content for you all. For now, though, I felt this article was the right way to end my sabbatical. Immense social everything site reddit is having a little bit of an internal struggle between their massive default subreddit /r/funny, which is a fairly self-explanatory name (though if you look at its content, it's really not) and the subreddit /r/standupshots, which features comedians posting their own material in easy-to-read imgur format. While not one of the biggest communities on the site, /r/standupshots is one of the most dedicated, but the issues with reddit as a whole has led to the /r/standupshots moderator quitting the site completely, leaving the future of stand-up comedy on reddit fairly in limbo. Before his departure, said moderator left a thoughtful and thought-provoking message regarding this situation (in typical /r/standupshots form, no less), and it's certainly worth a read if you're a fellow Redditor. Check the picture out in the replies and leave your thoughts on all of this below.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
03:28 PM on 01/07/14
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
03:34 PM on 01/07/14
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
That's sort of fucked up.
03:43 PM on 01/07/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
... he is talking about a site that celebrated the end of the year by arguing over who the "worst woman" was and routinely posts and encourages misogynistic, homophobic, and racist content. /r/standupshots is one of the few communities still left that isn't entirely contaminated by the poop show that is the general reddit user base. Why would this guy even want his subreddit associated with /r/funny????
03:45 PM on 01/07/14
Greninja
Makes a Splash!
User Info.
Nah, I've seen stranger things on Reddit.

I'm subscribed to /r/poppunkers, /r/posthardcore, and /r/lewronggeneration. What's yours?
03:48 PM on 01/07/14
youareallfreaks
thoust dare quoth i?
User Info.
can someone translate?
03:54 PM on 01/07/14
theintention
It's like Meow-Schwitz in here.
User Info.
I have been on Reddit for a couple of years, and have never even heard or /r/standupshots. Why not just watch the video of the joke? Seems... Too time consuming.
03:59 PM on 01/07/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
Reddit needs to overhaul what's considered a default subreddit. /r/funny is full of shitty memes and reposts. Reddit also have a problem with subreddit mods who are drunk with "power", it gets really disgusting on how they treat their users in their own subs. Admins usually don't do shit, and let them run free.

This jpg is slowly becoming viral, and I'm curious on how the admins will react... or not react.
04:06 PM on 01/07/14
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Never been on Reddit besides a couple of Zach Braff AMA's but that sounds like bullshit to me.
04:21 PM on 01/07/14
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Redditor here. Don't sub to /r/funny. Shits not funny.
04:23 PM on 01/07/14
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
... he is talking about a site that celebrated the end of the year by arguing over who the "worst woman" was and routinely posts and encourages misogynistic, homophobic, and racist content. /r/standupshots is one of the few communities still left that isn't entirely contaminated by the poop show that is the general reddit user base. Why would this guy even want his subreddit associated with /r/funny????
I've always said to friends who hate the community that Reddit's become that there's always a subreddit that's reasonably intelligent if you put the time in to look for it. I unfollowed r/funny and r/adviceanimals almost immediately after I joined because I got tired of meme-based/ignorant shit coming up, but I haven't had much trouble with people on Reddit after narrowing down my subreddits.

Definitely going to follow r/standupshots and the other two now, even though it seems pointless now that the mod left.
04:31 PM on 01/07/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
i read that entire letter but then got distracted with total worry about going blind. that's what white text on a black background does to a guy.
04:32 PM on 01/07/14
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
r/funny is the least funny thing on reddit.
04:36 PM on 01/07/14
Scrawns
indie sounding lyrics here
User Info.
Music related content
04:48 PM on 01/07/14
ChaseTx
Never seen /r/standupshots, but i unsubscribed from /r/funny a while ago. Reddit has a lot of great communities, but the first thing you should do after signing up is unsubscribe to the handful of default subreddits that don't do what they set out to and find the ones that will actually bring value to your time there.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests