Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 195
08:09 AM on 02/17/14
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
Seen a lot of love around the site for this album, but I'm finally giving it a shot because of your review.
08:13 AM on 02/17/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Haha yeah even then I kinda knew that probably wouldn't be true though. English Oceans is awesome but not without flaws--perhaps since I'm such a huge fan I hear the little things that could be better more than others. And there's not a single thing on this album I'd change if I could.

And hell this probably won't be my favorite of the year either when all's said and done, who knows. It's only February and it looks like we might finally get a new Wrens record this year!
Yeah man, I'm teasing. I'm really coming around on English Oceans, but it took me a little while. Their albums are just so long that they don't really hit me immediately. As for Hotelier, I don't see any scenario playing out with this album where I don't skip "Life in Drag" every time, but that's just me and just because I don't go for that type of song, musically. And really, skipping a song every time doesn't even mean an album can't make my top five at the end of the year. I skip that Gun Club cover on Celebration Rock every time through and it was my number four. But I definitely need to spend some time with this album to appreciate all of the thematic stuff you pointed out in your review.
08:16 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Yeah man, I'm teasing. I'm really coming around on English Oceans, but it took me a little while. Their albums are just so long that they don't really hit me immediately. As for Hotelier, I don't see any scenario playing out with this album where I don't skip "Life in Drag" every time, but that's just me and just because I don't go for that type of song, musically. And really, skipping a song every time doesn't even mean an album can't make my top five at the end of the year. I skip that Gun Club cover on Celebration Rock every time through and it was my number four. But I definitely need to spend some time with this album to appreciate all of the thematic stuff you pointed out in your review.
Yeah man English Oceans hit me hard on first listen but unless you're a Truckers diehard that's just not gonna happen haha. Yeah well I love "Life in Drag," sounds like it could fit in on that Touche Amore record from last year that I loved. But yeah different strokes.

Totally get that dude. This one's a monster lyrically/thematically but it's not immediately apparent. Can't tell you how many times I've though "shit I should've talked about this too" since I put the review up last night. Ah well.
08:24 AM on 02/17/14
Kyle Thrash
@thrash_itup
User Info.
A really well written review! "An Introduction To The Album" has been on repeat the last few days. Still trying to digest the whole record, its got so much good going on.
08:24 AM on 02/17/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Yeah man English Oceans hit me hard on first listen but unless you're a Truckers diehard that's just not gonna happen haha. Yeah well I love "Life in Drag," sounds like it could fit in on that Touche Amore record from last year that I loved. But yeah different strokes.

Totally get that dude. This one's a monster lyrically/thematically but it's not immediately apparent. Can't tell you how many times I've though "shit I should've talked about this too" since I put the review up last night. Ah well.
I also just always miss Isbell now, listening to the newer Truckers albums versus stuff like The Dirty South. I'm glad he went solo, because now we get full albums of his stuff instead of getting four or five tracks an album. But shit, I think he brought something to their records that the newer ones are missing. And that Touche record wasn't for me either, so it's no surprise that I'm not into "Life in Drag."
08:28 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
I also just always miss Isbell now, listening to the newer Truckers albums versus stuff like The Dirty South. I'm glad he went solo, because now we get full albums of his stuff instead of getting four or five tracks an album. But shit, I think he brought something to their records that the newer ones are missing. And that Touche record wasn't for me either, so it's no surprise that I'm not into "Life in Drag."
Yeah I miss him too, but I just have accepted that that whole situation is what it is and there's not gonna be another Truckers record like Dirty South or Decoration Day. And honestly while I obviously miss his songwriting, I miss his guitar work even more. Wish he'd make a full-on rock 'n roll record with the 400 Unit.

If the Truckers keep on cranking out records like English Oceans this deep in their career though, and Isbell keeps improving as a solo artist at the rate he has been, I think we're all winners here haha.
08:28 AM on 02/17/14
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
This album is so fucking good.

One of the final verses in Dendron features my favorite lyrics from a song in over two years:

Part of your charm was the way you would push me from
All of the traps that I just couldn't see
Figures the one that was there to have tripped you up
Would be the one that was set there by me
08:32 AM on 02/17/14
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
I comment very little on reviews nor do I find myself falling in love with many pop-punk leaning records anymore, but this review is easily one of the (if not the) best reviews I've read on this site and this record is chillingly incredible. I've listened to it almost daily for a month now and you still unpacked things about it I hadn't considered.

These guys went from some local band I never really considered as too important to a band worth considering as flag runners for an emo scene that keeps widening in definition. There's not a single unneeded song/moment on this. I hate going on about how good a record is, but goddamn it, this record's a gift.
08:33 AM on 02/17/14
projectmayhem16
keep cool, but care
User Info.
Great review as always, Chris.
08:35 AM on 02/17/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
yeah, this album is phenomenal.
08:37 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
This album is so fucking good.

One of the final verses in Dendron features my favorite lyrics from a song in over two years:

Part of your charm was the way you would push me from
All of the traps that I just couldn't see
Figures the one that was there to have tripped you up
Would be the one that was set there by me
I'd give a similar title to the very last four lines. "Dendron" in general is just such an incredible song.
08:45 AM on 02/17/14
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
I'd give a similar title to the very last four lines. "Dendron" in general is just such an incredible song.
It's absolutely my favorite on the record. Great review. This record is making waves and will continue to.
08:46 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
It's absolutely my favorite on the record. Great review. This record is making waves and will continue to.
Thanks Zack. Yeah I've got a feeling these guys are gonna balloon in the coming weeks. Or at least I certainly hope they do.
08:58 AM on 02/17/14
UglyMug
www.twitter.com/goawaytkus
User Info.
I like this album a lot. I don't think it's as good as their first LP. It has a much darker tone. Favorite song so far is probably housebroken.
09:09 AM on 02/17/14
HappyTheHippie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Everyone's talking about an un-released album. I must be on AP.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos