Password

Album Review

United Nations - United Nations Album Cover

United Nations - United Nations

Reviewed by
United Nations – United Nations
Release Date: September 9, 2008
Record Label: Eyeball
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
When the idea of a scene supergroup rocking out to screamo, grind, and power-violence tunes was first mentioned in 2004 by Daryl Palumbo (Glassjaw, Head Automatica) and Geoff Rickly, girl jeans across the nation become even tighter. But years passed, Rickly’s main group, Thursday released another album and got dropped by Island, while Palumbo released another Head Automatica album and kept promising fans a new Glassjaw record. While this project, named United Nations, would be hinted at here or there with a mention of Converge drummer Ben Koller being a part of the act, it never grew serious legs and many fans and critics, including this reviewer, thought this band and release would never see the light of day.

But now, almost four years later, United Nations have finally released their self-titled debut on Eyeball Records. Since Rickly’s primary band, Thursday, isn’t under contract, he is the only member who can legally appear in press materials, but the public knows that Palumbo (along with Rickly) is providing the deep growls while Koller, Chree Conger (former The Number Twelve Looks Like You drummer), Made Out Of Babies bassit Eric Cooper, and Jonah Bayer of The Lovekill are all rumored to be on the album as well. Together, they have composed an album that clocks in just over 25 minutes, unleashing a fury of sonic wailing, crunching guitars, and political themes. Basically, this is best collaboration/supergroup since the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles joined forces with Vanilla Ice to create “Ninja Rap.”

The chaos begins with “The Spinning Heart of the Yo-Yo Lobby,” a 57 second beatdown featuring a call and return between (what can be assumed to be) Palumbo’s shredding screams and Rickly’s signature cry. “Resolution #9” immediately kicks in with furious drumming that’ll break necks while including, if just barely, some melody. The thrashing of the guitar chords and drumming will make it seem like the Karate Kid is kicking ass inside your brain.

“Filmed In Front Of A Live Studio Audience” starts with static and news voiceovers supplying the background, as Rickly softly sings over a naked guitar chord that quickly pumps into the machine gun repetition of the drums. This track has a definite slower pace that the previous ones, but lyrically, it hits hard. “Subliminal Testing” has a slight industrial vibe to it, as it sludges along with Palumbo (assumed) and Rickly's bark in the background. The finale, “Say Goodbye to General Figment of the USS Imagination,” bursts with anxiety and pandemonium, determined to leave a final impression on the listener. The guitars clash and the vocals rip right through you. It then takes an interesting twist, as it slows down and outros with a nicely composed sax solo, ending the album on a unique note.

In the end, I believe Rickly, Palumbo, and company accomplished what they wanted to with this album. It sends a message, gives you a wedgie, and takes your lunch money, while maintaining a raw yet huge sound. The uneducated will call it grindcore, but it has a little too much structure to be defined as that, as, really, it sounds like Thursday with a tinge of Converge and The Number 12 thrown in. But that doesn’t bother me, as I enjoy all three of those bands. It may bother the screamo/grind elitists, who’ll look for any chance to argue, dismiss, and rip the stereotypical AP.net scenester who’ll claim this record as “OMG SO HARDCORE!!!” As for me, I could care less what genre this supergroup falls under, as I’ll sit back, crank this record to 11 on the volume dial, and enjoy the fireworks in the Music forum.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. The Spinning Heart of the Yo-Yo Lobby
2. Resolution #9
3. No Sympathy for a Sinking Ship
4. The Shape Of Punk that Never Came
5. My Cold War
6. Model UN
7. Filmed in Front of a Live Studio Audience
8. Revolutions in Graphic Design
9. I Keep Living The Same Day
10. Subliminal Testing
11. Say Goodbye to General Figment of the USS Imagination

United Nations are:
Geoff Rickly
Daryl Palumbo

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 96
02:13 AM on 09/12/08
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
02:59 AM on 09/12/08
mogwaifearsatan
feels good man
User Info.
this shit rules
03:03 AM on 09/12/08
weatherbox
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
united nations is emo! grindcore has structure! chuck rocks at myspacers! someone should review geoff's writings ABOUT united nations, five out of five absolut gold stars
03:03 AM on 09/12/08
Özgür Kurtoglu
-
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What the hell? The review paints this up to be near flawless but the score is still 82%? Hm...

Whatever. Nicely done, Drew. I ordered this so it should be somewhere over the Atlantic by now, if not in Sweden already.
04:17 AM on 09/12/08
Rob Hrx
hates a girl with pity in her eyes
User Info.
Can't wait to hear all of this
04:26 AM on 09/12/08
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great review. I love this album and Geoff rRckleys screaming on it. It reminds me of a heavier Thursday with more screaming as well as parts of the contributing artists bands
04:32 AM on 09/12/08
Smeee
AP.net's Resident Staryu
User Info.
go ninja go ninja go!!
04:39 AM on 09/12/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
What the hell? The review paints this up to be near flawless but the score is still 82%? Hm...

Whatever. Nicely done, Drew. I ordered this so it should be somewhere over the Atlantic by now, if not in Sweden already.

I wouldn't be too sure. I live maybe 2 hours away from Eyeball Records headquarters, preordered the album several weeks ago, and haven't received it yet. Mondo frustration.
04:47 AM on 09/12/08
Özgür Kurtoglu
-
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I wouldn't be too sure. I live maybe 2 hours away from Eyeball Records headquarters, preordered the album several weeks ago, and haven't received it yet. Mondo frustration.

But did you pre-order the regular version or the limited edition? I know that Sound Pollution here in Stockholm are receiving it on September 22nd but I was hoping to get my copy before that...
05:02 AM on 09/12/08
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
This album is brilliant to me so far. I'm still needing to run through it completely. I definitely see it reaching my top five list.

Fantastic review, summed up this CD perfectly.
05:07 AM on 09/12/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
But did you pre-order the regular version or the limited edition? I know that Sound Pollution here in Stockholm are receiving it on September 22nd but I was hoping to get my copy before that...

I ordered the Limited Edition- does it make a difference?
05:21 AM on 09/12/08
Özgür Kurtoglu
-
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I ordered the Limited Edition- does it make a difference?

Yeah, I think so. I heard they've had alot of problems with that version.
05:58 AM on 09/12/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Yeah, I think so. I heard they've had alot of problems with that version.

Damn, I thought the problem was that they couldn't sell the limited edition in stores, maybe because of copyright reasons on the cover art? But I didn't think it would affect my pre-order.
06:02 AM on 09/12/08
Özgür Kurtoglu
-
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Damn, I thought the problem was that they couldn't sell the limited edition in stores, maybe because of copyright reasons on the cover art? But I didn't think it would affect my pre-order.

I don't know at all, I'm just guessing and making assumptions. Hopefully Geoff will set things straight in the thread later on.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos