6. Without It
7. Polite
8. Stare at the Sun
9. Obsolete
10. Break the Same
11. You Are Mine
12. Picture
13. Stall Out

I know, I know, we’re barely two weeks into the new year, but I’m gonna go ahead and say it: Mute Math’s self-titled debut is already a serious contender as one of the top albums of the year. It’s spacey, it’s electronic, it’s intelligent, it’s honest, it’s original, it’s beautiful, it rocks, it soothes—what more could one ask of an album? It’s rare that a band comes out of nowhere and flat out stuns you; this is one of those rare occurrences.

With Rhodes pianos, keytars, samples, homemade instruments (including a theremin-inspired guitar), and random gadgets, amongst other things, complementing rich, Sting-esque vocals, atmospheric guitars, smooth, lively bass lines, and hip-hop influenced drums, the members of Mute Math have painted soundscapes which truly do the word justice. The record is layered with colorful, subtle sounds, each stroke of Mute Math’s brush adding a little new something that you’ll only notice and appreciate after repeated listens.

From songs such as “Chaos,” a track with an infectious vocal melody/rhythm, jagged drums, tapped bass lines, airy, ethereal guitars, swirling electronics, and eerie background vocals, to the breathtaking, hauntingly beautiful “You Are Mine” to the Imogen Heap-flavored “Noticed” to the various minute-long interludes to the instrumental “Obsolete,” Mute Math is an absolute treat to listen to the whole way through and straight through—it’s truly an album, masterfully put together. Towards the end of the record, we encounter lengthier, more—dare I say—“epic” tracks, with three of the last four clocking in at over six minutes (two of them over seven), “Stall Out” being the absolute perfect song to close the album with, as it’s hushed, stereo-panned vocals glide over gentle, mellow keyboards and electronics, winding down the listening experience with grace.

Though the album doesn’t hit stores until sometime this fall, the band will be selling the record on their upcoming tour with Vedera. Word has it that the band’s live show is phenomenal, so do yourself a favor: check them out when they come to your town, and make sure to purchase this album while you’re at it; it comes highly recommended.
This review is a user submitted review from Rohan Kohli. You can see all of Rohan Kohli's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
04:04 PM on 01/14/06
analog_boy
to the joshmobile!
User Info.
I can't wait to hear this. I'd love to hear some more reggae-tinged songs like Peculiar People.
04:17 PM on 01/14/06
mydreamrewrite
I'LL MAKE YOU COME DIAMONDS
User Info.
I actually didn't really love Peculiar People that much. But yes, they do have an incredible live show and I can't wait to see them again.
04:19 PM on 01/14/06
JustinQTN
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just jumped on the bandwagon, and I must say these guys are great. They remind of a less pretentious version of TREOS with a vocalist who reminds me of Sting at times. Its pretty sick.
04:48 PM on 01/14/06
Jon Foucart
The Jester
User Info.
god this cd is so fuckin good.
05:42 PM on 01/14/06
thesaturation
User Registered
User Info.
Nice. I've been telling people about this band for the past year and a half. It's nice to see them getting the much deserved recognition. These guys are intelligent musicians.
07:54 PM on 01/14/06
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
i want this cd, but i can't find it anywhere for sale. even their merch site is sold out of it!!!
09:04 PM on 01/14/06
Burnout2888
...has a gambling problem
User Info.
I saw them live with Mae... I became a huge fan in under 30 minutes.
09:39 PM on 01/14/06
reesepiece_xo
fall apart
User Info.
i freaking love this band. you just confirmed my going to the knitting factory so i can get the cd asap
07:33 AM on 01/15/06
iamthebullgod
LOVE is everything...
User Info.
I saw these guys at a record exec show two years ago, and I knew they were gonna put out a kick-ass record. It just happened to be two years later! I'm so excited these guys have gotten the recognition they deserve.

If you all wanna hear them before they were mutemath, check out the band Earthsuit (now defunct). It's a little more reggae-ish than Mute Math is, but they were still good.

Intelligent rock....I love it.
11:20 AM on 01/15/06
Latane
User Info.
Yes it's true...Mute Math is actually better then Panic at the Disco and Cartel.
02:14 PM on 01/15/06
forwardprogress
User Info.
Mute Math is the single greatest live band that I have ever seen. I've watched them turn a crowd who had no idea who they were into rabid fans by the end of a 30-minute set. It's amazing to watch.

If you miss out on this tour with Vedera -- you'll be regretting it for a very long time. Not to mention that you'll be able to pick up a copy of the CD before everyone else will.
03:18 PM on 01/15/06
boldt_action
User Info.
I'm all over this can hardly wait to hear it. Good review.
10:11 PM on 01/15/06
WordFlyerJosh
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I so can't wait much longer to get this cd.... they are freakin' incredible live.
10:11 AM on 01/16/06
Mute Mathaholic
User Info.
Mute Math is the most innovative, awe-inspiring hurricane of musical greatness that I have ever seen. Their music is incredible, but they make you pee your pants when you witness them out-doing it in person. They have to be one of the best live acts of all-time. I expect great things from this album, and can't wait to get it in my hands.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos