Password

Album Review

We Came As Romans - Dreams Album Cover

We Came As Romans - Dreams

Reviewed by
We Came As Romans - Dreams
Record Label: None
Release Date: December 12, 2008
I wasn't sure I'd ever find one of these synth-core bands that I liked. Anyone that knows me will know that I hadn't really found one that actually interested me until I ran into this EP, Dreams. When We Came As Romans released it, I listened the first couple of times, read the initial press release, and I kind of wrote them off as another generic metalcore band. However, since one of my best friends took a personal interest in the EP and well, he's kind of my idol, I started to give Dreams a closer listen.

So, even after my closer inspection, I've come to the obvious conclusion that Dreams, is, in fact, generic. However, they've nailed the whole synth-metalcore thing harder than any other band to this point, and they should be commended for it. Thus, let the commending commence!

The way We Came As Romans use their synth is probably what sets them apart from the hoards of other bands. They use it fairly tastefully and refrain from total bombardment, instead opting to add a bit of a spark that make the tracks come to life. "Shapes" has a perfect example of this: about 30 seconds in, where the synth kicks up and throws out a sweet beat that brings the track in kicking and screaming. The clean vocals are pulled off with an obvious amount of auto-tune or maybe even a vocoder (I can't seem to tell the difference these days). Because the enhancement is obvious though, it actually is a kind of relief. Instead of the artists trying to pass off their vocals as completely natural, they've made it quite obvious that they're getting some help, and it really doesn't seem so bad. Besides that point, the EP is pretty masterfully done. The screaming is powerful, and the vocalist sounds like the old frontman from Burden of a Day before his replacement earlier this year. I think what really attracts me to this EP, unlike most of their contemporaries is the lack of song structure. I know many people enjoy the whole verse-chorus-verse-chorus-breakdown-chorus structure but it just really doesn't work for me. They may not throw out some of the crazy structuring (or non-structuring) of some bands, but they do mix it up enough that I'm actually entertained.

If you're into this whole synth-core trend, go get this now. If you're not, get it anyways (after all, it's free). I have to say, even though I'm usually not impressed with bands of their type, We Came As Romans has produced a solid EP. You can call them metalcore, fashion-core, synth-core or whatever-core, but they nail pretty much everything and have created what I would consider the first gem of this genre. Dreams is a solid listen and they were gracious enough to give it out free, so if you've yet to check it out, do them a favor and do so now.

Recommended if You LikeBurden of a Day; Attack Attack!; Sky Eats Airplane

myspace.com/wecameasromans
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
11:46 AM on 12/20/08
jfork
User Info.
generic review is generic
11:11 PM on 12/20/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
generic review is generic
Thanks for the great feedback!

How was this review in any way, generic?
12:43 PM on 12/21/08
BruisedxBroken
Our song, the sound of suffering...
User Info.
The review isn't generic, but the music sure as hell is. I disagree with the comparison to Burden Of A Day though. BOAD are more along the lines of AoF or The Bled, while WCAR are like underoath and devil wears prada in a blender...
01:15 PM on 12/21/08
Klatzke
User Info.
The review isn't generic, but the music sure as hell is. I disagree with the comparison to Burden Of A Day though. BOAD are more along the lines of AoF or The Bled, while WCAR are like underoath and devil wears prada in a blender...
I don't know where you get that. There are some TDWP comparisons, but the vocals sound almost EXACTLY like BoaD's old vocalist. I wouldn't really put BoaD compared to those bands either. Their old stuff maybe, but the newest album is pretty much the same as this WCAR and other bands of the genre in my opinion.
02:11 PM on 12/21/08
BruisedxBroken
Our song, the sound of suffering...
User Info.
I don't know where you get that. There are some TDWP comparisons, but the vocals sound almost EXACTLY like BoaD's old vocalist. I wouldn't really put BoaD compared to those bands either. Their old stuff maybe, but the newest album is pretty much the same as this WCAR and other bands of the genre in my opinion.

I guess. BOAD's own label recommends their newest stuff for fans of Alexisonfire and Underoath though. And I have to agree. BOAD are more melodic and slightly more progressive than TDWP, and they don't do that br00tal death growl shit either that DWP, WCAR and all the other clones do...
05:05 PM on 12/21/08
jfork
User Info.
sorry, didn't mean to come off so harsh. what i meant was that honestly is was kind of a slow read and it seemed like you were trying too hard to score some scene cred.
05:34 PM on 12/21/08
Klatzke
User Info.
How am I trying to get scene cred? I don't even know what you're getting at.

and @ bruised.. I agree with you to some extent, but BoaD still has the same kind of sing-breakdown combo that they all use.
07:02 PM on 12/21/08
jtsnazzy
Kay
User Info.
This band is fucking terrible. I'm glad they're getting well known so they won't play the local venue anymore.
08:19 AM on 12/22/08
meghanlail
Do you know what stars are?
User Info.
Pretty good review. This album is decent. Nothing groundbreaking, but I liked it.
08:47 AM on 12/22/08
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Good review. Nice job.
12:46 PM on 12/22/08
more heart
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
i don't know if agree with the attack attack! and sky eats airplane comparisons. wcar uses keys kinda sparingly and when they do use it, sounds more like underoath and the devil wears prada rather than those two bands. otherwise, the comparison to burden of a day is sopt on.

really enjoyed the EP. not original but fairly enjoyable. pretty good review.
01:11 PM on 12/22/08
Klatzke
User Info.
i don't know if agree with the attack attack! and sky eats airplane comparisons. wcar uses keys kinda sparingly and when they do use it, sounds more like underoath and the devil wears prada rather than those two bands. otherwise, the comparison to burden of a day is sopt on.

really enjoyed the EP. not original but fairly enjoyable. pretty good review.
SEA used theirs really sparingly on their last album as well.
01:13 PM on 12/22/08
more heart
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
SEA used theirs really sparingly on their last album as well.
that's true. really different from everything perfect on the wrong day.
01:18 PM on 12/22/08
Klatzke
User Info.
that's true. really different from everything perfect on the wrong day.
Mmhmm. I actually couldn't stand their latest album. The vocals really did it in for me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos