AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

It's Like Love - You're Too Sweet for Rock... Album Cover

It's Like Love - You're Too Sweet for Rock...

Reviewed by
It's Like Love - You're Too Sweet for Rock & Roll
Record Label: Tragic Hero Records
Release Date: January 20th, 2009
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It was inevitable that after releasing such a solid EP that It's Like Love would eventually get signed. Tragic Hero Records became the lucky home for the powerpop quintet back in August of '08 and now five months later, they're releasing their debut album, You're Too Sweet for Rock & Roll.

The aforementioned EP, I'm Selling Your Things, was a synth-driven trip into poppy melodies, catchy hooks and infectious vocals; it reminded me much of early Motion City Soundtrack. You're Too Sweet possesses some of the same qualities present in the EP but still manages to let the listener realize that this isn't the same It's Like Love from over a year and a half ago.

The band shows off their progression with tracks like "Untitled," a mellow acoustic song, and "Without You," the album's slowest song powered by piano throughout. However, songs such as "Devin, Don't Give Up" and "It's Not Me, It's You" (the album's opener) display their Motion City Soundtrack-esque musicianship which their earlier fans have grown accustomed to.

"You Put the Whore in Sorority" takes the band's catchiness to a whole new level as the song's chorus is one of the strongest in the band's catalog and arguably in the genre. It's Like Love also makes the un-surprising move of re-recording tracks from their EP to add to the full-length. The re-recorded tracks, "Keep Your Eyes On Me," "Alcohol Brings Out the Bedroom Eyes," and "So I Lied" may take a bit to warm up to for listeners who were used to the originals as I feel the band took away the zing that made them previously pop.

All in all, it's January; it's cold, and there's not too many things I'd rather do than to sit back with the heat on and listen to some music that reminds me of the Summer months. If you're like me - keep warm and give It's Like Love's You're Too Sweet for Rock & Roll a shot.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) It's Not Me, It's You
02) Take Me to the Bed or Lose Me Forever
03) Minus the Music and the Bottle
04) Keep Your Eyes on Me
05) Devin, Don't Give Up
06) Hey Lucy
07) Alcohol Brings Out the Bedroom Eyes
08) You Put the Whore in Sorority
09) So I Lied
10) I Didn't Invent the Rainy Day, I Just Own the Best Umbrella
11) Without You
12) Untitled
LinksAP Profile - Myspace - Amazon MP3 -

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
02:42 PM on 01/20/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Well, I think I'll like anything MCS-esque. So I'll check it out. Nice review, Joe.
02:49 PM on 01/20/09
CaptainJacksHat
User Info.
Well i bought the record and i felt it was disappointing. I think it sounds samey. To me the fact that one of, if not, the best song on the record is Untitled, which is nothing like any of their other songs, shows how bad this album is in comparison to the EP. A band reknowned for being catchy synth pop, and the best song is an acoustic track. Odd. I just think it could have been alot better, it's all just way to predictable for me, from the lyrics to the way it's sung and the way it's played. However, i'd still say it's better than alot of the stuff out there.
03:51 PM on 01/20/09
more heart
Regular-Sized Rudy
User Info.
Somehow I just can't get into these guys

Btw, good review Joe
04:31 PM on 01/20/09
SureAsRain
The Motel Life / Michael
User Info.
good review
but somehow i feel like bands like this have been shot up my pop punk vein too many times before.
additionally, those songs titles are down right bad; which usually means the lyrics are probably pretty dumb.
05:32 PM on 01/20/09
WarpedFan52
User Info.
I preordered the cd and apparently the record company didn't send it to MerchNow so now I have to wait for it to ship on like thursday or friday... :(
07:04 AM on 01/21/09
leifstar
l.i.a.r.
User Info.
I preordered the cd and apparently the record company didn't send it to MerchNow so now I have to wait for it to ship on like thursday or friday... :(
I did too! I hate that I have not received it yet. I've been looking forward to this for a long time.
08:44 AM on 01/21/09
jtyexists9
We shouldnt have abandoned dreaming
User Info.
Well, I think I'll like anything MCS-esque. So I'll check it out. Nice review, Joe.
Good call.
09:30 AM on 01/21/09
MCSisonfire
www.myspace.com/aimfortheskies
User Info.
i'm listening to them on myspace, does anyone feel the intro/verses to its not me, its you have a strangely similar feel to we the kings - check yes juliet?

i'm enjoying the band so far though!
10:06 AM on 01/21/09
ashiex3
Oh, but the world is a mess.
User Info.
i'll have to check them out.
10:30 AM on 01/21/09
HelpMeSleep
fuck what you know.
User Info.
I always thought they were MCS-esque too. I want to hear this. and the old EP, I never listened to that one.
11:03 AM on 01/21/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review, will check out anything MCS like :)
11:57 AM on 01/21/09
GregisXcore
rockisdead-long live paper&scissors
User Info.
when i heard i'm selling your things it convinced me to check out Motion City, haha
01:13 PM on 01/21/09
brdstevie
User Info.
the vocals are shite.
03:14 PM on 01/21/09
Mochem
User Info.
Apart from the obvious moog/synth I don't really pick up any MCS vibes. Maybe I need to listen again.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos