Password

Album Review

Your Eyes My Dreams - Weapons Are Useless Album Cover

Your Eyes My Dreams - Weapons Are Useless

Reviewed by
Your Eyes My DreamsWeapons Are Useless
Release Date: June 20, 2006
Label: Indianola Records

John Edwards was a Puritan preacher who lived and worked in eighteenth century New England. Edwards was famous for his “fire and brimstone” sermons that succeeded in scaring the shit out of wayward parishioners. Your Eyes My Dreams is a 21st century Christian metalcore band hailing from the oft forgotten state of Delaware. When the dead rise from the earth in the coming Apocalypse (Panic! At The Disco was the first sign), Edwards will surely seek out the Your Eye My Dreams thrash-pit that will have evolved from those at the show that didn’t ascend in the rapture. Poor bastards.

Vocalist Jason Pryor takes the Edwards role, two hundred some odd years later. Pryor barks out the message over shape-shifting guitars and double drum pedals firing off like machine guns in the middle of war-torn Baghdad. You can’t argue with the band’s enthusiasm, or their talent. Pryor’s voice is far from melodic, but his accompaniment makes the music seem more aesthetically appealing than his beastlike vocals would suggest. Making you think some of the members of YEMD cut their teeth in emo bands.

Truth be told, I got way into philosophy my freshman year of college and thus started questioning the existence of God. Haven’t stopped since. Later, during senior year, I started reading on Eastern religion and decided that if I were to live by any kind of code of ethics, it would likely be one from that part of the world. The point of me giving you that line of useless information is this. Seeing as how I’m not a Christian and tend to disagree with a lot of what Western religion has to offer, you might find it surprising that I enjoy this album as much I do.

Unlike a number of other critics I know, I’ll never bash a band for having a purpose. Personally, I don’t see the difference between the message a band like Your Eyes My Dreams espouses here and what NOFX delivers on War on Errorism. I may not totally agree with either, but both require passion and isn’t that what good music should do. After listening to Weapons Are Useless you may be even more convinced of your eternal damnation, but you won't be able to argue the preacher couldn’t preach.

Nothing says "Christian metalcore" like businessmen with machine guns: “The Forecast Calls For Rain”

Three more horsemen: Life In Your Way, Most Precious Blood, As I Lay Dying
This review is a user submitted review from Russ Hockenbury. You can see all of Russ Hockenbury's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
04:59 PM on 07/06/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
I'm quickly falling in love with every word that you utter.

I heard this cd at a friends house a couple weeks back, I believe he downloaded it illegaly. I thought it sucked.

"Nothing says "Christian metalcore" like businessmen with machine guns" LOL.
05:15 PM on 07/06/06
Garett Press
User Info.
Originally Posted by GoWaitInTheCar
I'm quickly falling in love with every word that you utter.

I heard this cd at a friends house a couple weeks back, I believe he downloaded it illegaly. I thought it sucked.

"Nothing says "Christian metalcore" like businessmen with machine guns" LOL.
Sick freakin review Russ. You've got a great deal of talent!
05:47 PM on 07/06/06
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
Seriously great review. Very descriptive and yet casual. I look forward to reading all of your future work.
06:01 PM on 07/06/06
DE's Finest
...is a bitch
User Info.
Fuck yea, Delaware! It's awesome to see these guys get some recongition. The drummer that played on this record quit and is now in some other hardcore band. He's only like 16, and he is good as shit. X302X. No one is going to understand what that means but fuck it.
06:19 PM on 07/06/06
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
Originally Posted by DE's Finest
Fuck yea, Delaware! It's awesome to see these guys get some recongition. The drummer that played on this record quit and is now in some other hardcore band. He's only like 16, and he is good as shit. X302X. No one is going to understand what that means but fuck it.
if you're talking about "X302X", i'm assuming it's the area code of delaware with some x's tossed in. mystery solved, it's like i'm nancy drew or something......
06:20 PM on 07/06/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
You are a hardworking man, others should take note *wink*
06:51 PM on 07/06/06
btbam > you
IT'S TIME!
User Info.
you barely even talked about the music in this review.
07:07 PM on 07/06/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
Originally Posted by btbam > you
you barely even talked about the music in this review.

This my style. Like it or LOVE it.
07:10 PM on 07/06/06
btbam > you
IT'S TIME!
User Info.
Originally Posted by Russ Hockenbury
This my style. Like it or LOVE it.
if i'm reading a review of a band i haven't heard of, i'd like more than a few sentences about the music.
07:20 PM on 07/06/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
if i'm reading a review of a band i haven't heard of, i'd like more than a few sentences about the music.

Well, you kind of get that from the comparisons at the bottom. Additionally, just because I don't say things like:

"This cd is really melodic." or "Riffs are heavy" doesn't mean I don't talk about the music. Personally, I hate reviews like that. It's just worthless filler that could be said about a thousand other cds.

Vocalist Jason Pryor takes the Edwards role, two hundred some odd years later. Pryor barks out the message over shape-shifting guitars and double drum pedals firing off like machine guns in the middle of war-torn Baghdad.

Those two sentences tell me more about the music than 5 of the other kind.
07:26 PM on 07/06/06
btbam > you
IT'S TIME!
User Info.
Well, you kind of get that from the comparisons at the bottom. Additionally, just because I don't say things like:

"This cd is really melodic." or "Riffs are heavy" doesn't mean I don't talk about the music. Personally, I hate reviews like that. It's just worthless filler that could be said about a thousand other cds.

Vocalist Jason Pryor takes the Edwards role, two hundred some odd years later. Pryor barks out the message over shape-shifting guitars and double drum pedals firing off like machine guns in the middle of war-torn Baghdad.

Those two sentences tell me more about the music than 5 of the other kind.

you're trying far too hard.
07:47 PM on 07/06/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
you're trying far too hard.

At this point, I'll just have to politely disagree.
07:50 PM on 07/06/06
PomonaForEmpusa
Am just some gravel
User Info.
good review.. this band is pretty good.
07:56 PM on 07/06/06
oceanblue
Every day I'm getting older.
User Info.
At this point, I'll just have to politely disagree.

I thought it was a good review, none of the bull shit and straight to the point. Kind of like my Techincal Communication class. Good Job.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos