Password

Album Review

Haram - Haram Album Cover

Haram - Haram

Reviewed by
Haram - Haram
Label: Lovitt Records
Release Date: March 14, 2006

Last summer, was the first summer I was officially “back on the market” since my awkward teenage years. One of the several women I went through in that three-month period was a judge’s daughter with a weakness for experimental drugs. Musically, she was into shoegazer, “my-black-glasses-and-willowy-skirt-are-cooler-than-yours” rock. The kind of music that lacks a pulse, but somehow keeps on living.

Thinking I’d easily score if I took her to a show of that sort, we embarked on a nighttime adventure to see rootsy, snooze-rock outfit Marah. Halfway through the band’s set, I was so bored that I ended up abandoning the date. Needless to say, I never talked to the judge’s daughter again.

Right now, you’re either: beguiled, confused, or perhaps even a little angry at me for wasting your time on a dating story involving Marah in a review that’s supposed to be about the band, Haram. Ah, but you see, Haram is Marah spelled backwards. Eh…eh…

Ok, well I’m convinced that if I had taken the girl to see Haram that night instead of Marah, SHE would’ve left ME in the middle of Haram’s set and I would’ve ended up sleeping with her edgier, dark-haired friend. No party drugs for Elise. I may have been confronted with a horrible case of crabs a day or two afterward, but at least we would’ve had Tuesday…and Haram.

Haram is an angular hardcore band from somewhere near the DC area and it shows. On their self-titled Lovitt Records’ debut, the band mimics the progressive stylings of hardcore icons such as Drive Like Jehu and Quicksand while trying to stay modern enough to suit newcomers to the genre. Credit the influences to members of Haram doing time in several hardcore bands that only your older brother’s hardcore nazi-turned-plumber friend remembers.

For the most part, Haram succeeds in what they set out to accomplish. At times (“Make it Up”, “Clean Sweep”), the album is a bit too ambitious for it’s own good. Odd time signatures and shape-shifting rhythms were standard parts of the post-hardcore revolution to emerge from the fall of Dischord era punk. Back then it was pretty damn impressive to listen to a band meander aimlessly through five or six minutes of stretchy guitars and schizoid drumming. Today, it doesn’t have that same kind of appeal.

Out of permethrin shampoo so soon?: “Fade Away”, “Disease”

Ask the guy under your house: Drive Like Jehu, Jawbox, Quicksand
This review is a user submitted review from Russ Hockenbury. You can see all of Russ Hockenbury's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
08:21 PM on 07/13/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
I loved this review. It actually gave me an idea of what the band SOUNDS like, which sometimes I don't get out of reviews. =P
08:46 PM on 07/13/06
perrone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
decent cd...a little overboard on the anecdote but oh wells

i'm under the impression that not many people here will care about this record
09:38 PM on 07/13/06
cashonthestereo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
majority rule and city of caterpillar arent that far gone. and its not only weird older people who like/remember them - its people who are just into good, underground, music.
09:46 PM on 07/13/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Never heard of'em. Hmm..

Did you ever get Placebo's Meds?
10:22 PM on 07/13/06
dangets
hardcore lurker
User Info.
i saw these guys two years ago in the attic auditorium of the history building in geneseo. they were boring and all the camo kids hated it, but i bought the EP anyway and haven't listened to it since. their songs are mostly: play half-decent idea - repeat x 800 - end. not surprised they got a shitty review.
11:50 PM on 07/13/06
LulaDivinia
User Info.
yeah I dunno about only the "nazi turned plumbers" remembering Majority Rule, Trial By Fire and Pg.99, idiot.
02:32 AM on 07/14/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
Originally Posted by LulaDivinia
yeah I dunno about only the "nazi turned plumbers" remembering Majority Rule, Trial By Fire and Pg.99, idiot.

Hardcore Nazi, c'mon we all know these people. They can't all be localized in the Louisville area. That plumber comment comes from Sean Garrison's (Kinghorse) truism that "Old punks end up crawling under houses."

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos