Password

Album Review
Sonny Moore - Gypsyhook EP Album Cover

Sonny Moore - Gypsyhook EP

Reviewed by
Sonny Moore - Gypsyhook EP
Record Label: Atlantic Records
Release Date: April 7th, 2009
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
In 2007, haters rejoiced when Sonny Moore left From First to Last. However, their dream come true shortly became a worst nightmare when it was announced that Moore would be pursuing a solo career. Not only were people going to get a Sonny-less From First to Last album (which turned out mediocre as expected) but an entirely new project from Moore as well. Gypsyhook is the first official (major label) release from him and unfortunately, it isn't going to be his last.

When Moore was in From First to Last, I actually enjoyed Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has a Body Count to a certain extent. While I didn't know what to expect from his solo project, I was hoping that it would have the same effect on me that DD,MTAHABC did. After my first few listens, my only reactions of Gypsyhook were stuff along the lines of FML, do not want, lol wut, and every other stupid internet meme you can think of. It was like going into a box of chocolates hoping you'll get plain when there's really a cherry inside; it's just an unpleasant surprise. Gypsyhook strays completely away from anything Moore has done previously by going into a techno/electronic-driven direction with an EP of three "originals," four remixes, and a ridiculously random Japanese rendition of "Mora."

First track, "Gypsyhook," essentially sets the tone for the rest of the EP. Albeit annoyingly catchy (as is "Mora"), it shows how much worse Moore's vocals have gotten since we last heard him in FFTL's Heroine. Not to mention the song's chorus rips off the theme song to Clarissa Explains It All . (I can't make that up)

Throughout the EP, the vocals continually get worse. They're incredibly grating and headache inducing, so the only redeeming quality is when it's just the music playing, but even that eventually gets boring. As far as the rest of the tracks go, first single "Mora" is marketable and radio-friendly so I guess it's a good thing no one listens to the radio anymore. The remixes done by The Toxic Avenger, LAZRtag, DMNDAYS, and Dan Sena are dull and repetitive but honestly, I don't think any artists could save the music on this EP anyway.

All in all, you shouldn't judge something based on the cover, but Gypsyhook's art is almost dead on to how the music is: it's of Sonny Moore vomiting.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) Gypsyhook
02) Mora
03) Copaface2
04) Gypsyhook (DMNDAYS Remix)
05) Mora (LAZRtag Remix)
06) Mora (Toxic Avenger Remix)
07) Copaface2 (Dan Sena Remix)
08) 海水
Produced by: Noah Shain

LinksMyspace - Amazon MP3 -

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 122
05:08 PM on 04/17/09
XchrisX
nothing
User Info.
I probably shouldn't but I like it
05:09 PM on 04/17/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
Nice review. Bad, bad, bad album.
05:10 PM on 04/17/09
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Would never listen to this. But when is The Audition Review expected!? You're reviewing it right?
05:25 PM on 04/17/09
Young Machetes
Wasteland Explorer
User Info.
I dunno. i think he has talent, granted this EP didn't showcase it. I like Mora though.
05:26 PM on 04/17/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Would never listen to this. But when is The Audition Review expected!? You're reviewing it right?
No, I am. I just got the webrip, so once I get a better quality copy, it won't be long after.
05:30 PM on 04/17/09
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
No, I am. I just got the webrip, so once I get a better quality copy, it won't be long after.
Awesome, can't wait.
05:42 PM on 04/17/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Hilarious, well-written review, Joe.
06:30 PM on 04/17/09
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
RIYL: Changing poopy diapers, working in a sweat shop, pain, suffering, and BrokenSUCK's iPod tech.
07:13 PM on 04/17/09
Broclee
Dude, this is so Inception.
User Info.
This is a god-awful release. Much much much worse than I anticipated it being, and I had the lowest of hopes.
07:32 PM on 04/17/09
Max_123
@HeyMaxSup
User Info.
I really think he hadn't hit puberty yet when he recorded vocals on Dear Diary, he could sing all high then, and then look at anything he's recorded after that
07:45 PM on 04/17/09
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
09:00 PM on 04/17/09
DiamondSea
User Info.
This is a good writen review. I completely disagree with the reviewer's opinion on it though. Though each to their own. I can see why some people wouldn't be a big fan of this. I am actually a really big fan of his voice. His voice is unique and stands out to me, which is better than alot of vocalists out there with rather generic voices. My only complaint with this EP is that there are better songs he could've picked to be on his first release like Signal.
01:20 AM on 04/18/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
This is a good writen review.
Hahaha love the irony here
06:04 AM on 04/18/09
JLPullano
User Info.
It took forever for this EP to come out and I still can't believe there's only 3 original tracks. wow.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos