AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dead To Fall - The Phoenix Throne Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.75
Production 7
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 68%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.63
Musicianship 8.08
Lyrics 7
Production 8.04
Creativity 7.21
Lasting Value 7.38
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Average: 76%

Dead To Fall - The Phoenix Throne

Reviewed by: Pat Marquez (10/05/06)
In times like these where it seems as if the music industry is dominated by online programs such as iTunes, E-Music and Fresh Tracks, does anyone else feel as if the kids nowadays are losing touch with everything that is a CD? There is so much more to the music when you purchase the actual album and hold it in your hands. The artwork, credits, lyrics; all of these aspects are something the artist has put a lot of time and meaning towards. For me, I will never convert to buying my CD's online. I love going to the record store and browsing, I consider my CD's a collection. Although I don't judge music simply based on the album artwork, it is always a nice plus to have something visually and musically blow you away simultaneously. Sometimes I want to take out my Mastodon inserts and frame them, it is brilliant art work and it adds something wonderful to the music. Dead To Fall's latest release, The Phoenix Throne, is a magnificent display of everything I consider excellent album art work. However in this case, the art surpasses the music. I still find this album really good, but just a little formulaic. The strongest points of this album are Kelly and Nelson's guitar work. I find the percussion lacking and the lyrics are somewhat basic. All together though, you will find this album conventional.

Upon second listen of the album I really think that The Phoenix Throne opens quite powerfully. "All My Heroes Have Failed Me" will have you jumping and singing along. However, it is really slow in progression. You may find yourself losing interest after a while, which is a common theme on the album. Besides how bad ass it sounds when Hunt (Vocals) belts out "All my heroes have failed me, and all your heroes will fail you" the lyrics still fall short of anything noteworthy. One of the toughest songs on the album "Womb Portals" holds the best break down throughout the album. Yet again, you will find guitars that sound very similar to most of the other tracks on the album. It is a great song, but I found myself thinking - "didn't I just hear this?"

The stand out track on the album is "Smoke & Mirrors" where it feels like everything comes together. The song opens with a lot of intensity and gives me hope that this album will get better as I continue to listen. Dead To Fall is more or less a band that I am trying to convince myself to like. "Smoke & Mirrors" is the song that makes up for the first two tracks that did almost nothing for me. I have heard that they have a pretty tight live show and some of there older stuff was pretty cool sounding, so I am sure most kids are pleased with this album. The best way to describe The Phoenix Throne is as the average kid in school, they aren't going above in beyond. With my metal, I want intense and technical guitars. Dead To Fall have created a predictable yet fun album. If that's what you're looking for, than this album is for you.

Band InformationMyspace I PureVOLUME

Edited by Jaime Durante

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
02:59 PM on 10/05/06
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
User Info.
accurate. i rated it a 6.4 i believe. I liked villainy and virtue however.
03:01 PM on 10/05/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
accurate. i rated it a 6.4 i believe. I liked villainy and virtue however.
Yeah, I mean I feel like I was let down. For some reason, I thought this album would be a lot better.
03:05 PM on 10/05/06
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
User Info.
Yeah, I mean I feel like I was let down. For some reason, I thought this album would be a lot better.

ya im with you there. I have no idea why i would expect something good but i did haha. I dont know why i think villainy and virtue is good either, but oh well. Great live band regardless.
03:08 PM on 10/05/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
ya im with you there. I have no idea why i would expect something good but i did haha. I dont know why i think villainy and virtue is good either, but oh well. Great live band regardless.
Yea, I really need to check them out.
03:12 PM on 10/05/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
who is jaime durante?
03:13 PM on 10/05/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
who is jaime durante?
World class editor, she works for New York Times, Tokyo Red Sun, Chicago Sun-Times... and a few others. Fucking expensive to hire her, but she gets it done for me.
05:29 PM on 10/05/06
gonz
///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\
User Info.
Yeah, you named the only two memorable songs basically. Those two songs are pretty awesome though so I agree with the score.
05:29 PM on 10/05/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
wow the tokyo red sun!
05:46 PM on 10/05/06
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album ruled. A lot of people say it's completely changed. But anybody that knows anything about Dead to Fall knows that they've always wanted to have more of an influence like Eery Melodic Black Metal stuff. The riffs in this album are pretty defining in today's hardcore scene, and they're super catchy. It's weird, I think Pat and I are complete opposites. haha but I do agree with the point you made on not buying music via internet. hahaha
05:52 PM on 10/05/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
This album ruled. A lot of people say it's completely changed. But anybody that knows anything about Dead to Fall knows that they've always wanted to have more of an influence like Eery Melodic Black Metal stuff. The riffs in this album are pretty defining in today's hardcore scene, and they're super catchy. It's weird, I think Pat and I are complete opposites. haha but I do agree with the point you made on not buying music via internet. hahaha
Hey man it's all good. I am actually very happy you took the time to post about your views. That's all I want, I want someone to say that the album is great. The riffs are heard a lot, I guess that is my beef. I def want to see these guys live, but when I listen to this album... I'm not feeling it... if you catch my drift.
07:47 PM on 10/05/06
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey man it's all good. I am actually very happy you took the time to post about your views. That's all I want, I want someone to say that the album is great. The riffs are heard a lot, I guess that is my beef. I def want to see these guys live, but when I listen to this album... I'm not feeling it... if you catch my drift.
I'm a bit one-sided too. I love the band. Played shows with the guys. Went to a few Chicago Bears games with Jon their vocalist, and they're just cool dudes. I think some of their solos are really unique and the all instrumental track "Corpse Collector" was really intense. Although quite simple I thought the chugging patterns mixed with the deeper harmonies had a cool effect. Although to some me saying Melodic Black Metal is a little odd, but if you listen to the tri-chords and the eery sound, it's got a lot of that influence. I personally find this album better than NLT but it's all in your own point of view really.
07:15 AM on 10/06/06
ben weapon
romeo a go go
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well...I enjoyed teh review and agree and disagree with some of the points made.

Pat seems to be one of the cooler AP staff.

I own all DTF's three records and got each as they came out. They have gotten progressively better and more technical and interesting but all are worth owning. This is definitely the most consistent album song wise.

Gotta remember that teh line up has changed album to album almost completely bar Johnathon the singer. thats nuts he has kept it together. The new guys have definitely been listening to alot of early opeth.

Without sounding too shameful, Pat you should check out my band. We have toured the UK several times, played with Bleeding through, The Bled, Alexisonfire we also did the UK leg of Taste Of Chaos as well.

If you like Melodic Tech Metal ala Misery SIgnals...give us a listen mate.

www.myspace.com/mymindsweapon

You WONT be dissapointed.

later x
01:57 PM on 10/06/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Awesome guys, I'm really stoked to see that you took the time out to prove your points. I think Nights Like These and Dead To Fall have two very different sounds but in the same veign of music. I am always going to look for bands that sound kind of similiar to NLT... DTF has more of that melodic black metal and to be honest, I am not sure if I am even really a fan of that genre at all. However, I figured I'd give Dead To Fall a listen after a bunch of kids told me they were awesome. It seems to be that a lot of people are really digging the band.

Ben... IM me dude when you get a chance -- PatMarquez13. I will review your album if you get in touch w/ me.
08:18 AM on 10/08/06
Spencer Robson
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i only disagreed with the percussions statement. good review non the less, i understand how you can be bored with it, but i personally love it, their best effort so far
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests