AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Cattle Decapitation - Karma Bloody Karma Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 7.75
Production 9
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 10
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 90%

Cattle Decapitation - Karma Bloody Karma

Reviewed by: Pat Marquez (11/01/06)
Cattle Decapitation… one band name that I will never forget. How could you? It may a cliché name for any metal band, but one that will definitely never slip your mind. However, that's really all it is, a band name; nothing more, nothing less. You could most likely find a ton of names that are more "out there" if you were to scan through Metal Blade's catalog of albums. Nevertheless, being the kid that refuses to stop at just the band name, I requested to review this album. Judging by the artwork I knew that Cattle Decapitation's latest release Karma Bloody Karma was going to be very attention-grabbing to say the least. What may come as a surprise to any person that has any minimal interest in checking out a band with such an insane name, is the fact that they are strongly pro-vegetarian. Most of their lyrics are brutal tell all tales of slaughter houses, animal abuse, and even finding punishment for those who don't approve of their views. Trust me, I found it hard to believe as well. Just based of the artwork from their albums you would never be able to tell these guys were all about PETA. Travis Ryan and the rest of Cattle Decapitation has stated that this release is one of their most aggressive and hateful albums they have ever put out. As you listen to the music, it isn't hard to see that Mr. Ryan wasn't lying. This is down right technical, bloody, and intense metal.

As I do my best to pay close attention to the album, I find that the guitar work truly sticks out and is the commanding force of almost every single track off of Karma Bloody Karma. Josh Elmore is straightforwardly one of the most talented metal guitarists that has been around for awhile. You may not know, but this is Cattle Decapitations fifth full length release. Unfortunately, I am jumping on the bandwagon now. Frankly, I am disappointed that I didn't hear about Elmore's talent until now, the guy is absolutely amazing at shredding his guitar. This is technical metal mixed with blood and gore. "Total Gore" features vocals from Joey Karam of The Locust. The song is a proclamation asking for gore and death, "Do You Want Total Gore" he belches. You can feel your face simply melting away as he picks, strums and pries at his guitar. One of the many tracks off the album that displays of his superb guitar talent would be "Alone At The Landfill." Towards the end this song, you begin to hear those awkward growls and screeches that were found on the Khlyst album. Karma Bloody Karma is a record that is chock full of haunting sounds. Death, pain, and the sounds of mutilation are heard through out. This record was not written to mend your broken heart, it was written to rip it out.

Combined with their interesting artwork, pummeling music and very out spoken message in support of the vegetarian lifestyle; Cattle Decapitation pack a dreadfully strong punch. If you deem yourself a fan of music that is rapidly changing and incredibly consistent, with over the top fast riffs and blast beats, Karma Bloody Karma is an album that is surely worth purchasing. Cattle Decapitation's name alone speaks volumes about the band, and the stage antics are to match. The lyrics are filled with violence, hatred, aggression and horrid descriptions of life and death filled with blood and gore. This is a band that is up front and gets to their points quickly. They openly discuss ripping people to shreds and the lead vocalist has been known to wear a "beef jerky" face mask. If you want to raise a few eyebrows, simply tell anyone you know that your latest favorite album is Cattle Decapitation's Karma Bloody Karma and then actually spin the tunes of for them, I am sure you will get a huge kick out of their next few facial expressions. Make it even more interesting, let them read the lyrics and yell along. Who knows, maybe you both will find a new connection with the vegan routine and begin to practice a new lifestyle… or you may be taken over by the music and start trying to kill each other. Either way, this is a fantastic release that is sure to please any avid metal fan.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
08:30 PM on 11/01/06
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
good review, I agree Pat, a lot of people will overlook this simply because of the name, but its a super solid album
08:32 PM on 11/01/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
good review, I agree Pat, a lot of people will overlook this simply because of the name, but its a super solid album
Thanks for checking it out. Such an amazing band though... so talented.
09:07 PM on 11/01/06
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Thanks for checking it out. Such an amazing band though... so talented.
totally, the guitar work on this album is pretty intense. I love the tone.
09:24 PM on 11/01/06
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The guitar work is tight... But I think the main talent lies within the vocals. Seeing this band live was completely ridiculous and the ranges that their vocalist can extend to are unhuman. Although if I were Cattle Decap. I would definately take any reference to Khlyst as an insult. That band disgusted me.
09:28 PM on 11/01/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
The guitar work is tight... But I think the main talent lies within the vocals. Seeing this band live was completely ridiculous and the ranges that their vocalist can extend to are unhuman. Although if I were Cattle Decap. I would definately take any reference to Khlyst as an insult. That band disgusted me.
Really? I thought it was so interesting and abstract. Maybe a little bit to much, but still a great band none the less.
09:35 PM on 11/01/06
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really? I thought it was so interesting and abstract. Maybe a little bit to much, but still a great band none the less.
Haha dude read my review of it. It's pretty humorous.
09:44 PM on 11/01/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Haha dude read my review of it. It's pretty humorous.
Post it here bro.
09:48 PM on 11/01/06
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well I don't want to post reviews i'm posting elsewhere... I'd eventually like to review for a bigger site because my current one sucks. But I don't want to post reviews i've posted elsewhere here. Idk maybe I'll post a few and see what people think.
09:49 PM on 11/01/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Well I don't want to post reviews i'm posting elsewhere... I'd eventually like to review for a bigger site because my current one sucks. But I don't want to post reviews i've posted elsewhere here. Idk maybe I'll post a few and see what people think.
Well, what is the link?
10:01 PM on 11/01/06
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well, what is the link?
Hey I just submitted it to the site. But you can check it out at: http://www.skylinepress.net/review222.php

I submitted that review plus 2 reviews for Willowtip bands Arsis and Electro Quarterstaff.
10:08 PM on 11/01/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Awesome, I will read them dude.
10:09 PM on 11/01/06
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Awesome, I will read them dude.
Sweet dude definately tell me what you think. I'm heading to bed. Later.
10:13 PM on 11/01/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Sweet dude definately tell me what you think. I'm heading to bed. Later.
I will, check them tomorrow.
11:57 PM on 11/01/06
djjazzyjeff
wings|teeth
User Info.
so very often upon reading these reviews i consider giving a band a shot that i had ignored before, only to realize how much of a lazy bastard i am to simply take the time to type "myspace.com/(whatever band)." it would be so nice for lazy bastards like me if links were provided.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests