AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Windsor Drive - Bridges Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 5.5
Production 8
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 88%

Windsor Drive - Bridges

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (07/24/09)
Windsor Drive - Bridges
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: May 26, 2009

Windsor Drive -- the name sounds like it could be the title of one of those stylized teen dramas on the CW network, the kind that depicts suburban kids' experiences with fleeting romance and features girls who are always way hotter than any of those I went to school with. As it turns out, the moniker is apropos, as Windsor Drive's music would make a fitting soundtrack for such a program's heart-rending breakup scenes and passionate makeout sequences. In much the same way that you still feel compelled to watch shows like this despite the fact that once you've seen one, you've seen them all, Windsor Drive's polished piano-and-guitar approach is played to the point of being apathy-inducing, yet their captivating melodies somehow keep you listening.

Bridges is a five-track EP that showcases a band that seems bent on achieving stardom. Their press kit claims the band draws influence from Coldplay, Death Cab for Cutie and Keane, but this album doesn't seem to aspire to Chris Martin's lofty ambitions, doesn't contain Ben Gibbard's darkly poetic musings, and doesn't embody Keane's distinctly Britpop flair. A more accurate comparison might be to Copeland, were Copeland's focus more aimed at immediately digestible melodies instead of shimmering, majestic soundscapes. Windsor Drive's sound is characterized by sparkling vocals, prominent piano leads and guitars that seem to glide in from afar and never get up in your face. Lyrically, the band doesn't stray far from the prototypical yearning professions of love, a far cry from the work of the aforementioned bands, lacking the Brits' grand, sweeping gestures and Death Cab's often grim introspection.

Bridges is the type of effort that one would expect to attract attention from major labels looking for the next marketable act, as their lustrous pop sound and syrupy, sentimental themes make their music sound destined for TV and movie placements. The music all sounds a bit homogeneous, but that never stopped a band from blowing up (see The Fray), so it wouldn't be implausible to predict great success in Windsor Drive's future. The masses will surely eat this stuff up, but the discerning listener will recognize this for what it is -- capable musicians making professional, palatable pop music that ultimately lacks substance.

Recommended If You LikeWe Shot the Moon's Fear and Love
Melee's Devils and Angels
Copeland's Eat, Sleep, Repeat
Raining and OK's The Devil on Your Shoulder
Jack's Mannequin's The Glass Passenger

Check out Windsor Drive on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
09:14 AM on 07/24/09
davidarechiga
davidarechiga
User Info.
Meet The Tide was creative and original. I dont think this ep messures up.
10:15 AM on 07/24/09
rockonpub
is lala
User Info.
I thought it was top notch!
12:50 PM on 07/24/09
imtimwhoareyou
Student, photographer, etc.
User Info.
Hmm... I liked the stuff I heard of theirs from their first album, but I never got around to buying it... Maybe I'll have to check them out again.
04:08 PM on 07/24/09
porttheman
SERENITY NOW!
User Info.
A Great band and a really great group of guys. I wasnt too impressed with this EP as much as i was with Meet The Tide.
09:11 PM on 07/24/09
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
I'll have to give this a listen. I think this is a quality group of musicians.
06:46 PM on 07/26/09
subwaycollision
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really like this band.
05:43 AM on 07/29/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I dig this stuff. But then again it fits me to a T, so I probably should.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS