AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Young Guns - Mirrors Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 9.33
Production 10
Creativity 9.33
Lasting Value 9.67
Reviewer Tilt 9.83
Average: 97%

Young Guns - Mirrors

Reviewed by: sheslostcontrol (07/16/09)
Young Guns Mirrors
Record Label: Live Forever Records
Release Date: June 22, 2009 (EU)

Sometimes you just hear a band, and you instinctively know that they're destined for great things. Young Guns are one of these bands. Haven't heard of Young Guns yet? Soon you will. Already garnering a Kerrang! Award for Best British Band despite being a brand-new, up-and-coming band with only one EP, Young Guns are something entirely special and definitely one of Britain's biggest hopes for further musical world domination, beginning to gain attention for their energetic performances, infectiously catchy rock anthems and debut EP Mirrors. Mirrors is a very uniquely great EP, the sort you rarely come across, that showcases exactly what this band are about, producing four brilliant songs with stomping drum beats and sing-along choruses, fronted by 'The most fake Half-Norwegian in the world' Gustav Wood, a leading man determined to run away with more than a few girls hearts. Fellow Kerrang! readers will already know of this band, probably from the memorable interview in Issue 1268, which featured a double page of Wood and his fellow band mates shirtless.

Out of the four songs on Mirrors, "Weight of the World," is by far the stand-out. From the opening riff, followed by pounding drums and guitars, you know that you're in for something very special. It's quite simply, an amazing rock anthem, and a song that should be on every rock lovers playlist. It's almost too much to bear, how utterly amazing this song is the first time you listen, almost as if you've found the key to great modern rock. All of the songs are definite attention-grabbers, with "There Will Be Rain" being slightly weaker than the other three tracks, including of "Daughter of the Sea," which grabs you instantly with it's slow start and melodic build up. Then there's "In the Night" the first single, which isn't quite as good as "Weight of the World" but is a close contender for stealing it's place as my favourite track the more I listened to it. If there's one thing to say about Young Guns, it's that they are by no means perfect and polished, but it's that the sounds they've created are so raw and fresh, so pulsating with delightful musical bliss, that you're instantly captured.

Young Guns should be everyone's favourite new band, and are definitely part of the way there, with the amount of attention they've been receiving recently. Although, they've not quite hit their stride just yet, soon they'll blossom into something polished, and perfect and utterly out of this world, but for now, bask in the raw energy radiating from this EP, and revel while you can in how insanely brilliant a brand new band can be. If you check out one band this year,make sure it's Young Guns. You won't be disappointed.

Recommended If You LikeRock; Fightstar; Rock Anthems; Sing-A-Longs

Check out Young Guns on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
06:15 AM on 07/24/09
Blaise&Panthia.
Too much too much too much too much
User Info.
Are you by any chance Gustav Wood?
12:45 PM on 07/24/09
chelseaxsmilexD
AP.net's official punching bag
User Info.
Are you by any chance Gustav Wood?
Yeah.. besides the whole "Gustav is dashing" it's a great review.
11:21 AM on 07/25/09
sheslostcontrol
Anarchist in The UK
User Info.
Haha, I'm not him, but I do think that about him. The fan girl in me is coming out XD I did edit that slightly, I hadn't realised just how much I rambled on about that! Haha.
Thanks for the comments (:
07:32 AM on 07/29/09
MorningStar10
the other Kyle.
User Info.
Im a fan of Rock and Sing-alongs. They must be my new favourite band!

I saw them play with Deaf Havana, they were quality, i hope they do well.
02:42 AM on 09/04/09
the1
Blink One Eighty Who??
User Info.
I fucking love this band!!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music