|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
Exotic Aquatic, The - 01.07.09
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
The Exotic Aquatic - (Jason Soroka)[myspace]
1. How did you get your band name?
John (of Mother Nevada) and I were in Jersey City about to see Bright Eyes, Feist, and The Magic Numbers a couple years ago. We walked passed a fish store called "The Exotic Aquatic" and I thought that that would be a killer band name. Months later when we were looking to change our name, I remembered The Exotic Aquatic and suggested it. Luckily it stuck.
2. How did this band get started?
This band has been an ever growing progression. It started out with me writing songs in my room and recording them in my basement. Then one by one my friends fell from the sky and into my band.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Right now: The Gaslight Anthem, Beiruit, mewithoutYou, Ryan Adams, The Black Keys, Biggie Smalls, The Tallest Man On Earth, Big L, Sigur Ros, AA Bondy, The Faint, Bon Iver, Women, Radiohead, Portugal. The Man, The Mars Volta, Cold War Kids, The Dear Hunter, etc.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Bob Dylan during Highway 61, Radiohead during Amnesiac, Lil Wayne so we can toke blunts on the regular, and mewithoutYou cuz they are borderline incredible.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
The pill popping animal kind.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Cuz we are not robots!
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
A blues song. Its difficulty would depend on your ability to shred the gnar.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Whoever rigged the vote.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Their obessession with cookie-cutters.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Cousin Larry's with The Bronze Episode. It was the last date of the tour, so we got super shitty...
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Everything. Without it, I am nothing.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
"Body Count Blues"
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Folly, Get Real, The Banner, etc.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The ability to see through walls cuz I'm a hax0r.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
If my "making it" you mean "making money" then haha no way.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I aspire to be Gregory House.
18. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Spend all my money at Vintage Vinyl.
19. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I actually buy CDs.
02:05 PM on 10/26/09
great band. Need some new music already!
More From This Author
Buy the Music