AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Spoon - Transference Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8
Production 9.25
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.36
Musicianship 6.46
Lyrics 6
Production 6.46
Creativity 6.43
Lasting Value 6.36
Reviewer Tilt 6.32
Average: 63%
Inside AP.net

Spoon - Transference

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (01/21/10)
Spoon - Transference
Record Label: Merge
Release Date: January 19, 2010

What a joy it is that bands like Spoon exist. Easily one of the most consistent bands of the last decade-plus, they have become almost synonymous with their indie-cool swagger and their calculated and nuanced approach to making records, which employs grit and polish in perfect measure. Their unfailing commitment to craftsmanship makes choosing a best or favorite record of theirs a difficult and rather pointless exercise. With the announcement of each new Spoon release, you have a pretty good idea of what you're going to get, and yet, each one is no less impressive because of it. Spoon's steady performance isn't so much a reflection of predictability as it is dependability.

Needless to say, I was excited to hear Transference, and even more so after hearing its spiky single "Written in Reverse". Here, wrapped up in a little over four minutes, is pretty much everything that makes Spoon so enjoyable. The pounding piano and clanging guitar have that percussive quality that allows them to propel the song forward as much, if not more so, than the drums, and Britt Daniel delivers his lines with that slightly off-center bark that's become a trademark. It's all unmistakably Spoon, and it's hard to suppress a little smile when listening to it.

While it's unquestionably a strong single, "Written in Reverse", as you'd expect after the diversity and dynamics of 2007's Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, is not exactly representative of Transference as a whole. Going against the trend of their last few albums, Spoon decide against opening with an easy hook, instead going with the free-form introduction "Before Destruction". It's a fitting beginning to a record that shies away from the typical verse-chorus song structures. Songs like the fleeting "Is Love Forever?" sound like only snippets of an idea compared to some of their previous work (nine of the ten tracks on Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga fell between three and four minute run times). It has some fun with echoed vocal effects and packs enough of a punch that it's refreshing and makes for a better cut than another more fully-realized track in a the traditional Spoon vein might have been.

"The Mystery Zone" heads in the opposite direction, as a rare five-minute tune, and also makes for an unusual addition to the Spoon catalog, as it's the rubbery bass line that keeps it plodding along. It's notable early on that we're listening to a more reserved band here, and that feel continues on "Who Makes Your Money". It plays like an analog to "The Ghost of You Lingers" from Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga as a wandering but tense piece whose release comes in the form of the song that follows it. The suspense of "Ghost" broke with "You Got Yr Cherry Bomb", while "Money" makes for an equally taut lead-in to the aforementioned "Written in Reverse".

"I Saw the Light" and "Trouble Comes Running" recall the Spoon from a few albums ago, with insistent post-punk strumming and ever-so-slight lo-fi production. These brash numbers set up for the very refined lullaby "Goodnight Laura". The piano has always been a hallmark of the band's sound, but here, it's used to supply melody rather than cadence. It's the guitar that takes a similar turn on the record's most stunning track, "Out Go the Lights". Sacrificing rhythmic effect for texture, Daniel's guitar creates a mood that flies almost directly in the face of the band's usual impregnable bluster. The wide open and exposed vibe is definitely something the band should explore further in the future.

Fans will recognize "Got Nuffin" as the title track and single from their EP released last summer. It stands out with "Written in Reverse" as one of the few moments on Transference that have real single appeal. The decision not to focus on immediate pop hooks is really a blessing, though, as this album showcases Spoon at their loosest and most diverse. The closing track "Nobody Gets Me but You" alone displays a level of artistic freedom they don't seem to have allowed themselves to enjoy in some time. Leave it to Britt Daniel and Company to drop a release on us that continues to push their creative boundaries in so many ways, yet remains so singularly Spoon.

Track Listing1. Before Destruction (3:17)
2. Is Love Forever? (2:07)
3. The Mystery Zone (4:59)
4. Who Makes Your Money (3:44)
5. Written in Reverse (4:18)
6. I Saw the Light (5:32)
7. Trouble Comes Running (3:05)
8. Goodnight Laura (2:28)
9. Out Go the Lights (4:36)
10. Got Nuffin (3:58)
11. Nobody Gets Me but You (4:56)

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 33.
01:26 PM on 01/21/10
packattack227
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Woot Spoon
02:40 PM on 01/21/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
I keep hearing about this release, as if the universe is telling me "listen to Spoon". If I don't check it out, I think I'll upset the natural balance of nature...
03:41 PM on 01/21/10
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
in the process of discovering spoon. girls can tell and kill the moonlight are two fantastic records. just about to listen to gimme fiction for the first time.

good review, looking forward (but not too far) to this.
05:40 PM on 01/21/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
album rules so does the review
07:48 PM on 01/21/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Awesome job Jeremy. I'm really loving this album.
05:24 AM on 01/22/10
timb89
Australian Music Roundup
User Info.
its sort of the like passion pit meets midnight juggernauts.
05:39 AM on 01/22/10
squared82
why burn poor and lonely?
User Info.
So good.
06:06 AM on 01/22/10
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
No RIYL?
07:21 AM on 01/22/10
poopjones
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great review, pretty much sums up my opinion on the album...wasn't expecting them to go in this direction, but i'm not complaining
07:54 AM on 01/22/10
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
yesss, i'm too lazy to check their myspace too...

edit: i checked it out, and it's indie more in the sense of Arctic Monkeys, and it's pretty good, I'll certainly listen to the album.
10:02 AM on 01/22/10
k-murda
User Info.
I can't wait to hear this record. Written In Reverse are the choice notes!
11:13 AM on 01/22/10
sayyes
I'm damaged bad at best
User Info.
solid review
11:44 AM on 01/22/10
RX XR
User Info.
I keep hearing about this release, as if the universe is telling me "listen to Spoon". If I don't check it out, I think I'll upset the natural balance of nature...
i feel the same way..
12:56 PM on 01/22/10
fowruok
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a great album.

Only three weeks in, it's already been a terrific year for music.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests