Password

Album Review

Sent By Ravens - Our Graceful Words Album Cover

Sent By Ravens - Our Graceful Words

Reviewed by
Sent By RavensOur Graceful Words
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: April 20, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Fueled by a desire to carry God’s word to people, Sent By Ravens debut album, Our Graceful Words, is a faith-oriented album full of pure passion and emotion. Created with the help of Emery’s Matt Carter and produced by Aaron Sprinkle, the Emery influences are clearly prevalent throughout much of the record, though Sent By Ravens are finding their own sound.

Lyrically, singer Zach Riner writes songs of hope inspired by his Christian beliefs and faith. However, the lyrics are relatable regardless of one’s religious beliefs, for the ubiquitous theme of the record is of love. Riner is candid and writes with true sincerity throughout Graceful.

“New Fire” begins Our Graceful Words with piercing guitars led into Riner’s soaring vocals. The track gives an exact taste of who Sent By Ravens are musically; toward the end of the track, Riner’s true vocal range is clear, and as he screams his lungs out, an Emery vibe is undeniably present. “Honest Heart” is a powerful track about being uncertain about a decision and feeling regret that showcases the abilities of guitarists Andy O’Neal and JJ Leonard.

“Beautiful List” is a love song expressing Riner’s love for his wife and her being all he has wanted. “Trailers Vs Tornados” is one of the heaviest cuts on the record, full of fervor and enthusiasm while “Jack and Jill” begins with an almost country sound and feel to it, but very quickly picks up as Riner’s vocals kick in. Having trust in God is the theme of “Philadelphia” and “Salt and Light,” the slowest, most stripped down, real worship song on the album. Both Riner’s vocals and lyrics are preeminent on “Salt and Light” and the emotion felt is at its pinnacle when he sings “and I came here with nothing but I left with everything.” This track is easily the most moving song on Our Graceful Words.

“This Awakening” picks the album back up to top notch again. Paced by swift guitars and screams; the song is one of the heaviest on the record. Sent By Ravens’ musicianship is at its finest on “Stone Soup,” and Dane Anderson stands out on drums. The song doesn’t lost its force for a second. Final track “True Bride” is slower and focuses on Riner’s vocals and Jon Arena’s bass play. The track ends the album with the theme of love and knowledge that “a true bride doesn’t deserve to be misunderstood.” The track is full of the feelings of being in love, ending Our Graceful Words on a faithful note.

With only their debut album, Sent By Ravens have certainly figured out their sound and place as a band. After already touring with bands like Every Time I Die and Staind, they are now touring with Emery and have found a perfect home for themselves with Tooth and Nail records, alongside similar bands such as Emery and The Classic Crime. As Sent By Ravens continue to progress and expand their message, with such commitment and dedication to spreading faith, their true potential will easily be reached.

Listen To"Trailers Vs Tornados"; "Salt and Light"; "This Awakening"; "New Fire"

Recommended If You LikeChristian Rock Music; Emery’s In Shallow Seas We Sail; The Classic Crime; other Tooth and Nail releases

myspace.com/sentbyravens

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
05:33 PM on 04/20/10
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
I actually really like this album!
I fell in love with the e.p. the effects and fashion of a prayer, but the only thing that you missed is how Aaron Sprinkle killed Trailer vs. Tornado...
Listen to the original one... and you will admit that it's not only better but it sounds like Aaron Sprinkle cut pieces from the original song and put it into this order that makes no sense...
The album is still very good though
05:47 PM on 04/20/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I actually really like this album!
I fell in love with the e.p. the effects and fashion of a prayer, but the only thing that you missed is how Aaron Sprinkle killed Trailer vs. Tornado...
Listen to the original one... and you will admit that it's not only better but it sounds like Aaron Sprinkle cut pieces from the original song and put it into this order that makes no sense...
The album is still very good though
I have not heard the original version of "Tornado." I'll have to check it out.
08:58 AM on 04/21/10
xChrisAfromVAx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Very true.. the first version of Trailers vs. Tornadoes was much better.
12:29 PM on 04/21/10
taborbrown
www.twitter.com/taborbrown
User Info.
Just picked up this album. About to give it a listen through. From what I have heard from their myspace, It should be solid.
08:13 PM on 04/21/10
koohyuko
User Info.
I'm gonna have to agree with everyone here and say that the original Trailer vs Tornadoes is vastly superior. It went from the one of the strongest tracks on "The Effects of Fashion and Prayer" to one of the weaker songs. Thankfully, they still do the old version live.
11:55 AM on 04/22/10
dps0610
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this album is very good. one of my favorites. these guys are great ppl and they deserve everything that is about to come their way. but yes the original tvt was far better. and i wish they would have recorded their intro to the new fire that they play live. its sick.
03:32 PM on 04/22/10
etwardjetward
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
faith ya say?
09:37 AM on 04/23/10
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Need to check this out. Nice review.
09:55 AM on 04/23/10
soulineyes
User Info.
great review of an amazing album! Thanks!
10:24 AM on 04/23/10
chanwise
User Info.
I think you mean "New Fire" instead of "New Heart" in the review...
02:57 PM on 04/23/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I think you mean "New Fire" instead of "New Heart" in the review...
Ah thanks, edited.
02:58 PM on 04/23/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Need to check this out. Nice review.
It's a solid album. Thanks!
06:55 PM on 04/25/10
Stearman77
User Info.
Good solid album.
07:21 PM on 04/26/10
harjo28
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
love this album and these guys! can't wait to see what they do in the future!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos