Username
Password

Album Review
 Album Cover

Reviewed by
FoalsTotal Life Forever
Record Label: Sup Pop / Transgressive Records
Release Date: May 10, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
After an album named Antidotes, Foals have returned with Total Life Forever. It doesn’t take a genius to deduce that something must be going right, at the very least mentally, for the 5-piece post-Futureheads-whatevers. But for a band who could most accurately be compared, both to and after, a cup of black-as-night coffee, I still find such eau de cologne (French for “happiness”) a bit shocking. Second track “Miami” bounces over Yannis Phillipakis’ telephone connection-quality vocals and winds up landing, despite its name, closer to Stockholm, Sweden. But even when things sound lorry (British for “hunky-dory), like on opener “Blue Blood,” the lyrics become sobering in their uncertainty, “You’ve got blood on your hands / I know it’s my own /… / Of all the people I hoped it’d be you.” The track literally shimmers, but its joy is painted on like fool’s gold.

So if anything is clear on Total Life Forever, it’s that nothing is. For those biting their nails waiting for another “Tron” or “Red Sock Pugie,” there’s the door. Instead the climaxes are more cinematic in that they support the whole song rather than propping up otherwise lackluster stanzas. Take breathtaking single “Spanish Sahara.” Any half-Foals fan would recognize from the 7th second that there will be a monumental payoff. However, a new listener may give up before Phillipakis can hook them with his elegiac falsetto. But with time the song burgeons outward with the military precision of drummer Jack Bevan and the rocket-powered sways of guitarist Jimmy Smith. While the song was clearly created for a sole energy-releasing moment, there is ample attention paid to the build-up. It’s a song that shows the band recognizing comments about their “gimmick,” while also busting through critic-created chains with creative songwriting.

What I hope never leaves a Foals record is the tension. Whether it’s on The Tough Alliance-inspired “After Glow,” which works itself into a high-pitched frenzy, or the melding of urban grit and tribal simplicity of scary-if-you’re-alone closer “What Remains,” Phillipakis always creates an anxious environment. And while there are more than a few people who can’t take the man’s British yelps, it adds yet another level of uncertainty. His voice can take many different forms, and it can take said forms in the blink of a sixteenth note. Such ambiguity makes each song an adventure. Case in point, “This Orient” begins with schizo electronic boinging before becoming one of the most post-punk tunes before changing again into a hyper Appleseed Cast-type number.

Each song hides more than enough intricacies, even for the jittery music fans of 2010. It’s the ambiguity of styles, plus the insistence on bringing the listener along for a journey, that makes Total Life Forever such an endlessly interesting statement. Whatever Foals are, and whatever they are to become, will certainly be noteworthy. And I don’t think it’s wrong to say that what it is to come won’t necessarily be the best, but it will be worth inspection.

Recommended If You Like: The Futureheads, Battles, Johnny Foreigner, stuff like that

I know the guy.www.myspace.com/foals

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
11:00 AM on 04/23/10
Kill_the_radio
Don't wait too long to come home
User Info.
Interesting. Gonna check this out. Blake, you always introduce me to great records.
11:07 AM on 04/23/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Blake, I know I've said it before, but I adore your reviews.
I only a liked a handful of songs off of Antidotes, but I will definitely be checking this out.
11:09 AM on 04/23/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
I'll have to give this a listen tonight. Antidotes was the shizz.
11:10 AM on 04/23/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
love this album
11:40 AM on 04/23/10
barkingincision
i am white rune
User Info.
stoked to hear the whole thing
11:41 AM on 04/23/10
carlllll
www.myspace.com/thedeeringuk
User Info.
I love Foals and Spanish Sahara blew me away when I first heard it, so I'm super excited to hear this album.
11:48 AM on 04/23/10
J.Hearne
Is This It
User Info.
brilliant band and nice review man.
11:52 AM on 04/23/10
Ryan Imhof
Registered Member
User Info.
loved the first album, need to pick this up.
12:20 PM on 04/23/10
lifeofaspectatr
User Info.
great review dude. when the bass drops in blue blood. i was sold. one of my fave bands and im very happy at the way this record turned out. just wish they would come to the states more! sheesh!
12:34 PM on 04/23/10
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
Will have to check this out. So much good music lately
12:44 PM on 04/23/10
Shatter_Glass
Take Apart Your Head
User Info.
I'm loving letting the record sink in. These kids are siiiick.
01:13 PM on 04/23/10
youngmountain
http://littlewaves.bandcamp.com/
User Info.
Blue blood is by far the best song on this album, superb tune.
01:43 PM on 04/23/10
KingsCrossing
What are you waiting for?
User Info.
This destroys Antidotes in my opinion. Great record.
02:19 PM on 04/23/10
WakingTheMisery
<3
User Info.
I don't think this album has much lasting value but it is pretty good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos