AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Reality Suite - Blueprints for Building a... Album Cover

Reality Suite - Blueprints for Building a...

Reviewed by
Reality Suite - Blueprints For Building a Better
Record LablL Self-released
Release Date: October 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Who?

Reality Suite are a New Jersey quartet. This is their debut EP.

How is it?
Mehhh.

The hardest thing about reviewing music is having to be honest all the time. Knowing that whatever you write can either shape or harm its creator. More often than not, many of the musicians profiled in said reviews are struggling blue-collar citizens, living paycheck to paycheck and just tring to live out a dream. The New Jersey quartet Reality Suite is four more individuals that fit said description. Their six-song EP isn't exactly a failure, but it's far from a home run.

The centerpiece of Reality Suite is sultry vocalist Melissa Cicchelli, who has an above-average vocal timbre than can at times sound radio-ready and polished and other times open-mic bound and reckless. Album opener "Evolution Queen," begins with New Order synths and spiky guitars and things seem headed towards the promised land. Cichelli's vocals are confident, polished and inviting, and the chorus is catchy, urgent and full of swagger.

But something about the entire performance feels insincere. Now granted the band is probably singing what they feel, but nothing about the song feels that way. This just feels like a band trying to ride the coattails of predecessors and find success. If that sounds like a rude and unabashed dig, listen to the song "The Life," and try and find something worth praising? Cicchelli's vocals, maybe? Snappy drumming, maybe?

On the acoustic ballad "Can I Keep You?," and the crestfallen "Break You," the quartet actually sounds sincere, earnest and without pretense. While the lyrics to both are certainly heart-on-the-sleeve and at times cringeworthy, at least its an attempt by the band to not be something they aren't.

Writing editorial like this is never easy. From outward appearances, the four members of Reality Suite seem like honest, hardworking, upstanding citizens just trying to pursue their dreams. But nothing about this EP is worthy of endless acclaim and one can only hope that on their next release, the group fixes said mistakes and makes an immediate impact. At best right now this is just mediocre, ho-hum pop-punk without any real sense of distinction, originality and/or flair.

Track Listing 1. Evolution Queen
2. Wingman
3. Manchester
4. Break You
5. Can I Keep You?
6. The Life

Reality Suite is Melissa Cicchelli: lead vocals
Joe Padula: guitars, vocals
Antonio Valenti: bass, synth, vocals
Brian King: drums, synth, vocals

Recommended If You Like Oh God, I don't know. Kenotia. Flyleaf, PaperDoll, Paramore

Find Them Here Website

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
11:21 AM on 11/03/10
honestykills
User Info.
just the fact that the album name is eerily similiar to Park's Building A Better _____ is offensive to me.
11:26 AM on 11/03/10
And Hours Pass
Signed, Sealed, Delivered
User Info.
Good review! Quick fix -

Quote:
The centerpiece of Reality Suite is sultry vocalist Melissa Cicchelli, who has an above-average voice timbre than cat at times sound radio-ready and polished and other times open-mic bound and reckless.

Is there also a reason for the line breaks in certain parts of the review?

Otherwise, again, good review!
11:40 AM on 11/03/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Good review! Quick fix -

Is there also a reason for the line breaks in certain parts of the review?

Otherwise, again, good review!
Its not intentional. I'm using TextWrap and it screws with things. Thanks for the copyediting. Much obliged.
12:00 PM on 11/03/10
mayday
houston, we have a problem.
User Info.
Quote:
While the lyrics to both are certainly heart-on-the-sleeve and at times cringeworthy, at least its an attempt by the band to not be something they aren't.
This line feels weird too, in an otherwise good review.
12:07 PM on 11/03/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This line feels weird too, in an otherwise good review.
Um. The lyrics are pretty banal and childish. But it's just an attempt at a love song. Its not dressed up with imagery and dancing around themes and ideas. Its just plain and simple, which I guess is all this band really is. Does that make any sense? Yeah, I worded it wrong, but not every sentence is perfection. Sorry I wasn't on my A game.
01:09 PM on 11/03/10
astretch4glory
User Info.
just the fact that the album name is eerily similiar to Park's Building A Better _____ is offensive to me.
thats what i thoughts its like they took anberlin's blueprints for the black market and park's building a better.
01:58 AM on 11/04/10
cereal4life
User Info.
That's a pretty horrible album cover!

Greg, have you heard Pete Yorn's latest album? I know you're a Yorn fan and I thought you would have done a review.
04:51 AM on 11/04/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
That's a pretty horrible album cover!

Greg, have you heard Pete Yorn's latest album? I know you're a Yorn fan and I thought you would have done a review.
I think its total shit. I've given up on Pete Yorn.
05:28 AM on 11/04/10
Piieterr00
something scares me in this place.
User Info.
nice
08:11 AM on 11/04/10
cereal4life
User Info.
Y'ouch! Is is really that bad? I haven't heard it myself. I was waiting for a review of it by you before I decide to purchase it. You're on the mark and I usually agree with your reviews.

That said, I won't give up on Pete Yorn. I still love his first two full-lengths.
11:28 AM on 11/04/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Y'ouch! Is is really that bad? I haven't heard it myself. I was waiting for a review of it by you before I decide to purchase it. You're on the mark and I usually agree with your reviews.

That said, I won't give up on Pete Yorn. I still love his first two full-lengths.
Its just garagey, and loud and him trying to be something he's not. Black Francis apparently produced it, if that means anything to you. I don't know about Day I Forgot, that puppy made me pissy. But musicforthemorningafter is a must-own. I personally love Nightcrawler, but he hasn't done anything good since then. The ScarJo duet disc was pretty good, I guess. Anyways, I maintain he's a washed up bum (although he's not even 40) But my point is, not a lot of quality lately, dude better turn it around in a hurry.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos