Username
Password
Exclusive News
Have a news tip? Submit news.
Exclusive
Inside AP.net

Holiday Exclusive: Valaska

Posted by: Keagan Ilvonen (12/22/10)
Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is a moving classic that everyone can find meaning in and enjoy. Well, we are lucky enough to bring you Valaska's haunting spin on the classic as an early Christmas present. You can stream/download the song off his AP.net profile. Let us know what you think in the replies and happy holidays!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
11:34 PM on 12/22/10
robotscantlove
User Info.
damn!
super good
11:41 PM on 12/22/10
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
this is a fantastic version of this song
11:42 PM on 12/22/10
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Really good. Still love the Jeff Buckley version most though. If Aaron Marsh recorded a version of this song I could die happy.
12:06 AM on 12/23/10
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Not bad. Has a good voice, though the cover is a bit bland. There are a hundred other male vocalists who can do what he did here but decided not to, since they realize Jeff Buckley already tried a cover of this.

Although I think the comparison to Sleeping At Last on his page is valid, and maybe Ryan O'Neal could bring something interesting to this song.
12:26 AM on 12/23/10
danielinskeep
i can spell confusion with a K.
User Info.
This is my all-time favorite song and I found this cover to be very enjoyable. Well done.
12:30 AM on 12/23/10
Deadbolt23
Jacob
User Info.
Pretty standard. It'd be hard to cover this song badly because it's such an incredible song, but there's nothing special about this. I expected more originality from the "haunting spin on the classic". Oh well...
02:16 AM on 12/23/10
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Not bad. Has a good voice, though the cover is a bit bland. There are a hundred other male vocalists who can do what he did here but decided not to, since they realize Jeff Buckley already tried a cover of this.

Although I think the comparison to Sleeping At Last on his page is valid, and maybe Ryan O'Neal could bring something interesting to this song.
Would love to see a Sleeping at Last version.

I enjoyed this version though.
05:18 AM on 12/23/10
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Trouble is, every cover of this song is always a cover of the Jeff Buckley version (in influence terms anyway). It's not a bad thing. But I find it a bit silly when people say they cover Leonard's original version without name checking Jeff, when they've probably been massively influenced by Jeff's version.
05:23 AM on 12/23/10
blinkme
Sinatra blue
User Info.
Pretty standard. It'd be hard to cover this song badly because it's such an incredible song, but there's nothing special about this. I expected more originality from the "haunting spin on the classic". Oh well...

Agreed.
05:43 AM on 12/23/10
Ender217
User Info.
I laughed when he sang"It goes like this: the force, the fiss"
05:43 AM on 12/23/10
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
It's alright I suppose
05:57 AM on 12/23/10
guitarnick20
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't get the affinity people have for singers with this kind of voice. That soft, emotionless, voice. It works I guess for some stuff, but too many male singers sound like a Ben Gibbard rip off. It just bugs me. It also bugs me that not enough people recognize the rest of Jeff Buckley's catalog and only go "oh yeah, the guy who did Hallelujah right?" Ugh. Rant over.
08:50 AM on 12/23/10
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It always pisses me off when Buckley gets credit for his arrangement when he nearly copied it from John Cale.

Don't get me wrong.. Buckley's version is great, but all credit should go to Cale.
09:27 AM on 12/23/10
cshadows2887
User Info.
It's ok.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News