AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Young Maths - Thank You, Goodnight! We Are... Album Cover

The Young Maths - Thank You, Goodnight! We Are...

Reviewed by
The Young Maths - Thank You,Goodnight!We Are...
Record Label: Independent
Release Date: May 15, 2010
Take an indie band out of south Texas, have them listen to a bunch of punk records, and then tell them to write a dance record. That is how I would best describe the Young Maths, a band out McAllen Texas that I would guess love to party. Their EP Thank You, Good Night! We Are… combines funky bass lines, danceable beats, some pretty solid guitar work, and catchy lyrics yelled out by a frontman who has obviously knows how to have fun. Though only five songs long, the band is able to go through a few different styles, without straying far from their own distinct sound.

The album opens with a pretty smooth drum and bass part, and that seems to be the how most of their songs begin. The bassist here really does a phenomenal job, not in playing anything really difficult or technical, but the bass is really the driving force behind each track, working with the drums to produce a tight rhythm section, which really becomes the backbone of this EP. The guitars mainly just accentuate the basic rhythms, either with strumming, smooth riffs, and a few distorted solos, and provide a solid background for the vocals.

The vocalist of the Young Maths appears to use a style I could only refer to as ‘yelling melodies’. He can clearly sing, as evidenced in the upbeat opener and subdued “Gay Bars” where he mostly whispers, but his vocals tend to turn into a yell at points, especially throughout “The Science”. Lyrically, the songs range from stories of ex-girlfriends being sluts, getting really drunk at gay bars, lie detectors, and apparently just getting down on the dancefloor, where certain other things may occur… However, despite subject the Young Maths are able to create catchy melodies throughout their entire EP, whether they are sung, whispered, or yelled.

The Young Maths show a real strength in being able to craft songs with a range of styles. The album opener is a fun and upbeat, the second track and slower with a darker vibe, while the third track kicks the speed back up, but is a little more aggressive and still retains the darker tone. The album closes with two more chaotic dance tracks, each a little weirder than the last. Though only five songs long, The Young Maths create a fun record, perfect for a short underground dance party, or for getting blackout drunk with your friends/by yourself. Not recommended.

Listen to music on their bandcamp, or follow them on twitter @theyoungmaths.

Recommended If You LikeFun, the band Fun, Eels, Algernon Cadwallader, to party.
This review is a user submitted review from incognitojones. You can see all of incognitojones's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
01:00 PM on 02/07/11
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
they sound like fun. and algernon cadwallader...?
01:18 PM on 02/07/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
they sound like fun. and algernon cadwallader...?
I just threw an indie punk band in there. And both are fun/yelly.
01:29 PM on 02/07/11
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
I just threw an indie punk band in there. And both are fun/yelly.
oh, i see. i'll have to check it out then. good review.
02:00 PM on 02/07/11
incognitojones
User Info.
oh, i see. i'll have to check it out then. good review.
Thanks man.
03:21 PM on 02/07/11
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
04:45 PM on 02/07/11
robuki
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wait, so the album is not recommended, or drinking alone is not recommended?
06:57 PM on 02/07/11
incognitojones
User Info.
Wait, so the album is not recommended, or drinking alone is not recommended?
Drinking alone is not recommended. That's one sign of alcoholism.
12:59 AM on 02/20/11
withgreetings
Crazy
User Info.
one of my friends band's played with these guys.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos